The joy was short-lived

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be an a$$ but in time it took you to start this thread and type out all your replies you could have talked to a Honda rep and ill bet gotten the ball rolling on having it fixed.
So if you read any of the post you'd know we're dealing with a dying family member, so that comes first. Husband got the 4wheeler back, because i need it. Soon as things settle down here, we'll get with the company. The dealership is balking because the manufacturer will probably not cover it because the dealership failed to inspect it before it was sold. So 'they' are responsible. It may be they have no mechanics that can replace it right now. In fact, my guys ordered a rear end for the orange one and the service guy ordered a totally wrong part. When they took it back they said, "Oh yeah, that guy is new and orders the wrong parts all the time." WTH. Who is supervising the new employees when they know they keep making mistakes? We felt that buying a new 4wheeler there was safe because it was new and we opted to not get the extended warranty at 1200 bucks (they later called and said it was on sale for 750) Anywhoot, we had a interior bearing in the motor go out while under warranty on the orange one at i think 15,000 miles (warranty is milage unlimited and they'll tell you to your face miles dont count) but when it comes down to it miles do. Had to fight them on that and won. Warranties they offer are basically crap, hense the reason we do our own repairs now.
I'm going to request a new 4wheeler or a refund and start over. That is, if we can find one.
Also questioned salesman on the average time something spends in the shop when you bring it in to be fixed. He said, "A day, maybe 2." I accidently laughed out loud. lol more like a month if you hound them, if not you'll get it back when they need the room.

And we all must remember Covid messed up a lot of things. Between the supply chain to people just dont want to work anymore. And things have gotten so expensive, places are starting to go under because its getting hard to sell anything. This was the only 4wheeler like i got in all of N and NE Texas...

Unfortunately we're all in that boat right now where companies just do not have qualified people in the right position.
We deal with it everyday and yes it is very disturbing.

Just keep yourself in their face and don't go away until you're satisfied because calling manufacturers right now is just as bad as dealing with the retailers. And if your problem is with the retailer it becomes really difficult.

We've had them just pack their bags and close the doors when they realize they've made $100,000 mistake on a proposal.

We have a situation with a major manufacturer that we placed an order with and the product had a 6-month lead time ....
after 5 months we followed up to try to get a ship date....they say we have nothing on order.

They can't explain why the order was canceled even after we received an acknowledgment from the factory.

Lack of talent is everywhere hurting us all in just about every industry.
Best of luck !

Covid and its lingering effects has caused tons of problems with my FIL. Some asshat gave him a prescription for a procedure he had that you aren't supposed to give to people with compromised kidneys. (it was also a procedure i felt he didnt need) SO, yesterday he was acting weird, more than usual with his dementia. Took him to minor emergency at his doctors suggestion and he had only 5% kidney function. No hospital in this area could take him. He needs to go to get on hospice, but has to go to a hospital to be evaluated first. They had to carry him by ambulance, over 100 miles to a hospital that could take him. He wants no part of it and the kidney function has affected what brain he has left. It was a struggle to keep him contained. Anywho, we never have just one disaster hit, we go months with calmness and then, we get hit in every direction.

So if you read any of the post you'd know we're dealing with a dying family member, so that comes first. Husband got the 4wheeler back, because i need it. Soon as things settle down here, we'll get with the company. The dealership is balking because the manufacturer will probably not cover it because the dealership failed to inspect it before it was sold. So 'they' are responsible. It may be they have no mechanics that can replace it right now. In fact, my guys ordered a rear end for the orange one and the service guy ordered a totally wrong part. When they took it back they said, "Oh yeah, that guy is new and orders the wrong parts all the time." WTH. Who is supervising the new employees when they know they keep making mistakes? We felt that buying a new 4wheeler there was safe because it was new and we opted to not get the extended warranty at 1200 bucks (they later called and said it was on sale for 750) Anywhoot, we had a interior bearing in the motor go out while under warranty on the orange one at i think 15,000 miles (warranty is milage unlimited and they'll tell you to your face miles dont count) but when it comes down to it miles do. Had to fight them on that and won. Warranties they offer are basically crap, hense the reason we do our own repairs now.
I'm going to request a new 4wheeler or a refund and start over. That is, if we can find one.
Also questioned salesman on the average time something spends in the shop when you bring it in to be fixed. He said, "A day, maybe 2." I accidently laughed out loud. lol more like a month if you hound them, if not you'll get it back when they need the room.
There's got to be another dealership around. We have a great one locally, but I know there are the bad apples. A little distance might be worth the effort.

