The joy was short-lived

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. This arguement makes about as much sense as what is better....a dozer or a combine? I have a Bombardier Sonoma.. like a JD Gator only dark green. It is handy to throw a roll of barb wire to go patch a fence...hard to carry a roll on a horse. Used it to go back and forth to the barn when my back was broke. Or ride the grandkids and their gear down to the lake to fish. And I have a Polaris Ranger. I have used it to pull a jon boat down the road to another lake . Even pulled a hay rake with it when a tractor was down. Before those were around, I have had a platform on a 3-point hitch behind a tractor to do the same things with, so they are replaceable. But hell no, you cant sort cows, rope calves etc, with them. There is no replacement for a horse.. ATVs etc, are a nice luxury, but can be done without. There is no substitute for a horse when a horse is needed. Those who don't know this, are ones who can't ride, are scared of horses, or never been on one. Calvary was always superior to infantry. Nothing had more impact on the history of mankind than the horse. Life has always been hard, since the beginning of time. The 2 greatest gifts from God were the horse and the dog.
I do sort cows, pairs, bulls, yearlings with a quad. Not in tight pens mind you but in larger areas. Pair newborns out of heifer pen daily when we are calving. Slow is fast, cow don't know what a watch is. Those who don't know this don't work cattle much or understand them very well. 😊

My FIL is doing better. How he went to near death to more vibrant than he has been in years. Worried its a rally. Before my MIL passed, she spent a day gasping for air in a catatonic state. We alerted family that the end was near. We sat with her all day and into the night. As i walked by her to go home, i said goodbye and as i exited the door she said, I'll see you tomorrow. I was like, WTH.. Then the next day she was busy, talking, calling people, eating, sitting outside.. That lasted a day. Hospice nurse called it 'The Rally'. Sure enough, she fell back into her catatonic state and had one more rally before she passed. We're a little worried this is what his happening. But we're also dealing with a alzheimers patient. So we just dont know. Once things settle down to what we can depend on, we'll get back on the 4wheeler debacle.

My FIL is doing better. How he went to near death to more vibrant than he has been in years. Worried its a rally. Before my MIL passed, she spent a day gasping for air in a catatonic state. We alerted family that the end was near. We sat with her all day and into the night. As i walked by her to go home, i said goodbye and as i exited the door she said, I'll see you tomorrow. I was like, WTH.. Then the next day she was busy, talking, calling people, eating, sitting outside.. That lasted a day. Hospice nurse called it 'The Rally'. Sure enough, she fell back into her catatonic state and had one more rally before she passed. We're a little worried this is what his happening. But we're also dealing with a alzheimers patient. So we just dont know. Once things settle down to what we can depend on, we'll get back on the 4wheeler debacle.
Just enjoy it like it is. It's hard advice to follow, but you've got to live every bit as in the moment as somebody with Alzheimer's/dementia/parkinson's dementia/etc if you want to get the most out of that EOL time with them.

I do sort cows, pairs, bulls, yearlings with a quad. Not in tight pens mind you but in larger areas. Pair newborns out of heifer pen daily when we are calving. Slow is fast, cow don't know what a watch is. Those who don't know this don't work cattle much or understand them very well. 😊
Exactly right, gcreek. Mr FH never wears a watch, he says cattle and horses can't tell time.

Pretty much the same deal here. And I no longer need to pasture rope since Draxxin and Pneu-Dart.

We went through the same thing with my grandmother. She had dementia and it was a roller-coaster. We finally got a Dr who worked with a lot of hospice patients and walked us through it. He was an amazing guy.
We've found that anytime his routine is messed with, it sets him back. We try to keep everything the same.

ROFLMAO! You WISH you were good enough to be a "Yellowstone want-to-be"!!!! In scenes where they are roping in the arena, the one where John Dutton went looking to buy some, the scenes where a trainer( played by Sheridan himself) brought some to the ranch for him to look at...were Taylor's 6 and 7 figure NCHA, NRHA, and NRCHA champions. A few I recognized, even. He had a training session, a "cowboy" school for the actors for a few months before filming, and the only time stunt men are used is in the scenes where that kid rides broncs in the rodeo. In the episodes when the kid was sent to the 6666, all the extras were actual 6666 cowboys. The only actor on Yellowstone that didn't have to attend Taylor's school, was the actor that plays Lloyd. He actually trained the others in that school. Taylor did the same with the actors in 1883, except for Elliot. Faith Hill actually learned how to drive a team very well. Taylor said she was actually the best of the actors that drove wagons.
Taylor can ride and has shown some pretty high powered horse for a long time. There were some high profile trainers on the show as well including a few Hall of Famers along with the cowboys from the 6666

Taylor can ride and has shown some pretty high powered horse for a long time. There were some high profile trainers on the show as well including a few Hall of Famers along with the cowboys from the 6666
Yep, Loved seeing Buster on that episode. I reckon that may have been the last thing he did, because he died last summer. I hung out with him in 77 when he won the Futurity on Peppy San Badger.

