The Frugalier's Guide to New Pasture Establishment

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been trying to expand herd but costs of clearing land seemed cost prohibitive. Since it seems God gave me more time than money, I thought I'd use the time he gave me in the clearing of new grass land. So far, this seems to be the most econmical way.

Started out with cutover slash and longleaf forest with galberry, wax myrtle, fetterbush and palmetto understory.

After sale of timber(IRS got the money - I got to keep the land), let land lie for a year during that time I sold lightered stumps to Hercules. They plucked the obvious ones and received about $10 per acre.

Next, I KG'ed the land ($160/acre)(Out of pocket $150/acre)

Getting started
IMG_0289.jpg

Two hours into clearing
IMG_0277.jpg

A while later
IMG_0283.jpg

After completion, I let the windrows dry and then burn. Come in with an offset harrow and cut the dirt in two different directions. Since ph is around 5.5 to six, I then spread 2-3 tons of lime per acre. (Cost about $80 per acre)(OOP $230)

I then broadcast a seasonal grass and lightly harrow in. Then turn cattle on it for a season or two. This gives nature time to work on debris and me time to size up how many more stumps and things are out there. Usually, there are enough stumps for another sale. Once the cows have grazed it down, I pull cows off and sell stumps again. Since the last stump dog died a few years ago we walk through and flag the stumps for Hercules to be sure they "buy" them all - usually another $20 per acre.(OOP $210/acre)

After final stumping, I rework and burn the windrows until they are gone - usually take two more fluffings. (about $25/acre)(OOP $235/acre)

The next spring, I harrow and smooth the field and pick up any lighter that may be left and mark any stumps that were missed then either sprig or broadcast grass. (Costs dependent on grass used and number of stumps I have to pluck)

3rd Year
IMG_0246.jpg

Tift 85 3rd Year
IMG_0238.jpg

So far, I have been able to keep new pasture clearing costs between $200 and $350 per acre. By far, the cheapest has been pure grazing land and the most expensive is hay land. To me, the costs of clearing land is inversely proportional to the time spent clearing. If you want to cut hay by the end of the year, it will cost about $1000/acre. But if you will take your time and let nature help you - you can get it done a lot cheaper. Also, in doing it this way, it is in semiproduction and the cows can actually flip the bill for the clearing.

Lessons from the School of Hard Knocks
1, Garlon 4 is the nectar of the gods when it comes to new ground pasture establishment and is twice as effective if used in the fall of the year.
2. Patience is money you can buy cows with.
3. Test your soil, test your soil, test your soil
4. An offset harrow is worth owning but is not
indestructable. :lol:
5. Boomless nozzles for your sprayer are worth the money.
6. You can't grow too much grass.

Thanks. I had an excellent mentor, unfortunately cancer took him this summer and I sure miss him.

Your results are impressive.
I have never heard of selling stumps, tell me more please.

KenB":28errx96 said:
Your results are impressive.
I have never heard of selling stumps, tell me more please.

Old slash, longleaf and to some extent loblolly pine will form "fat" or lighter in the heart and stump. This is rich in carbon compounds which are used to make dynamite, medicine and varius other things. Due to the chemical industries' ability to synthesize the chemicals - the stump industry is on the downswing. Hercules in Brunswick is the only company I know of that still does this. I know they work Georgia and Alabama - primarily coastal plain. They typically pay between $5 - $6 per ton for stumps. Since these stumps will not rot, it is a good thing to have them pluck them for us to keep us from having to use an excavator.

It is interesting to watch them work. At one time, they had three stump dogs that would "point" the stumps - some as deep as 6 feet. Then the spotter will flag the spot and a big excavator with a tooth or spear will pluck it out then put them on a skidder with a buggy on it to get it to the ramp.

It has definitely been an asset to have them around here.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed the step by step report with pictures.

Did you only lime the first year & did you fertilize any of it?

;-)

TLCfromARK":2a9gyg2z said:
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed the step by step report with pictures.

Did you only lime the first year & did you fertilize any of it?

;-)

Sorry about that. I always fetilize per soil test. I believe in testing and it can save you some serious money too.

It's better to be a frugalier than a fruitalier. Are those your crawlers Jogee? Or did you you hire them for $160/ac to root-rake and windrow the site?

An impressive project. How does the total cost per acre compare for buying established hay ground vs. buying cut over timber and then clearing & seeding it?

You've done an excellent job of restoation and it would be difficult to find any hole in your plans.

When I look at the brush country of So. Texas it amazes me that the ranchers in this country have allowed it to get into the shape it is tody.

History says that on his way to the Alamo Santa Anna rode thru So. Texas on a sea of grass. If the land looked thenn like it does noww the defenders of the Alamo would have died of old age waiting for him. Mesquite, blackbrush, whitebrush, Huicache, pear, etc have taken over much of the country.There are places where you can drive for miles and not be able to see beyond the fenceline. Now some are trying to restore the land but to many it is cost prohibitive.

Seeing what you have done is encouraging. Maybe there is hope for this country I live in.Z

ga. prime":3qu7j3lb said:
It's better to be a frugalier than a fruitalier. Are those your crawlers Jogee? Or did you you hire them for $160/ac to root-rake and windrow the site?
I put together a pretty good package deal and hired them at $160 per cleared acre. I'll GPS uncleared portions out. Might could do better by hour but I don't like surprises.

Stocker Steve":36jfpdjn said:
An impressive project. How does the total cost per acre compare for buying established hay ground vs. buying cut over timber and then clearing & seeding it?

Last month some cropland sold down road from me at $5000 per acre. I know of 2 farms I can buy right now - mostly timberland - that I can buy for $1800 per acre. These are pretty good averages so I imagine there is $3200 per acre difference. Using this as a base, I can normally get the land in production for $300 - $600 per acre. By production, I mean getting grass on it for grazing purposes. Once this is done, I'll let nature and the cows work on it for a while. To me, the important thing is to get it in production as soon as possible to begin recouping costs.

I tried to help a friend of mine but he was impatient. I got him a quote of $22,000 to shear and offset harrow twice 100 acres. He hired an excavator, a D6 rake, and a rubber tired rake to do the work by the hour. He now has 2/3 of it cleared and has spent over $70,000 - and you still can't cut hay. I'm sure he will have $1000 per acre in it by the time it is fully cleared.[/quote]

Herefordcross":32kqewn3 said:
When you talk about KGed the ground, what do you mean, are those the dozers with the tree cutting points on them??

Yes, they are like a huge knife blade set on an angle. It is sharpened every morning. The D8 has enough power it slice through about any tree out there. I watched a 48" longleaf stump get cut one day. The tractor spewed a little extra smoke then pow, it was sliced off at ground level. There are skid plates under the blade to keep it from gouging too much topsoil.

Here is a picture for a better idea.
IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg