The FOOD POLICE!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I work in a high school and community library, as some of you know. I have student aides that help me, and to kinda say thanks to them, we have a pizza party a couple of times a year. Well, trying to be honest, I sent out an email to staff, just a blanket one to the school, saying that these students would be eating pizza and might be late for sixth period and would miss lunch and homeroom.

Well, I was met in the halls by the cafeteria manager, who I guess is just doing her job, and told that my student HAD to eat a school lunch. They could not eat pizza, it was against the rules. They have food guidelines and they say that the students can't eat anything but a nutritions meal, which cracks me up because half the time it's hotpockets or other fare that the students don't care for. And they tend to run out of food during the second lunch.

Really? Twice a year? And half of them bring their own lunches anyway.

So what's going to happen to me if I have the party anyway, which I'm going to do, BTW... The students are excited about it, they signed up to bring stuff, and it's all arranged. I'm not going to tell them, you can't because the food police said no.

I've learned my lesson. Next time I won't say anything. That's what I get for trying to be informative.

I might be in food jail tomorrow.

Anyone else have these types of rules at their school?

I think that this is a knee jerk reaction to complaints in recent years that cafeteria food was neither good for you nor edible, in this school, at least. The school decided to offer more choices to students, while cutting out junk food and starchy foods. (which you can still buy) We also got rid of the vending machines in student areas.

I don't know, if just seems back-asswards to say that you can't give your students a party if you choose. It's not like I'm doing this every day of the week. We do this twice per year. TWICE.

If you go to food jail we won't even be able to send you a cake with a file inside so you can bust out.

It's crazy how they (government, schools, etc.) want to control every aspect of our lives because some people are not smart enough to take care of themselves. I'm not anti-government but I really think things have gotten out of hand.

You can access this online if you care to do so. Just search Texas Public School Nutrition Policy. It's a PDF doc that the dept of agriculture put out.

There's no way people are following this.

There goes the class party as we know it.

I agree Chris. This goes too dam far. I can understand wanting to make sure that a child maybe gets one good meal a day, but policing what one can eat all day long? It is laughable There is no way that this is being followed to any degree. They only reason I got caught is because I told on myself.

I guess it is better to lie by omission than to be up front.

I'm chewing on that now... :lol:

I was going to post the thing, but it's fifteen pages long.

Lammie":9e76khkg said:
I guess it is better to lie by omission than to be up front.
In the words of the late great Gracie Hopper "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission."

Lammie":1jos8pjl said:
I work in a high school and community library, as some of you know. I have student aides that help me, and to kinda say thanks to them, we have a pizza party a couple of times a year. Well, trying to be honest, I sent out an email to staff, just a blanket one to the school, saying that these students would be eating pizza and might be late for sixth period and would miss lunch and homeroom.

Well, I was met in the halls by the cafeteria manager, who I guess is just doing her job, and told that my student HAD to eat a school lunch. They could not eat pizza, it was against the rules. They have food guidelines and they say that the students can't eat anything but a nutritions meal, which cracks me up because half the time it's hotpockets or other fare that the students don't care for. And they tend to run out of food during the second lunch.

Really? Twice a year? And half of them bring their own lunches anyway.

So what's going to happen to me if I have the party anyway, which I'm going to do, BTW... The students are excited about it, they signed up to bring stuff, and it's all arranged. I'm not going to tell them, you can't because the food police said no.

I've learned my lesson. Next time I won't say anything. That's what I get for trying to be informative.

I might be in food jail tomorrow.

Anyone else have these types of rules at their school?
Isn't this the pet project of the Michelle Obama?

Problem solved. We are having it during 6th period. Yes, they may miss class, but by gawd, they ain't missing LUNCH!

In CA there are some cities that are making it illegal for the school to have "unhealthy" options... so vending machines, etc. are being removed...

...if everything is cyclical in nature, when will it roll back around to everyone wanting the MINIMUM regulations instead of the MAXIMUM?

