The golden arch stake house now serves Angus burgers!

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":1yqkes5l said:
Frankie":1yqkes5l said:
Sir Loin":1yqkes5l said:
Actually, it doesn't even need to be Angus, just 51% black hided.
Where did you get that?
As I understand it, there are people who come out and look at the cattle and do an ultrasound before issuing the certification.

Or were you just making a little jocularity?

No, he's almost right. The first requirement for CAB is the animal must be more than 50% black. There's no requirement for Angus genetics at all. The cattle are never certified as CAB. The meat is stamped CAB at the packers after it meets all the requirements. Here's a link to the USDA site that shows the requirements for all the USDA-approved branded beef programs. CAB is top left.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

I was hoping you would come along with the specifics. I was too lazy. ;-)

I have the USDA site bookmarked. ;-)

Sir Loin":152xxboh said:
Here is another page that may give you a little more insight.
http://www.cabpartners.com/facts/faqs.php

Your link says what I said:

"No herds or live animals are actually certified. The Certified Angus Beef ® logo is the trademark for beef that, only after meeting the live specification of being at least 51% black-hided or AngusSource® enrolled, the U.S. Department of Agriculture* verifies as meeting CAB's ten carcass specifications...."

But it's a good link with answers to lots of questions that people ask.

karlie45":1bs6mm6o said:
Im soo sick of hearing about 'angus burgers'. IMO, its just a fad. Last summer a local grocery store was selling 100% HEREFORD BEEF, sold like crazy because town people thought that because its 100%, its GOOD, or at least BETTER than some cross out there. Put some who-knows-what-breed feedlot steer on a plate, some 100% hereford, and some 100% Angus on a plate, find someone in town to eat it..and they will not taste the difference. Beef people might be able to (I know I cant) but to most 'regular people' there isnt a difference..but the pretttttty little 100% tag is sure apatizing. People will get over it...soon you will see 100%DEXTER BEEF. (ok, maybe not...but there is a possiblility.)
K, im done.

I'm sick of hearing about "Angus burgers" too. :D

There are dozens of branded beef programs. There's no reason Dexter's couldn't have a branded beef program if the association and breeders will come up with the money to start and promote it. Many industry experts say that's the future of beef: branding.

arkcowman":taeolae9 said:
When you say "it must be black" what about red angus ?
Aren't they considered angus too ?

Red Angus are red; Angus are black. In the US, Angus and Red Angus are two different breed associations. CAB belongs to the American Angus (black) Association.

Frankie":onsw1j10 said:
arkcowman":onsw1j10 said:
When you say "it must be black" what about red angus ?
Aren't they considered angus too ?

Red Angus are red; Angus are black. In the US, Angus and Red Angus are two different breed associations. CAB belongs to the American Angus (black) Association.

Hold that thought and read this:

Industry's Premiere "Angus" Grid Unveiled

Sharing the same objective of supplying premium "Angus" cattle to the beef industry, the Red Angus Association of America (RAAA) and Angus America have combined efforts to provide the industry's premiere fed cattle marketing outlet for "Angus" cattle.

In an attempt to deliver a program unmatched in its assistance in developing, producing, and promoting high quality Angus cattle, regardless of hide color, these two programs have redefined the standards for marketing "Angus" fed cattle. By incorporating strict cattle qualifications, producers must now meet the USDA qualifications for "Angus" in order to utilize the new "Angus America/Red Angus Marketing Agreement." Thus, this newly developed system will be a key component for Excel Corporation to supply the branded beef product lines of Angus Pride, Sterling Silver and Certified Angus Beef.

"Angus America is excited about the recent consolidation between marketing efforts of the Red Angus Association and Angus America into the premier Angus alliance in the country," says Mark Nelson, Angus America Business Coordinator. "This consolidation both simplifies and adds punch to grid marketing, carcass data, and access to premium product lines through agreements with Excel Corporation, the most progressive processor in the industry."

Angus America Guidelines

Cattle Qualifications:

1) Each Lot must comply with USDA's Schedule GLA Live Requirements.

Cattle are eligible by meeting either the Genotype or Phenotype requirement or a combination of both.

Genotype-Red Angus Feeder Calf Tag or Phenotype-51% Black Hided

2) No Dairy, No Brahman, No Extreme Exotic Crosses.

3) An Excel Cattle Buyer will approve all cattle prior to slaughter

Mickie-dees is capitalizing on Angus because the populace equates Angus to black hide....even if it is red.

I have tried to get them to define their useage of Angus and they wouldn't do it.

karlie45":1bgehfbq said:
Im soo sick of hearing about 'angus burgers'. IMO, its just a fad. Last summer a local grocery store was selling 100% HEREFORD BEEF, sold like crazy because town people thought that because its 100%, its GOOD, or at least BETTER than some cross out there. Put some who-knows-what-breed feedlot steer on a plate, some 100% hereford, and some 100% Angus on a plate, find someone in town to eat it..and they will not taste the difference. Beef people might be able to (I know I cant) but to most 'regular people' there isnt a difference..but the pretttttty little 100% tag is sure apatizing. People will get over it...soon you will see 100%DEXTER BEEF. (ok, maybe not...but there is a possiblility.)
K, im done.

You all are just jealous because Angus was the first to come out with branded beef AND it works.
Even the famous 6666 ranch in Guthrie is going all Angus.............

CAB has likely made me some money, although I moved to Angus from Charlaois to get away from horns.

I hope this doesn't cheapen the brand. Until now, a CAB steak meant a good sit-down restaurant. You could impress your girlfriend (or your wife) or your business client. You laid out serious money for superior product. And the product was good.

Mickey D gains more from this than Angus folk.

john250":1rn91dq7 said:
CAB has likely made me some money, although I moved to Angus from Charlaois to get away from horns.

I hope this doesn't cheapen the brand. Until now, a CAB steak meant a good sit-down restaurant. You could impress your girlfriend (or your wife) or your business client. You laid out serious money for superior product. And the product was good.

Mickey D gains more from this than Angus folk.

A CAB steak will still be a quality steak. McDonalds will not be selling a CAB hamburger, but they sell more beef than anyone. They are our biggest customer. If they decide to keep the Angus Burger on their menu, the demand for "Angus" beef will greatly increase. The trick will be how they define "Angus".

Latest posts