It was nice to see him being honored but made me a little sad seeing him in the wheel chair after a life like his
I remember him as friendly and a talker! Met Matlock in Augusta in 76 I think.. He was the opposite...kinda gruff and stand-offish..didn't say much til after the cocktail hour before the sale! I was at his sale at his ranch, though, in 1979 when he cut on San Peppy with no bridle. I bet all of these "cowboys and ranchers" on here, that say their 4 wheelers and side by sides are better than a horse, could take the handle bars or steering wheels off, and do all of this sorting and penning etc,. they claim to do?!!
62106332_2119843074984847_9134888924508848128_n.jpg

I remember him as friendly and a talker! Met Matlock in Augusta in 76 I think.. He was the opposite...kinda gruff and stand-offish..didn't say much til after the cocktail hour before the sale! I was at his sale at his ranch, though, in 1979 when he cut on San Peppy with no bridle. I bet all of these "cowboys and ranchers" on here, that say their 4 wheelers and side by sides are better than a horse, could take the handle bars or steering wheels off, and do all of this sorting and penning etc,. they claim to do?!!
Buster would talk it up more but Matlock was my favorite, he was a gruff old guy but he had a heart of gold. Matlock road Peppy San and started Mr San Peppy but Buster showed him and won on him which led him to getting Little Peppy although I think my favorite was Matlock and Jesse James. I remember him on a video cutting 2 cows on old Jesse and then reaching up and pulling his bridle off and cutting another. In his final days Matlock rode a few horses for me, I still have the last one he rode for me, she's 29 this year. I miss old Matlock, I always loved visiting him and helping him around his place.

Buster would talk it up more but Matlock was my favorite, he was a gruff old guy but he had a heart of gold. Matlock road Peppy San and started Mr San Peppy but Buster showed him and won on him which led him to getting Little Peppy although I think my favorite was Matlock and Jesse James. I remember him on a video cutting 2 cows on old Jesse and then reaching up and pulling his bridle off and cutting another. In his final days Matlock rode a few horses for me, I still have the last one he rode for me, she's 29 this year. I miss old Matlock, I always loved visiting him and helping him around his place.
That is how I knew him the best...Jessie James. Back in the 80's I managed to secure some Jessie James grandaughters. Weren't a lot around, JJ didnt get to breed much., because the ranch was pushing Poco Bueno 1st and foremost. I had 2 Poco granddaughters as well. l bred these and the JJ grandaughters to my Mr, Gunsmoke grandson. Damn, I miss these old bloodlines. In 2002 I found the last living QH son of Gunsmoke located in south GA.... and bred my Skipper W mare to him in 2002 and 2004. Both were colts and made great horses. Lot of "cow" and a lot of athletic ability.

Did you know Peppy San was owned by Chunky Woodward / Douglas Lake Cattle Co. in British Columbia? My brother in law had an own daughter and a stud by Peppy San. We bred a mare to the stud. Resulting filly was the best horse we ever owned. Cowy and tough as nails. I used her for a ranch horse and heeled on her for several years. This was her first colt………
011E84D7-0379-4FF0-8E8C-19ED2357C889.jpeg
Warren, in spite of your cheap shots there are some like me that have been there, done that, got the proof and are happy to be doing things how they do them now.

Did you know Peppy San was owned by Chunky Woodward / Douglas Lake Cattle Co. in British Columbia? My brother in law had an own daughter and a stud by Peppy San. We bred a mare to the stud. Resulting filly was the best horse we ever owned. Cowy and tough as nails. I used her for a ranch horse and heeled on her for several years. This was her first colt………
View attachment 28508
Warren, in spite of your cheap shots there are some like me that have been there, done that, got the proof and are happy to be doing things how they do them now.
Well Hoss, any "cheap shots" from me are all return fire. All I ever said was this horses vs 4 wheeler debate is foolish. Like I said, I use them too, for hauling fencing materials that would would be hard to fit in a saddle bag, or a few bales of hay that would be hard to carry on a horse with you. etc. And yes, a person could possibly gather up a herd in a large open pasture, move them over against the fence and ease them down a fence line with one. I do call BS on some that said they could cut and sort cattle just as good on one, though. Ain't nobody no where got a 4-wheeler or ATV that manueverable, nor damn sure with the riding skill, to do what your bro-in-law ( or is that you?) in the pic above is doing on that horse.

And the point that the other many are making is that there are places where you CAN'T get the same end result with an ATV too... like up over rocky, rough country, trying to shag cattle of out of brush, and including sorting/cutting as well... no ATV/SxS can respond to and hold off an animal when you need to like a man on a horse can, etc. They both have their place.

True enough, if you can figure out another way to accomplish those tasks so that you don't HAVE TO cut or hold off an animal in the way you would do from horseback, kudos to you. There's always another way... but it might be hard to find a more satisfying way than when you're partner works so intimately united with you as does a good horse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts