The good life.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score

Hard to beat sitting on the porch smoking a cigar with your dad. He's working on 91 and better than ever.
After all the brutal threads the last few days I thought I'd add something a little more important. Feel free to add to it.

True Grit Farms":2frx17ug said:

Hard to beat sitting on the porch smoking a cigar with your dad. He's working on 91 and better than ever.
After all the brutal threads the last few days I thought I'd add something a little more important. Feel free to add to it.

Got that right Grit.
Wish I still could.
Being the youngest grandchild on both sides you get to watch your family go.
One first cousin on each side left.

Got quite a few 1st cousins left, and gettin ready for our family's 'cousin's reunion' this coming weekend in Linden Tx. Should be a happy gathering but will be bittersweet and not sure I will be able to hold myself together. Brother got a bad prognosis from his oncologists 3 weeks ago. 140 days/5 months tops.

greybeard":2enobtku said:
Got quite a few 1st cousins left, and gettin ready for our family's 'cousin's reunion' this coming weekend in Linden Tx. Should be a happy gathering but will be bittersweet and not sure I will be able to hold myself together. Brother got a bad prognosis from his oncologists 3 weeks ago. 140 days/5 months tops.
That sucks. We're going through similar with my SIL. Lung and liver cancer. They can;t seem to make up their mind what to do since chemo and radiation didn;t do any good. I've started calling her wonder woman. As bad as the news keeps being she is still upbeat and swears she's going to beat it.

True Grit Farms":3v3scs19 said:

:clap: :nod: :nod:

Greybeard sorry to hear it for your brother. Know that he, and you, have been fighting it for awhile. Try to enjoy the time he has left with the family members. Thoughts are with you.

My dad passed 2 years or so ago from cancer. He was 60 . It made me realize I spend to much time working and not enough time enjoying life with my family. We are in a transition now. I'm building a new house on a acre of land 3 miles from Sabine lake . Selling off all the cows and land soon . I'm tired of busting my butt for so little return. So by this time next year I'll be sitting by the pool drinking cold beer on my days off instead of building fence or mowing .

TG, that is good. Your dad looks to be in good shape to. What's with the binoculars? Avid bird watcher or does he keep an eye on those female skiers to be sure they don't drown? ;-) :lol2:

True Grit Farms":21lm5tr8 said:

Make the most of every chance you have to be with him. I always though my dad would live forever.

True Grit Farms":r0neta78 said:

I see he keeps "the glasses" close by.

My Dad is 75 and still working full time. Mom is 70 and we talk almost every day since all my other siblings died. I miss so many opportunities to see them by getting caught up in the projects going on. I am going to regret it. They are good people.

Jogeephus":1v7ane6i said:
TG, that is good. Your dad looks to be in good shape to. What's with the binoculars? Avid bird watcher or does he keep an eye on those female skiers to be sure they don't drown? ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus, he still reads the paper and does all his own book keeping without glasses. The binoculars are for checking things out. This morning he told me it's breeding season for chameleon lizards. And the guy across the river is building his house on pilings. He also has fish hawks - ospreys that he calls with some kind of whistle he makes, I need to try and make a video of him talking with them next spring. Then he has squirrels eating his mangoes and avocados, but he doesn't want to kill them. It takes a boat wake 4 - 5 minutes to get from the marked channel to the shore, and it doesn't matter how fast the boat is traveling the wake travels the same speed every time.
The bottom line is we're just having fun screwing around, I just can't handle the traffic and the tourist. My dad came to a Navy training center in Fort Pierce for Seabees and after the war he made it his home.

Latest posts