I cannot speak for Honda but the common procedure for Kubota, Komatsu, Ford Tractor's 4wheelers and bigger farm utility vehicles is (or was back when) is to ship dry from the factory and the dealership does the 'make ready'.
(Kubota did change that some, once they got their Georgia plant up and running.)

Do I understand right, that it got 200 miles on it within a week?
I mentioned it to the guys at around 200 miles, at 1 week old.
Lot of miles in 1 week.
Usually tho there is a maintenance schedule requirement for 4wheelers, tractors, vehicles etc and the first one is pretty short. For 4 wheelers, it's usually within a month.. or # of hours and... or miles--whichever comes first.
Looks something like this:
honda maint schedule.jpg

What is often called rear ends or differentials, is now referred to as final drives. On 4wd, there's usually 1 for the front axle and another for the rear axle.

I cannot speak for Honda but the common procedure for Kubota, Komatsu, Ford Tractor's 4wheelers and bigger farm utility vehicles is (or was back when) is to ship dry from the factory and the dealership does the 'make ready'.
(Kubota did change that some, once they got their Georgia plant up and running.)

Do I understand right, that it got 200 miles on it within a week?

Lot of miles in 1 week.
Usually tho there is a maintenance schedule requirement for 4wheelers, tractors, vehicles etc and the first one is pretty short. For 4 wheelers, it's usually within a month.. or # of hours and... or miles--whichever comes first.
Looks something like this:
View attachment 27947

What is often called rear ends or differentials, is now referred to as final drives. On 4wd, there's usually 1 for the front axle and another for the rear axle.
Yep, i put a lot of miles on them. Just one round of checking cows, at sun up, mid day if i see something needing looked at, then before dark. Each round i go over 20 miles. Not always consistent, sometimes i go through different gates and take a short cut, depending on my mood for a certain gate. Sometimes cows are in back pastures so its a longer ride. But yeah, i put that many miles.
When we were looking at this 4wheeler, i mentioned to the salesman that the one i have now has 22,000 miles on it. He laughed and said thats normal. But, i think he thought 2,200 miles. And its not the only thing i drive, i'll take a mule or gator sometimes. Miles slack off after all calves are born, then almost none when we're feeding hay... figure the guys can look around for problems and if there is, they call me.
Potato potahto... when i say rear end, most people are going to know what that is. Oil change light came on just a few days of me driving it. I think its at 150? I put the most miles on it in one day looking for the phantom lost steer. I know i counted 11, but the guys said there were 12. So i spent hours combing the woods and creeks for tracks. Confident there were only 11 now. BTW, i do very little driving on the roads, maybe i mile a day each round. My 4wheeler is very important to me, very.

If that maintenance schedule holds true to your model, the final drive lubricant should be checked after the initial (first) 20 hours of operation. New equipment almost always requires more checks when really new to take into consideration break in.

Oil change light came on just a few days of me driving it. I think its at 150?
That would be about right.
150 km, or 100 miles, or 1 month or (probably) 20 hours--whichever comes first. Same with the checking final drive lubricant.
hondaschedule.jpg

Reactions: mwj
Never even thought of that...

Did anyone check the front final drive?
When we checked to see why the final drive was squelching, son did check the front one and it was full. So, maybe whomever was filling them got a call, it was lunch time or whatever distracted them, failed to fill the rear one.
We could have checked it, but, like i mentioned i park it in one spot and there were no drips. No reason to check them when just a week or two old. And as far as I'm concerned it was ruined when i got it with 5 test miles on it.
In a few days husband will be able to call someone higher up. It helps to think on it a bit too, its good to not get in a hurry.
When i took it out this morning, i know i hear a whining sound... it might just be my imagination, but, it might not be.