DavisBeefmasters":20mcrerk said:
...if everything is cyclical in nature, when will it roll back around to everyone wanting the MINIMUM regulations instead of the MAXIMUM?
I'm afraid only in our dreams

DavisBeefmasters":1qzya37w said:
In CA there are some cities that are making it illegal for the school to have "unhealthy" options... so vending machines, etc. are being removed...

We already got rid of the vending machines. Everywhere but in the staff lounge. Got a coke machine in there. Students can still buy snacks at the snack bar, though, and there are students who don't eat anything else at lunch.

At my son's school, they have vending machines, but they have like sports drinks, water, nutra grain bars and stuff like that.

I can remember vending machines in my elementary school. We used to get pucker pellets. I liked the purple ones best and the orange ones least.

Anyone remember pucker pellets? Like Tom's version of the sweet tarts.

Lammie":1m773mwp said:
I can remember vending machines in my elementary school. We used to get pucker pellets. I liked the purple ones best and the orange ones least.

I don;t even remember vending machines in schools. Used to have to sneak off to the local corner store for anything other then water (from a fountain)

When I was teaching our last day of the school term at Christmas was given over to a party, it lasted all day, games and dancing in the morning, and a sing song in the afternoon and food was available throughout the day, No food police as the cook was off for the day and the kids parents provided all what was there to eat. As the children were from so many diverse nations we had a great mix.

Hope your party goes to plan and you don't get into to much trouble with the hierarchy.

dun":v3ek9kv0 said:
Lammie":v3ek9kv0 said:

I don;t even remember vending machines in schools. Used to have to sneak off to the local corner store for anything other then water (from a fountain)
Bucket and a gourd dipper?? :mrgreen:

When i was going to school most of the kids carried their lunch in a rex jelly bucket. One day i noticed my friends bucket was a lot heavier than mine, had to be something good so i swapped the names on the bucket. I knew what was in mine, i couple pieces of rabbit and one tatter jack.
When lunch rolled around i snuck off behind the school house to eat. What a total surprise an let down when i removed the lid i found 2 hickory nuts and a hammer. :eek: :shock:

curtis":2kl876lk said:
When i was going to school most of the kids carried their lunch in a rex jelly bucket. One day i noticed my friends bucket was a lot heavier than mine, had to be something good so i swapped the names on the bucket. I knew what was in mine, i couple pieces of rabbit and one tatter jack.
When lunch rolled around i snuck off behind the school house to eat. What a total surprise an let down when i removed the lid i found 2 hickory nuts and a hammer. :eek: :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

It didn't matter what we ate when I was a kid because we burned off every calorie. I think they are going about this backasswards. The way I see it, they are teaching kids how to be lazy and be healthy doing it.

Lammie as I am sure you know by now I am in food sales and have been for almost 30 years. About 20 years ago I was working with our staff nutritionist(accredited).

We were running late and didn't have time to stop for lunch so she walks into a convenience store and buys a big slice of pizza. I of course started teasing her and was informed that in fact it was considered a balanced meal and she made no apologies for eating it.

............for what that's worth.

upfrombottom":35l0vmks said:
It didn't matter what we ate when I was a kid because we burned off every calorie. I think they are going about this backasswards. The way I see it, they are teaching kids how to be lazy and be healthy doing it.

I ate whatever I wanted in the army and always burned it off. I probably drank more calories than ate too. Anyhow I think you have it right.

Walt

3Way, ya'll are lucky to have such a nutrionist that sees beyond the book. I know two nutrionists and neither of them no a thing about food. Had Thanksgiving dinner with one of these several years ago and I fell on the floor laughing when she asked me to carve the turkey and I found the bag of giblets still in the bird. At that time she had written or co-written two college text books and still didn't know how to cook a turkey. Seems to me this might be the root of our problem. You would think if someone goes into a field like nutrition they would at least be interested in cooking. Last Saturday I ate with another nutrionist and she told us of her Thankgiving bird and the surprise she found after cooking it. I almost died laughing at the similarity. Don't think she understood. Don't think she likes me now either. I still think its funny in a sad way.

Latest posts