The Give Away

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Did anybody else hear this story today?
I just happened to hear it on the radio. I don't know where it happened.

This couple that raises vegtables still had some in the fields and advertised that anyone wanting to harvest the vegtables should just show up and pick their own. They expected 10,000 people; over 40,000 people showed up.
They were pretty surprised that so many people showed up.

I'd be surprised if this were true. There was a farmer here that ran an advertisement in the paper telling people they could pick all the produce they wanted for free. He had bell peppers, corn, tomatoes and a few other things. I answered his ad and met him on sight. I asked him why he was giving it away and he told me that the buyers had dropped the prices and he was losing $1 a box so he figured he'd just give it away rather than be robbed. I was surprised at this but even more surprised when he told me I was the only person to answer his ad.

I don't know Jo, but one person they talked to said she was there because of the economy and had 10 bags full.

Heck I would have answered his ad and picked as much as I could carry and can in a few days.

i would be surprised if there were that many people who actually know how and are willing to pick their own food in the US nowadays, much less all concentrated in one area.

Just caught it on the news. It was in Colorado and they still say 40,000 people showed up. All the vegtables were gone in an hour.

Amazing! Definitely a sign of bad times. I guess things aren't that bad here yet cause I can't seem to give away produce to save my life. Unless of course I pick it, wash it and deliver it. But again, we have been promised change.

Wouldn't it be a little cold in Colorado for a garden to be producing now?

I stand corrected, this does ring a bell of truth. Here is a news article from a local paper. What rings legitimacy is the gov't was out there issuing tickets to people who parked on the side of the road so this must be true. Gotta find a way to tax.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... artner=RSS

Jogeephus":13l1no5c said:
I'd be surprised if this were true. There was a farmer here that ran an advertisement in the paper telling people they could pick all the produce they wanted for free. He had bell peppers, corn, tomatoes and a few other things. I answered his ad and met him on sight. I asked him why he was giving it away and he told me that the buyers had dropped the prices and he was losing $1 a box so he figured he'd just give it away rather than be robbed. I was surprised at this but even more surprised when he told me I was the only person to answer his ad.

I get a dozen or more adds every week with the word 'FREE" in the big print. Most of the time when I see this I just dismiss it as a come on. I had a bumper crop of tomatoes one year and I put a sign along the road " free tomatoes" and a woman stopped and picked a Kroger bag full then ask if she could come back tomorrow and get some more. Next day she came back with boxes and a bunch of kids and cleaned me out. I was happy and she was happy.

I wouldn't have thought that folks knew how to preserve them anymore. I guess you can find anything on the internet these days. It's more work than some folks are willing to do.

Fred Belknap":phi5hp7f said:
Jogeephus":phi5hp7f said:

I get a dozen or more adds every week with the word 'FREE" in the big print. Most of the time when I see this I just dismiss it as a come on. I had a bumper crop of tomatoes one year and I put a sign along the road " free tomatoes" and a woman stopped and picked a Kroger bag full then ask if she could come back tomorrow and get some more. Next day she came back with boxes and a bunch of kids and cleaned me out. I was happy and she was happy.

What caught my eye on the ad I responded to was bell peppers. I had plenty of corn, beans and tomatoes but I never plant bell peppers. They were $0.85 each in the grocery store. Imagine my glee when I saw neary 6 acres of the prettiest bell peppers I'd ever laid my eyes on. I helped myself and even offered to give the fella some money but he refused.

Few years ago my neighbor had extra garden veggies that would go to waste. He picked them and put them on a large folding table at the end of his driveway. The sign said free. They took his table.
Tom.

Latest posts