The fun of having employees

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Anyone who has ever had employess knows how fun and stress free it can be

Lets last friday an employee unhooked the strap holding the portable compressor on the truck and forgot to rehook it so when the wife drove off and hit the hyway the compressor decided it wanted a new home
that was almost $1000
then the same employee went to get the tedder out of the field I specifically told him to make sure and tie the drive shaft up there is a bungee on the tongue for just that purpose well he forgot so I had to go buy a $150 driveline this morning and drive 54 miles each way to do it and he is no longer an employee

when I am halfway to the shop to get the driveline another employee who runs my dozer calls and tell me that the new skidsteer operator has laid the skidsteer on its side and broke all of the side windows out of it so I had to drive another 35 miles out there and put it back on its wheels and now buy $200 worth of glass for it

Employees are so much fun

Seems the employees have cost you $1350 plus wages in a week. For half that I will stay here and do nothing and you are still ahead.
Another reason I do everything myself.

At least they do something,most of the guys I used to have liked to sit under a tree and smoke pot every time I had to leave.

I know AC, I know :cry2: . I had a guy with ADHD work for me for two years, ain't nothing like a guy that can't concentrate, running in high gear.
All I can say buddy, if it were easy everybody would be doin it.

Larry

EAT BEEF":d3lakhlv said:
At least they do something,most of the guys I used to have liked to sit under a tree and smoke pot every time I had to leave.

I can't stand a doper on the job. I don't care what they do outside of work but don't bring that stuff around me. A few years ago I hired a frenchman. Very intelligent guy but at lunch he would always go off by himself. When he came back he was a total imbicile and couldn't do anything right. Had four other guys similar to what you described. They got messed up and sat in the shade while I wasn't around. When I found them they were covered in seed ticks. Undoubtedly they had laid in a hatch and each had hundreds on them. :lol2:

EAT BEEF":4aac2gj8 said:

Yeah, and they know when you've got something big planned and can think of more ways to derail those plans, like if you plan something that requires everybody to be there one will call off.

Larry

What about when they lay out drunk all night and then whine around and feel sorry for themslves the next day because the have to work.

Then theres the little fellers that after a day or two think they know better how to farm than I do, that can really get my blood pumping :mad: . They can always think of an easier way that's almost as good.

Larry

My dad taught me something that I think was pretty smart. He always said if you pay them on Friday they will get drunk and party all weekend and not show up for work on Monday. If you pay them on Monday, everyone will be there on Monday and their families and children will have their needs met rather than pi$$ed away.

I've adopted this and it works very well.

Jogeephus":1tiodlwq said:
My dad taught me something that I think was pretty smart. He always said if you pay them on Friday they will get drunk and party all weekend and not show up for work on Monday. If you pay them on Monday, everyone will be there on Monday and their families and children will have their needs met rather than pi$$ed away.

I have mine turn in their time on Monday and pay on Tuesday. I had one it didn't make any difference what day you paid him, he was out every night. Everytime I had a load of calves coming in or if it was straw baling time he had something he had to do for a week or so. The sad thing was by the time he came back I was so far behind I'd take him back. Last I heard he was selling cell phones.

Larry

Jogeephus":atupiu7g said:

when I was in construction we turned time in on monday morning and they got paid on wednesday and Ihad a strict policy if you laid out wednesdaynite and didn't show up thursday don't come back
I always told them this up front and if I recall correctly I only had to fire 1 or 2 guys because of this
One time a guy that had worked for me for about 3 yrs didn't show up on thursday and I was reallty disappointed and kinda pissed about 8:30that morning his wife calls and said they were at the hospital, he had tripped over one of his kids toys going out the door to come to work and fell and busted his head open and had to go get it stitched up so I felt a little bad about jumping to the wrong conclusion

Seems like there is a new era of workers (edit - employees) who think they can work one-handed cause the other hand is holding the cell phone. It amazes me what these people find to talk about or worse yet - TEXT. :mad: You got to be pretty understanding to write more than one check to a guy who watches you work while he talks on the phone. ;-)

It's only money, and the boss-man got plenty of it. :lol2:

As to the cell phones, we banned them in our office. You can keep it, but it's got to be turned off and put away. Have to treat these people like school children most of the time.

