the first ones of the year are always fun

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
My youngest son and I caught a few yesterday. It was windy as heck but still enjoyable.
His was bigger but I caught more.

ez14.":1y9pnr81 said:
greybeard":1y9pnr81 said:
Some we caught at my brother-in-law's pond some were caught at mine.
Who's pond is in the picture?
Brother in law's. It's not as good for fishing as it looks. I don't know why, but the pond in nearly 20 years old and he has never been able to get any cover to grow on the bottom. Even pulled lots of aquatic grass out of my pond by the roots and tried to get it started in his but it didn't 'take'. Stocked with a hybrid largemouth, and they are a very light color, almost white..water is an odd color..almost clear but tinged lightly bluegreen and the fish are the same color except the channel cat. The cats do good but he's been trying to fish them all out.

Mine, 5 miles away on the same road, is pretty dark, with lots of grass and too many lily pads. Plenty of big bass and lots of cover.

Are the water sources, surface water? His could need fertilizer to help with some algae and plant growth. I presume yours was fertilized well with beaver poop and flood water!

mwj":2aaf321a said:
Are the water sources, surface water? His could need fertilizer to help with some algae and plant growth. I presume yours was fertilized well with beaver poop and flood water!

Yep, surface runoff except during 2011 drought. He used well water then...... till my sister saw the electric bill.
He's talked about fertilizing it, but his health now is not very good.

My pond gets a lot of runoff out of the Nat Forest..it's got a little of everything in it I'm sure.

Latest posts