The Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
My wife said she wants to start a garden this year. Oh Boy. Soooo, I'm going to Gonzales this week to a mushroom farm and getting some compost. People around here says it's what they use all the time. Gotta build a fence around it so the deer and rabbits can't get in. 40' x 60' is the size of the plot. I guess she thinks I don't have enough to do around here. Oh well. Question:

Is there some other fertilizer I can use in the garden to help out?

Thinking of using some type of pellet form of fertilizer. Any suggestions?

Dick

Pretty broad question. Compost can vary greatly and I really suggest sampling the compost you are using along with your existing soil. Also make sure the compost is aged. If it hasn't been aged (at least a year) don't buy it.

The best stuff i have ever used is rabbit litter. That stuff works great on a garden. I wish i had about 1000 acres of pasture littered with it.

Yep.. thats what I use, is rabbit litter. I have two rabbits in pens close to my garden, and I just shovel the litter right into the garden during the winter months.....

That mushroom compost is some really good and rich stuff. How much you put in will determine whether you need additional fertilizer.

Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it. Like I said, the garden is 40x60 and I'm going to get 2 yds of the compost. Till it in and plant about the middle of March. Never thought about Rabbit litter before. I don't think I could get it around here anyway. At least I don't know of anyplace offhand. Thanks again

Dick

I had my garden soil tested , then I knew what it needed to have on it. I didn't need to put fertilizer on it, but I needed gypsum . Our local Coop tested the soil, but the local county extension office can do it also, then you'll know what your particular soil needs. When I put out my tomatoes, then I need to side dress with some Nitrogen , but I didn't need to put on any additional fertilizer. But there has been a garden on this spot for many years. And since you're just getting this one started, it may save some work, if you don't need to do much to the soil. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

Latest posts