I don't know... school children are probably smarter.

grannysoo":233vrx23 said:
It's only money, and the boss-man got plenty of it. :lol2:

As to the cell phones, we banned them in our office. You can keep it, but it's got to be turned off and put away. Have to treat these people like school children most of the time.

I don't know... school children are probably smarter.

No, that's where they learn to do it. It's only gonna get worse, too.

I used to manage people. I stopped doing it. I was good at it, too. I just got tired of being Mommy, Judge, Jury and bottle washer. I fired so many people I got to liking it. I'd tell them, "you bought it, you paid for it, you own it". I never fired anyone that didn't get several chances, write-ups, "performance counselings"... I always had paper on them.

I had one big gal, she was married to a Mexican dwarf, no kidding, who had constant personal problems. He was a drunk, they were out of money, I had to tell her to wear a bra to work, then went and bought her two of them. (Those pups were loose and low.) Then she had a kid and had to worry about that... It went on and on. It all caused to her to miss a LOT of work. I felt sorry for her, but I finally had to just let her go. I told her that she needed to take that baby, get on a Greyhound and go back home, that she's thank me for it someday because this job was the thing was staying around for.

I am getting good at this another employee got fired today and not by me,my dozer operator fired him now the bad part is I think today was the last day for my dozer operator he has another job offer that he is checking on this weekend so that means the wife and I will be back to trying to keep up with everything ourselves unless I can find someone decent to replace him

I guess I could call the guy who offered him the job and tell him he is a lousy employ and he will be sorry if he hires him, I could do this anonomously :idea:

Angus Cowman":3p7nzmrq said:
I guess I could call the guy who offered him the job and tell him he is a lousy employ and he will be sorry if he hires him, I could do this anonomously

Don't fret. I'll send you a fella who is the fastest dozer operator this side of the Mississippi. He's got experience too. Done wore out more dozers than Carter has liver pills. You'll have to do all the greasing and check the oil for him cause that's against his religion. He had a big operation himself once but a mean old banker stole all his equipment. He would probably teach you some of his secrets to his success if you'd just give him a job. He does like to talk of all the wonderful things he's done. Matter of fact, I think he'd rather talk than run the dozer but I digress. I think he may have worked for Larry when he was younger too so maybe Larry could offer a reference. ;-)

Jogeephus":2mcbykdo said:
Angus Cowman":2mcbykdo said:
I guess I could call the guy who offered him the job and tell him he is a lousy employ and he will be sorry if he hires him, I could do this anonomously

Don't fret. I'll send you a fella who is the fastest dozer operator this side of the Mississippi. He's got experience too. Done wore out more dozers than Carter has liver pills. You'll have to do all the greasing and check the oil for him cause that's against his religion. He had a big operation himself once but a mean old banker stole all his equipment. He would probably teach you some of his secrets to his success if you'd just give him a job. He does like to talk of all the wonderful things he's done. Matter of fact, I think he'd rather talk than run the dozer but I digress. I think he may have worked for Larry when he was younger too so maybe Larry could offer a reference. ;-)
I had one tell me one time that some day I could run a track hoe as good as he could. Then one time I had one pull a strait razor on me but I was holding a 18" crescent in my hand and was 3' above him, he wasn't real bright.

jedstivers":3evbtizk said:
Jogeephus":3evbtizk said:
Angus Cowman":3evbtizk said:

I had one tell me one time that some day I could run a track hoe as good as he could. Then one time I had one pull a strait razor on me but I was holding a 18" crescent in my hand and was 3' above him, he wasn't real bright.
I would like to know the outcome of that little incident. But I aint asking in public.
We had one once that was suposed to be discing. He didn't want to do that.
He stopped because there was some sort of problem with the tractor. Problem was that he had just drained all the oil out of it.

Latest posts