The Great Hay Spirit

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Got the 3rd cutting done this year with only a couple of small issues. Very Thankful, but I will never ever use plastic twine again, ever. Feeling pretty satisfied with the hay quality and quantity this year.

snoopdog":1afz3lsi said:
Got the 3rd cutting done this year with only a couple of small issues. Very Thankful, but I will never ever use plastic twine again, ever. Feeling pretty satisfied with the hay quality and quantity this year.

My 3rd cutting just almost made as much hay as my first 2 combined. Put me in pretty good shape for the year.

snoopdog":2wdxsvh1 said:

Why don't u like the plastic twin ? That's all I use and like it better.

pricefarm":36sna4nl said:
snoopdog":36sna4nl said:

Plastic twine tends to end up in really bad places years after the fact.

pricefarm":8h1ffg9z said:
snoopdog":8h1ffg9z said:

I don't know if it's a tension adjustment or what, but my bales end up squatty with the plastic , could be something else? Is there anything I should do different ? I get great results with my setup and sisal.

The plastic twin is smaller so tightening the tension some would maybe help. I have never had to make any adjustments to my roller when I switched over.
As long as u cut all the twin off the roll you don't have to worry about it becoming a mess in the field later.

i picked up sisal twine as TSC for 7 bucks on clearance.. bought 25 (2) packs.

!!!

ddd75":3b4sgimy said:

!!!

That's a good deal. If I could get it that cheap then I would switch back to sisal twin. I think the plastic is 24$ for a 2 rolls

pricefarm":2t9zgt3b said:
ddd75":2t9zgt3b said:

!!!

That's a good deal. If I could get it that cheap then I would switch back to sisal twin. I think the plastic is 24$ for a 2 rolls

might still have some left, worth checking out

I just baled my last of the 3rd cut yesterday, gorgeous hay.. that 10 acre field gave me 60 tons of hay for the year.. pretty happy with that!

Now I have what is probably a stupid question , Are there any differences between the sisal rolls other than the footage ? And other than keeping it dry, any precautions for storage ?

chevytaHOE5674":3se8wyh6 said:
You guys and your 2nd and 3rd cuttings...

I just mowed 60 acres of 1st cutting yesterday.
Get your head around cutting your 60 acres 3 times...by the time you get to the third your pretty much ready for it to end.

shaz":1pfox9w3 said:
pricefarm":1pfox9w3 said:
snoopdog":1pfox9w3 said:

Plastic twine tends to end up in really bad places years after the fact.
thats why you cut it and pull it off the bales before you feed them.then burn the plastic twine.weve rolled up pretty close to 1000 5 by 6 bales all tied with plastic.we feed 10 to 12 bales a week and cit the plastic off.

1982vett":34meimdj said:
Get your head around cutting your 60 acres 3 times...by the time you get to the third your pretty much ready for it to end.

If the weather/climate would allow I'd gladly make a 2nd and 3rd cutting, that would mean I'd have to lease less acres. I have to make a couple hundred acres of single crop just to have enough for a winter UP here.

Latest posts