The Gray Squirrel

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The Gray Squirrel

Life must have been stressful, boring or maybe it was tradition. Whatever the cause, farmers I knew growing up drank whiskey, wine and beer. I recall their names because they were an important part of our childhood; Mike Ryan, Shearl Miller, Lawrence Barry, Joe and Johnny Reynolds, Maynard Stevens, Estill Lovelace, and Johnny Crawford. Our farm was the next to the last farm on the gravel road. The road was littered with empty wine and whiskey bottles. You could start at our farm, walk the road and pick up enough empty Richard's Wild Irish Rose Wine bottles and collect enough dregs to get a good drink by the time you got to where the gravel road met the blacktop.

Johnny Reynolds owned the farm next to ours. He made his living mainly from a bar he ran in the County seat. There was an old farm house on Johnny's farm. He rented it. It attracted poor folks. But for a short time when I was in the age range of about 8 or 9, it was rented to Claude and Maynard Stevens. Father and son. Claude must have been about 72. Maynard did farm work for anyone who could afford to employ him. They had no car so if you hired him; you had to haul him. He spent most of what he made on Richard's Wild Irish Rose. You could buy a pint for less than a dollar.

I enjoyed going over and talking to Claude. Claude had a pet gray squirrel. He made a cage out of the top of an old kitchen wood stove. Covered the cage with the grate selves he removed from the oven part of the stove. The squirrel would sit on his shoulder and he would feed it. It would go into his shirt and it was fun. I remember some wisdom he passed on to me one day. I said I wished I had a bicycle. He said, "Let me tell you something son, if you shyt in one hand and wish in the other, I can tell you what hand will get full the fastest."

One day I went to see Claude. I knocked on the door. He opened the door and I saw his eyes were red and weepy. He moved past me and sat down on his chair that was up against the house on the simple slab concrete porch. I ask, "Claude, where is your squirrel?" His eyes started running tears. He smoked a pipe and the pipe giggled in his mouth nervously as he said, "Maynard came in drunk and killed my squirrel." The old man cried.

He gave me that cage. It was too heavy to carry. I got my brothers red coaster wagon and hauled it home. Dad came in the house not long after and said, "Dorothy, Claude died." I had never heard of anyone dying.

depressed.gif
That is so sad. The squirrel was probably the only happy thing in his life.

so when r u going to get to the part where Maynard got his come-uppance for being so mean? personally i'd like to take that low life piece of garbage out behind the shed n teach that women can do just as much damage as a man...!!! Claude and your grey squirrel- RIP ... big hugs

Shantilly":3dywpuqw said:
so when r u going to get to the part where Maynard got his come-uppance for being so mean? personally i'd like to take that low life piece of garbage out behind the shed n teach that women can do just as much damage as a man...!!! Claude and your grey squirrel- RIP ... big hugs

Maynard has been dead for 40 years, this happened in about 1958. But if you were going to take Maynard to the woodshed, take two things, a baseball bat and your lunch. Because you would need both. Maynard was an easy 6 foot 5 inches. Shoulders as wide as a double tree and arms that hung to his knees. Claude was probably bigger in his youth. They were two of the biggest men I had seen to that point in my life. But people judge too quickly. Maynard cared for his dad from the time Mrs. Stevens died until Claude died. In the two years they lived next to us, I was at there place a lot and I never saw Maynard mistreat his dad. He was drunk and I don't know the details of him killing the squirrel. He probably ate it. Fried squirrel was very good food in those days. We ate them at our house. We ate rabbits in the fall and winter. Dad always fired rabbits, squirrel and fish himself as mom didn't like to. Dad was a good cook, actually a better cook than mom. Big hugs, young lady.

inyati13":3vgnz2g7 said:
Shantilly":3vgnz2g7 said:

Maynard has been dead for 40 years, this happened in about 1958. But if you were going to take Maynard to the woodshed, take two things, a baseball bat and your lunch. Because you would need both. Maynard was an easy 6 foot 5 inches. Shoulders as wide as a double tree and arms that hung to his knees. Claude was probably bigger in his youth. They were two of the biggest men I had seen to that point in my life. But people judge too quickly. Maynard cared for his dad from the time Mrs. Stevens died until Claude died. In the two years they lived next to us, I was at there place a lot and I never saw Maynard mistreat his dad. He was drunk and I don't know the details of him killing the squirrel. He probably ate it. Fried squirrel was very good food in those days. We ate them at our house. We ate rabbits in the fall and winter. Dad always fired rabbits, squirrel and fish himself as mom didn't like to. Dad was a good cook, actually a better cook than mom. Big hugs, young lady.