Sounds like someone at the dealership messed up. Stinks to finally buy something new then it breaks down. I'm sure it'll get straightened out. If it's the dealer I'm thinking of they can be herd to deal with, especially at a time like CG8 is describing. Good luck with both. Dealing with dementia or alzheimers is hard.

Look on the invoice you have for the thing, I bet there's a line that says "PDI" (Pre delivery inspection).. you're paying for it, and that means all fluids checked, all systems are working properly, tires are at the correct pressure, it has fuel, oil, etc.
There is damage in that diff for sure, depending on how fast your ride it may not be too bad, but it's there, and it needs to be made right on a new machine
I run some old quads because I don't put many miles on them.. Mile a day kinda thing.. (dirt bike gets more miles) Only have a working odometer on one of them, it's a 1997 model and has 5k miles

Sounds like someone at the dealership messed up. Stinks to finally buy something new then it breaks down. I'm sure it'll get straightened out. If it's the dealer I'm thinking of they can be herd to deal with, especially at a time like CG8 is describing. Good luck with both. Dealing with dementia or alzheimers is hard.
Its the Harley place. We've had warranty problems with them before. And heck, if you do have to take something there, they'll have it for over a month. But its better than the polaris dealer in Paris. They actually told me for the warranty to work, i'd have to wash my 4wheeler off after each use. I cant even fathom. Although, the honda place did tell us that the bearing inside the motor was probably ruined by the dirt on the outside. lol.... oh and the unlimited mileage is limited.

Look on the invoice you have for the thing, I bet there's a line that says "PDI" (Pre delivery inspection).. you're paying for it, and that means all fluids checked, all systems are working properly, tires are at the correct pressure, it has fuel, oil, etc.
There is damage in that diff for sure, depending on how fast your ride it may not be too bad, but it's there, and it needs to be made right on a new machine
I run some old quads because I don't put many miles on them.. Mile a day kinda thing.. (dirt bike gets more miles) Only have a working odometer on one of them, it's a 1997 model and has 5k miles
Amazingly, no one can seem to find it. But, if we did get charged for that, i may ask for a refund just because we had to take time out of our day and haul it back to their shop... then back to pick it up. Each time is around a 60 mile round trip.

Its the Harley place. We've had warranty problems with them before. And heck, if you do have to take something there, they'll have it for over a month. But its better than the polaris dealer in Paris. They actually told me for the warranty to work, i'd have to wash my 4wheeler off after each use. I cant even fathom. Although, the honda place did tell us that the bearing inside the motor was probably ruined by the dirt on the outside. lol.... oh and the unlimited mileage is limited.
I've had trouble with them in the past. They're just really rude and not very helpful. I've had better luck in Mt Pleasant. Our Rancher has been down for nearly 6 months with a fuel issue. I won't take it back to Paris and haven't had time to run it to Mt Pleasant yet. They really cater to the Harley crowd though.

I've had trouble with them in the past. They're just really rude and not very helpful. I've had better luck in Mt Pleasant. Our Rancher has been down for nearly 6 months with a fuel issue. I won't take it back to Paris and haven't had time to run it to Mt Pleasant yet. They really cater to the Harley crowd though.
They just seem incompetent. And now that they say they'll just add oil to an empty rear end and be done with it, just shows you how much they care... wonder if they are charging people for a full replacement when they just topped it off with oil?
We called several other shops, including MtPleasant and they did not have this 4wheeler nor did they anticipate ever getting one.

They just seem incompetent. And now that they say they'll just add oil to an empty rear end and be done with it, just shows you how much they care... wonder if they are charging people for a full replacement when they just topped it off with oil?
We called several other shops, including MtPleasant and they did not have this 4wheeler nor did they anticipate ever getting one.
Yep. I thought about getting a new one late last year and nobody around had any Hondas with power steering. You must really use that thing. Mines 10 yrs old and has maybe 1,000 miles on it 😆. I bought it to use at a lease place then lost the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts