The fat lady has sung

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3mrw6whl said:
Hippie Rancher":3mrw6whl said:
35/100 since Jan 1, here. a hair over 1.25 since late September. every event less than 15/100ths and many days apart - so, essentially useless.:frowns:

Humidity up today and 60% chance for tonight. :eek:
You know a feller lives in a dry area when he buys a rain gauge that measures to hundreths and loves even one or two of those hundredths. Hope you get more soon.

Mine is in quarter inch increments sounds like I might need one of them gauge's with a little finer marks as well. :nod:

I needed hippie's guage today... got a little rain this morning but it was just a bit short of a tenth of an inch so wasn't much....however it was more than nothing....Trouble is we are inside the 30 - 40 day rain interval....hope this wasn't THE rain.

1982vett":3q9838m0 said:
agmantoo":3q9838m0 said:
The drought here has been minor this year compared to past droughts and what many or you are experiencing. A severe drought can and will knock anyone's knees from under them. Each individual has his own risk tolerance and goals and only the individual knows what is acceptable to them. I have not yet recovered from the 2007-2008 drought we experienced. Not only were my pastures adversely impacted, my earnings since were because I have not had the number of feeder calves to market . In retrospect I have concluded that I would have been ahead to have forfeited a years income by buying expensive trucked hay and maintaining the brood stock in BCS at not less than 5 and rested all the pastures. Had I done that I believe that I could have resumed the before drought daily operations with the resulting income once rains returned. Instead, I have been impacted with a reduction of brood stock that will take time to replenish, some cattle were slower to cycle due to reduced body condition, the pastures were harmed extensively and the before drought income took a hit for 2 years following the drought. The pastures still have not recovered to the before drought condition. The reason that I posted this was to suggest to look forward as to the impact along with the current situation. I did not have that foresight as I had never experienced such severe drought.

Good enough advice....but take to take it a little farther....

What I've seen since 1996, basically my first run in with drought...we came into a dry spell in early spring which broke in late July....made plenty of forage for pasture and hay...Oats were planted early early September.....from then we had wet spells and dry spells...usually lasting 2 - 3 months June to August...learned to work with that pattern....first sign of change was 2006 dry spring...some moisture in summer and dry fall. Oat planting time slipped all the way to mid-October....when moisture began to return...Then 2007....2008...wet spells were 3 months long usually Jan - Mar...then 2009 dry till September and 80% of the years rainfall average fell in 3 months before tapering off and leaving 2010 15 inches short for the year...At present I'm 16 inches behind for this year....Oats, few had any grazing from them at all since it was a Christmas Eve rain that brought them up.

What am I getting at....It's still getting worse, not better. pretty much the same weather South Texas has experienced since 1996 except for the occasional tropical storm passing by. Dry spells are longer and wet spells are a few days long about 40 to 60 days apart.... Look at my avatar... From 1996 to Now is 15 years....I'll wager it WILL NOT change tomorrow and WILL NOT return to "Normal" any time in the near future....This isn't localized as it once was where you can feed thru it. I'm not screaming and Al Gore climate change...Dig up the long range forecasts from 94 and 95....for our area they predicted below normal precipitation for 15 - 20 years...(el nino, la nina effects :roll: ) some how I guess they got it right...which means we shouldn't expect "change" for another couple years....and what they didn't say - if it take 15 - 20 years to get here it is probably going to take that long to get back....roughly means another 7 before we get back to the wonderful 2006 conditions....IF it turns on a dime TODAY!

Folks better understand the difference between "localized" and "wide-spread"...one you can feed thru and hit the ground running....the other you run till you hit the ground.

No amount of MIG grazing or pasture rotation is going to fix that.

This is what I've seen and learned since 1996. ;-)

Vette, checked our fire forcast today and it shows the next 15 years to be bad also. Most of Texas and parts of Ok.

kenny thomas":2t1ohrdc said:
Vette, checked our fire forcast today and it shows the next 15 years to be bad also. Most of Texas and parts of Ok.
Just what I wanted to hear. :lol:

kenny thomas":p458drqa said:
1982vett":p458drqa said:
agmantoo":p458drqa said:
The drought here has been minor this year compared to past droughts and what many or you are experiencing. A severe drought can and will knock anyone's knees from under them. Each individual has his own risk tolerance and goals and only the individual knows what is acceptable to them. I have not yet recovered from the 2007-2008 drought we experienced. Not only were my pastures adversely impacted, my earnings since were because I have not had the number of feeder calves to market . In retrospect I have concluded that I would have been ahead to have forfeited a years income by buying expensive trucked hay and maintaining the brood stock in BCS at not less than 5 and rested all the pastures. Had I done that I believe that I could have resumed the before drought daily operations with the resulting income once rains returned. Instead, I have been impacted with a reduction of brood stock that will take time to replenish, some cattle were slower to cycle due to reduced body condition, the pastures were harmed extensively and the before drought income took a hit for 2 years following the drought. The pastures still have not recovered to the before drought condition. The reason that I posted this was to suggest to look forward as to the impact along with the current situation. I did not have that foresight as I had never experienced such severe

drought

Good enough advice....but take to take it a little farther....

What I've seen since 1996, basically my first run in with drought...we came into a dry spell in early spring which broke in late July....made plenty of forage for pasture and hay...Oats were planted early early September.....from then we had wet spells and dry spells...usually lasting 2 - 3 months
June to August...learned to work with that pattern....first sign of change was 2006 dry spring...some moisture in summer and dry fall. Oat planting time slipped all the way to mid-October....when moisture began to return...Then 2007....2008...wet spells were 3 months long usually Jan - Mar...then 2009 dry till September and 80% of the years rainfall average fell in 3 months before tapering off and leaving 2010 15 inches short for the year...At present I'm 16 inches behind for this year....Oats, few had any grazing from them at all since it was a Christmas Eve rain that brought them up.
What am I getting at....It's still getting worse, not better. pretty much the same weather South Texas has experienced since 1996 except for the occasional tropical storm passing by. Dry spells are longer and wet spells are a few days long about 40 to 60 days apart.... Look at my avatar... From 1996 to Now is 15 years....I'll wager it WILL NOT change tomorrow and WILL NOT return to "Normal" any time in the near future....This isn't localized as it once was where you can feed thru it. I'm not screaming and Al Gore climate change...Dig up the long range forecasts from 94 and 95....for our area they predicted below normal precipitation for 15 - 20 years...(el nino, la nina effects :roll: ) some how I guess they got it right...which means we shouldn't expect "change" for another couple years....and what they didn't say - if it take 15 - 20 years to get here it is probably going to take that long to get back....roughly means another 7 before we get back to the wonderful 2006 conditions....IF it turns on a dime TODAY!

Folks better understand the difference between "localized" and "wide-spread"...one you can feed thru and hit the ground running....the other you run till you hit the ground.

No amount of MIG grazing or pasture rotation is going to fix that.

This is what I've seen and learned since 1996. ;-)

:( what part of Ok KT? Is ere a website for these 15-20 year forecasts?

Mostly western OK if I remember right but that far out I think it is just a guess. Something to think about though. I picked it up from the Southern Area Coordination Center website. I will post a link tomorrow.

Caustic, were are you thinking like I am? I was worried I was going to have to get back to baling hay and spraying weeds....LOL...that would cut into my lazy time I'm learning to enjoy.... :nod:

1982vett":1sst8odk said:
Caustic, were are you thinking like I am? I was worried I was going to have to get back to baling hay and spraying weeds....LOL...that would cut into my lazy time I'm learning to enjoy.... :nod:

No Joke this would cut into my fishing time, grandson came over for a couple of weeks to work for me before two a days start. We(he) put up my deer stands and bush hogged the roads and weed(food) plots.
That tropical wave finally came ashore here and is pumping the spigot. Raining here right know system is supposed to drift slowly to the west. http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir ... ?play=true

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL
LOUISIANA...SOUTH CENTRAL LOUISIANA...SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA...WEST
CENTRAL LOUISIANA AND SOUTHEAST TEXAS.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT
THE COMBINATION OF DEEP TROPICAL MOISTURE OVER THE AREA WITH AN
UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE MOVING WEST INTO SOUTHEAST TEXAS WILL
ALLOW FOR NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE AREA
TODAY. RAIN CHANCES WILL BE HIGHEST ACROSS SOUTHEAST TEXAS.

DUE TO THE HIGH MOISTURE CONTENT AND EXPECTED SLOW MOVEMENT OF THE
STRONGER SHOWERS AND STORMS TODAY...HEAVY RAINFALL WITH AMOUNTS
OF 1 TO 3 INCHES MAY FALL IN ISOLATED LOCATIONS IN A SHORT AMOUNT
OF TIME. THIS WILL LEAD TO PONDING OF WATER ON ROADWAYS AND MINOR
STREET FLOODING IN LOW LYING URBAN DRAINAGE AREAS. ALSO...FREQUENT
CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING MAY OCCUR WITH THE STORMS.

Man that looks good. I forget to even look at the forcasts much anymore. Wonder how far west it can make it before it fizzles out or turns north?

Just one storm like that wouldn't throw a monkey wrench into the any play plans (unless it starts to happen weekly)...but would keep me from having to feed (cuts into playtime) or selling cows.

TexasBred":2aswjgm5 said:
spinandslide":2aswjgm5 said:
Humidity was up this weekend..but it didnt make for anything but more miserable heat..:(

combined with the skeeters who are loving my irrigating the hayfield are making it 10 times worse.

Skeeters around here are learning to live on sweat.

Mutant skeeters..:)

I look like Im going out into a blizzard when I venture to the irrigation heads..tall boots, jeans, longsleeved heavier sweatjacket with the hood up and pulled shut.. :D and reeking of OFF.

1982vett":3vf23qbp said:
Man that looks good. I forget to even look at the forcasts much anymore. Wonder how far west it can make it before it fizzles out or turns north?

Just one storm like that wouldn't throw a monkey wrench into the any play plans (unless it starts to happen weekly)...but would keep me from having to feed (cuts into playtime) or selling cows.
The gates of hell start to open at the Brazos River. By the time it should be at my pasture it fizzles out and Satan's laughing. :help: :frowns:

JSCATTLE":3nl9964a said:
Cb I've got 7.5 inches so far out of this . How about you?
You know...if you keep throwing numbers like that around ain't nobody going to believe you... :lol:

1982vett":hsup59je said:
JSCATTLE":hsup59je said:
Cb I've got 7.5 inches so far out of this . How about you?
You know...if you keep throwing numbers like that around ain't nobody going to believe you... :lol:
Or ever talk to you again!

Sorry guys I wasn't trying to brag. Cb isn't to far from me just wanted to see if its isolated or if everyone in our are was getting rain .

Latest posts