the honey bees wintering outdoors

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
125_2529.jpg

125_2531.jpg

our yards are electrified and there was way more snow in there. But spring had started

That's what I thought. I let beekeepers use our land for galberry and tupelo honey. They hate bears. A couple of years ago one beekeeper had some hives torn up by a momma and three cubs. He didn't tell me about it till later but he called the DNR and they came and trapped the bears and relocated them. I had mixed feelings about this. I understood his plight but I also kinda liked having the bears on he property. Seems like someone should have asked first.

Funny, just a couple days ago a guy stopped by the ranch asking about putting some hives out. I said YUP go ahead. He asked about bears? I said sure , We got bears. :nod: That was that :shock: No bees on my place. :frowns: Oh well. :cowboy:

No free honey for you! :lol2: I used to get two cases a year from one of the guys until I finally told him I just didn't need that much honey. Looking in the empty cupboard, maybe I did. :lol2:

mnmtranching":1uvxkxbs said:
Funny, just a couple days ago a guy stopped by the ranch asking about putting some hives out. I said YUP go ahead. He asked about bears? I said sure , We got bears. :nod: That was that :shock: No bees on my place. :frowns: Oh well. :cowboy:

Like i said we have a lot of bears. A guy who likes to fly in the area counted 9 on one quarter of land (160 acres). We have gotten DNR to trap and relocate them but that was before the hives. That year a bear took down a cow due to lack of feed.
If you have a good fence with a strong current, bears are not usually a problem. And that is the key. Anything less than 5000v and a bear will walk through what ever you have. We put in a 5 ft ground rod, insulators on all the fence nails and insulated where ever the fence touched a post to get that 5000 cranks from a solar fencer.
However, i have been known to take the shot gun with me in the spring while working hives. At that time the fish in the ditch quit running, the berries are not out yet, and i am alone working in the hives.

I wish I could find someone to put bees on our place,I would even put up a fence.Where is a good place to find people that are into bees?

Jogeephus":2dna2obt said:
That's what I thought. I let beekeepers use our land for galberry and tupelo honey. They hate bears. A couple of years ago one beekeeper had some hives torn up by a momma and three cubs. He didn't tell me about it till later but he called the DNR and they came and trapped the bears and relocated them. I had mixed feelings about this. I understood his plight but I also kinda liked having the bears on he property. Seems like someone should have asked first.
Tupelo honey is sho-nuff good. We don't have any bears yet but they are about 50 miles south and they are hated, they are bad to tear fuel lines off power units and also tear up rice leaves. I hope we don't get them here.

Latest posts