The joy was short-lived

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. 6 yr old is about when you start serious training on one. I won't ride mine til they are 3, and I start them in a bosal. At 4, I go to a snaffle, and they are 5 before they go to a curb. Old school ropers will tell you a horse doesn't have his mind right to carry you to NFR til he is 10. I watched that ranch horse sale. The $12,000 average was due to the 3 and 4 year old prospects they sold for 4 figures Older, finished horses with earnings, brought 2 and 3 times that $12k. A few sold in the $50k to $60k range.
Cutters are long past futurities by 6. While I don't agree with starting colts at 2 and pushing them that hard there are thousands that get started that young. Most do stay sound.

Cutters are long past futurities by 6. While I don't agree with starting colts at 2 and pushing them that hard there are thousands that get started that young. Most do stay sound.
I am not talking about futurities. Big push right now in both the show world and the racing industry to set 4 as the minimum age. Any real horseman knows better than to race a 2 or 3 yr old, Or compete hard on them. The ones fighting it are the pieces of sh*t that don't want to have to wait 4 years to get any money.

I am not talking about futurities. Big push right now in both the show world and the racing industry to set 4 as the minimum age. Any real horseman knows better than to race a 2 or 3 yr old, Or compete hard on them. The ones fighting it are the pieces of sh*t that don't want to have to wait 4 years to get any money.
You don't refer to many others without ridicule or name calling do you?

We use to be big into horses. Truck was always hitched to a trailer that could haul 8 horses and did almost every weekend. I had my ranch horse and my drill horse. We did all our own breaking and training. Our kids though would have the best horses, often bought after being retired from roping. As they got older, they would ride the ones we raised. But, now, i prefer my 4wheeler. My trusty ranch horse is getting old. Not really up to starting over. I dont hit the ground like i use to.
1928718_51596091738_6976_n.jpg

Mine will stay where I "park" them. They learn to ground tie before they are old enough to ride.
I was riding the old mare once when I got a phone call, I threw her raines over the pasture gate and got distracted. There she was the next morning standing like she was tied. RIP DEE DEE20140824_172654.jpg

Nice looking horse, NETE. How is she bred? How old in this pic?"
She was 27 years old in this picture 🥰. She was a Poco Bueno granddaughter, I paid $800 for her at 4yo. Once you put a halter on her she had great ground manners. She had several thousand miles in the mountains of Washington, Idaho and Montana on her when I had to put her down at 34 years. It happened to be my birthday 😢

Man, do we have a lot of pots calling kettles black on this thread! Actually, I reserve the ridicule to those who deserve it and the names to those who have earned them. Like the p.o,s.'s I mentioned in my post.
So basically anybody that doesn't agree with you, your math, or that calls you on your bulls**t...

I swing gates open from my ATV seat all the time...

Closing them can be more of a challenge. Haha
I'll grant that you can swing one open on it, but closing it definitely changes the game. For that, you might have to crank up the Shoebarus.

So basically anybody that doesn't agree with you, your math, or that calls you on your bulls**t...
Burden of proof stands with the accuser, and you're not exactly any better about getting all twisted up over stuff yourself.

I'm just going to keep feeding the flames. You can't open a gate while still on your ATV.
Oh sure you can......... although I don't have one of these... could get kinda spendy to put them everywhere you might need one too!

1680295720798.png

Oh sure you can......... although I don't have one of these... could get kinda spendy to put them everywhere you might need one too!

View attachment 28367
You don't need it to fold all the way, just halfway so you can catch some sick air to prove your superiority to your livestock right in front of their eyes.

She was 27 years old in this picture 🥰. She was a Poco Bueno granddaughter, I paid $800 for her at 4yo. Once you put a halter on her she had great ground manners. She had several thousand
miles in the mountains of Washington, Idaho and Montana on her when I had to put her down at 34 years. It happened to be my birthday 😢

Who was her sire? And the other grandsire? Did you get any foals out of her> If so, by who? How long ago was it that you had to put her down? Sprry tp ask so many questions, but she's as noce a mare as I have seen. I miss the foundation horses....they were the best of the best, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts