The Japanese perspective

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to go to my wife's family reunion this weekend. I looked forward to it about as much as getting a root canal. I'm not a big guy for crowds, anyway, but sitting around with 100 people I don't know for two days was a bit much. Anyway, my Brother-in-law who teaches English in Japan was back for this reunion so I tried to get an idea of what the Japanese position was on BSE. According to him, the American government representative meets with the Japanese government representative about once a week and demands that the Japanese border open to American beef and the Japanese response is
'You guessed it' Not until the American government opens the border to Canadian beef. Also, the American and Canadian borders are still closed to all Japanese beef products even though they test 100% of their beef. Interesting, eh?
On a slightly different topic, and don't shoot the messenger boys, he was telling me that the body count of Americans killed is about twice that of what they report. He told me that immigrants join the American army as a way of getting their green card, but if they are killed, they are not counted as American casualties. Is this true?

not to sound like an *ssh*l*, but her goes,
i dont know how true your "messenger" boy really was?
it sounds like he told you what you wanted to hear.
it seems that all other countries are anti-American and they seem to exaggerate what is really going on? (not 100% positive on that though)
Can I have references to your accusations?

look at our market we don't need Jap exports send them Canadian cattle and keep the Canadian cattle outa here!

I know I shouldn't response because I got voted out of here but you were talking about Japan and it remind me something I saw on TV.... In Japan, they have a brand beef called Kobe. They said they feed the cattle beer and whole grains and massage them everyday... Anyone heard about that? anyone here in the States does that and sell them? Just curious if there is a taste difference than regular beef.. THanks.

Good reporting Cattle Rack. I have heard the same stories. And it should be why should japan open its border to US beef when the US hasnt opened their border to Canadian Cattle. Lets get the borders open and get on with full business its in all of our best interests.

In regards to the bodycount rumor, I can assure you that no such thing is happening. The number of immigrant soldiers over here is minimal and the odds of them actually getting killed is smaller yet. Yes, it does happen but it gets reported the same. There is nothing in place within the system to "pre-identify" a casualty's citizenship. It's just more anti-war/anti-American tripe where truth is a hindrance to their objective.

it seems that all other countries are anti-American and they seem to exaggerate what is really going on? (not 100% positive on that though)

Specifically, he was talking about Mexican immigrants who migrated to the States as illegal immigrants. Don't know if its true, just know its the way its being reported in Japan. I did not ask him, more than to accuse his government of screwing up the North American beef industry.

look at our market we don't need Jap exports send them Canadian cattle and keep the Canadian cattle outa here!

You must be another one of these young guys like GP if you actually think its that simple.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3ps9inz8 said:
Not until the American government opens the border to Canadian beef.

CRR, I've heard something else lately that suggests there is a deal in the works to time the border opening so that it coincides with resumption of exports to Japan.

Is this disease control based on sound science? Not hardly! Its obviously trade related. But its probably the best way for it to happen and mitigate the impact on our markets. It just might work.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3gcr274l said:

You must be another one of these young guys like GP if you actually think its that simple.

Oh, and by the way, CRR. I hate to have to disagree with you again today. But Jake is nothing at all like GP! Not even close!

Texan":114byrei said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":114byrei said:

Oh, and by the way, CRR. I hate to have to disagree with you again today. But Jake is nothing at all like GP! Not even close!

Jake is much younger in age; but much, much, more mature in wisdom, and common sense. No there is no comparison. .

Cattle Rack Rancher":itg3ui4o said:

Specifically, he was talking about Mexican immigrants who migrated to the States as illegal immigrants. Don't know if its true, just know its the way its being reported in Japan. I did not ask him, more than to accuse his government of screwing up the North American beef industry.

If you haven't been paying attention I am young, I know it's not that simple but I didn't care to explain what all the legal affairs and the world affairs are. AND comparing me to gp is such a blow you are on my s|-|!+ list from now on.... that's about the worst thing I've been referred to as in years!

ok my mistake CRR I didn't read through the whole discussion so I'll take you off the list for now... lol still quite the blow

Cattle Rack Rancher":uz5ks92g said:
My apologies, I know you seem like a hardworking lad not to be confused with others who are not so hardworking.

I am glad to see that settled peacable. We don't need a big fight between two of the best people on this board.
I have a world of reaspect for the both of you. And even with his youth, I am sure we have all learned much from this teenager.

Cattle Rack Rancher- the info I have been getting lately about the Japanese negotiations are just the opposite. That the USDA went to Japan arguing the "North American beef" issue and that Japan would not buy it- They see it as Canadian, American and Mexican. That is why they will take Mexican beef, but not American or Canadian.

Now lately the USDA has backed off on this issue and has started to argue for US beef and they have gained some headway- but the Japanese still see Canada as having 2 BSE origin cows- and they want assurances from the USDA that the US can again segregate out the Canadian beef - and the border slipups with banned beef making it across the border is not reassuring to the Japanese. The biggest thing holding up the exports to Japan right now is how we can guarantee Canadian beef isn't mixed in.

I was told that Japan will not open exports before Nov. and probably not before the first of the year- also that the USDA probably doesn't dare change any of the Canadian border regulations until they have the Japanese talks finalized.

Something I just became aware of was the amount of advertising put out by the Asian (Korean, Japanese) beef producers about the dangers of American and Canadian beef- they are putting out a lot of propoganda to increase the value of their domestic product- which is making negotiations even harder.

Oldtimer":17ta69ot said:
........the Japanese still see Canada as having 2 BSE origin cows- and they want assurances from the USDA that the US can again segregate out the Canadian beef...........

Oldtimer, do you think this is possible? In other words, do you think the USDA and packers might be working on a deal to segregate that would satisfy Japan and that would allow them to open the border at the same time? What do you guys up there think?

Texan":2a62lxro said:
Oldtimer":2a62lxro said:
........the Japanese still see Canada as having 2 BSE origin cows- and they want assurances from the USDA that the US can again segregate out the Canadian beef...........

Oldtimer, do you think this is possible? In other words, do you think the USDA and packers might be working on a deal to segregate that would satisfy Japan and that would allow them to open the border at the same time? What do you guys up there think?
My understanding of this is that the Japanese want 100% of the beef tested, which the USDA will not allow this. Creekstone has volunteered to test 100% of the cattle that they kill and USDA will not allow them to do this. If this is true the USDA is costing cattle producers millions and millions of dollars in the value of our livestock; from the cow-calf rancher to the beef in the box.

Latest posts