Needing food doesn't forgive Maynard for killing the pet squirrel. From the story I understand it was well known in the family that this squrrel was special. You don't Kill a man's pet with some lame excuse like "I was hungry".
Unless you are Vicksburg under seige.
I'll give credit for eating what you kill.

the bigger they are..the harder they fall... he may have been a good man sober..but what pain he caused his father was not right drunk or not... it broke his dads heart.. that being said..different time... i come from a family that had a lot of tall people in it. i'm 5'8" and i'm the shorty.. 2 brothers , 2 aunts, 1 uncle, 3 great uncles and my grandfather all stood at least 6'4" and taller :) i learned to not be afraid of persons height ... worry more about their knowledge .. I told my daughter earlier I NEVER back down from a fight... I may be out-numbered or out of my league... but i will ALWAYS stand my ground.. :)

Shantilly":3pc21t8f said:
the bigger they are..the harder they fall... he may have been a good man sober..but what pain he caused his father was not right drunk or not... it broke his dads heart.. that being said..different time... i come from a family that had a lot of tall people in it. i'm 5'8" and i'm the shorty.. 2 brothers , 2 aunts, 1 uncle, 3 great uncles and my grandfather all stood at least 6'4" and taller :) i learned to not be afraid of persons height ... worry more about their knowledge .. I told my daughter earlier I NEVER back down from a fight... I may be out-numbered or out of my league... but i will ALWAYS stand my ground.. :)

Well, there are times when it is better to take flight and run away to live to fight another day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a dastardly act. Claude had nothing but his son and his tobacco pipe. He smoked Prince Albert tobacco from the red tin cans. The squirrel was an important passtime for him.

its not the age that makes someone old... its the life they have led within those years.. i was fighting since the day i was born..fighting to protect myself and fighting to get farther in life and fighting to keep what i have already fought for.. and then there are the fights for and with my kids... i'm getting tired of fighting for everything. life is a battle fought going up hill... then the rain comes and you slide back down only to get back up and start again...

Shantilly":d2l2t551 said:
its not the age that makes someone old... its the life they have led within those years.. i was fighting since the day i was born..fighting to protect myself and fighting to get farther in life and fighting to keep what i have already fought for.. and then there are the fights for and with my kids... i'm getting tired of fighting for everything. life is a battle fought going up hill... then the rain comes and you slide back down only to get back up and start again...
"Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Major Sidney Freedman, MASH

Dad's friend had a pet squirrel for years. Bub I believe was his name. He loved to sit on your shoulder and eat sweet tart candy. Had a coon too; that SOB got to biting everbody and it had to go.

That's good to hear Ron. The story is both inspiring and sad, but most important it is real. Most choose to avoid telling of such real history. There is nothing glamorous about the story, nor how you told it. I mean no disrespect by saying so. Times were tough back then, at least when we attend to compare them. I do not believe you were doing that. You seem to have been cataloging a memory on paper, or in this instance typing on a computer. The cage seems the only tangible piece left.........
There is more to the story. Go get the cage from your brother Ron. You should have it. Then tell us more.

I have admittedly avoided communicating with you for a few weeks. I am sorry. I like your stories. They are much like my family history. I will admit in front of the Almighty and everybody here that I enjoy reading your stories.
If I could ask a consideration............it would be for you to tell your stories without prejudice, but to keep in harmony with the company you keep here. Not difficult to do, just have a bit of respect and others will respect you. They will also pray for you.

I may be mostly a lurker, but if you could find a way to post a picture of the cage I would really appreciate it. I love these types of stories/memories. I'll crawl back under my rock now...
~~BC

Ouachita and BrownCow
Thank you. Our family got together at Christmas. We reminisced about Claude and Maynard. Henry, who is a year older than I, said Maynard ate the squirrel. When Claude got up, Maynard was eating his squirrel for breakfast. Claude died not long after this event, within a few months. I didn't know until Henry told me that Maynard moved from the house and went to another run-down old farm house and continued a life of working for a few dollars a day. It was winter and Maynard was drunk, built a big fire in the stove and burnt the house down around him. I was thinking today, Maynard probably never sat on a toilet in his entire life. He lived his entire life in rental property most of which was unfit for habitation.

In regard to the cage, Rob said he thought the cage was still in dad's barn or horse stable. When I get a chance to make the 50 mile trip from my place to the family farm, I will try to find it and I will take a picture and post it.

Ouachita, your words have iron in them. I took them to heart.
BrownCow, you need to come out from under that rock more often. :D

Latest posts