The farm life and significant others.

Help Support CattleToday:

Husband is still pretty clueless about cattle (espeically thier behavior) after 20 years on the ranch, but he is good help. He can dig a ditch, or run the chute, haul stuff, buck hay, feed the kids, wash dishes. Even do laundry (not allowed to touch my good stuff, though) fix pipe, vehicle maintence etc etc, but I always have to double check comments about animal tracks, numbers (a whole boatload of cows to him can be 3 or 4 to anybody else), fence repairs (the man has a problem with paper and wire - he is a masonry contractor by trade and I think paper, wood and wire are just too flimsy for him)

He has yet to grasp the fact that it is easier to control a horse by his head than to manually shove a 1500 lb animal out of the way, but he has stuck it out and I love him.

Him not coming from a ranching background was a good thing - I think my personality would have been too much for most men and especially cowboy types. I'm not the type to stay in the house cooking and cleaning as a career.

stocky":39qkttx4 said:
Just so he knows my heart is in the right place, every chance I get I remind him of what a good bull that holstein was.

Stocky, you are much too kind! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Been married to her for 26 years. She knows the personality of each cow and is scared to death of the bull, but he is very docile. She enjoys cattle as much as I do. When it comes to working them and getting in the mix, she'll stand back and prep for me, hand me stuff but I have to tune her out when she starts getting scared.

I bought a wild be nice black cow who turned out to be a problem. She went right back to the sale barn. When I was loading her, she was wanting to send me to the hereafter. I had her on the other side of a cut gate. When the cow tried to jump I'd pull the gate to me and she'd land with her head on the top of it. I would then slam her with the gate to get her into the chute. It took about 5 minutes to get her into the chute and headed to the trailer but it seemed much longer. Anyway, boss lady had 911 punched on my cell phone and her cell phone. I asked her why. She said, "In case something went wrong with one phone....." She was that scared.

I trapped a feral hog (only about 130 lbs) and had to put it into a 55 gallon barrel. When I finally got it in a barrel and held the lid on, I couldn't reach the barrel ring. I got to looking for help and she was up in the cab of the Massey with the doors shut.

When I am pushing roads or such down a hill with the caterpillar, she turns her back to me and can't watch.

Anyway, I never get hurt it seems because I don't so something I don't think I can handle. She is always scared to death of everything. Most of our "conflict" comes out of her fear for my well being. There are many projects I simply have to put off until she isn't around.

I wouldn't trade her off. She was a good mother and good wife. Now she is a good grandma to my grandchildren.

VanC":3nw32sh9 said:
Alice":3nw32sh9 said:
When I met Van I was upfront...I raised baby calves...period. He said, "I don't know squat about baby calves, but I'm willing to learn." And bless his heart, he meant every word of it. He's one of a kind. :D

Alice

Men named Van are indeed special people. ;-)

Didn't know you and Alice were married.

Hippie Rancher":3anowed8 said:
Husband is still pretty clueless about cattle

I assumed you were a guy, I guess you can add sexist to them un redeemable qualities of mine. Am I the only one that got this wrong?

As far as wives go, I have yet to find something my wife can not do. She loves the farm life. She likes the Horses and Mules more than the cattle. But with me working graveyards she and the kids are the ones that do most of the checking and feeding of the cows.

aplusmnt":2ne0c6un said:
VanC":2ne0c6un said:
Alice":2ne0c6un said:
When I met Van I was upfront...I raised baby calves...period. He said, "I don't know squat about baby calves, but I'm willing to learn." And bless his heart, he meant every word of it. He's one of a kind. :D

Alice

Neither did I...ought to come as quite a shock to my husband, and most likely to Van C and his wife.

Alice

Alice":1dxb01fp said:
aplusmnt":1dxb01fp said:
VanC":1dxb01fp said:
Alice":1dxb01fp said:

Alice

Neither did I...ought to come as quite a shock to my husband, and most likely to Van C and his wife.

Alice

Alice is probably way out of my league, but come to think of it, so is my wife. ;-)

THEN: I married a city boy who, for a short time in his life had lived on a farm, and thought he knew what living on one really meant. (Ya know, calving, cleaning, mending, rebuilding, and WORK) Then reality set in .... he didn't realize all his "fun time" would be so limited. He also wanted to be a father, thought that would be "fun" too. I guess all work, and little fun, made him unhappy.

NOW: I am single, living on the farm, with two great boys -- and they know what it means when someone says "calving", know how to "bale hay", put fence up, and that the sun may go down but the work still needs to get done. I know I got the best out of that marriage.

aplusmnt":5sewb8ev said:
backhoeboogie":5sewb8ev said:
Hippie Rancher":5sewb8ev said:
I assumed you were a guy,

I might be! :lol: Haven't you seen or read Brokeback Mountain?

Nope. Nope. and never will.

Figured you might have taken some of those engineers to see it, you know the ones that wear the girly pants... ;-) :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Not me.

Wife went to the video store. We usually just buy the used Cds and then share them with folks after we have watched them. She found one she thought I'd like since it looked western. She asked the guy behind the counter about it (good thing). It was brokeback alright. The guy told her, "Those two guys on the cover are lovers." She put it back. Then she told all of us about the incident. She had never heard of brokeback.

backhoeboogie":datow7u2 said:
aplusmnt":datow7u2 said:
backhoeboogie":datow7u2 said:
Hippie Rancher":datow7u2 said:
I assumed you were a guy,

I might be! :lol: Haven't you seen or read Brokeback Mountain?

Nope. Nope. and never will.

Figured you might have taken some of those engineers to see it, you know the ones that wear the girly pants... ;-) :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Not me.

Wife went to the video store. We usually just buy the used Cds and then share them with folks after we have watched them. She found one she thought I'd like since it looked western. She asked the guy behind the counter about it (good thing). It was brokeback alright. The guy told her, "Those two guys on the cover are lovers." She put it back. Then she told all of us about the incident. She had never heard of brokeback.

Good thing she asked about it, if word got around you rented it then you were seen with those engineers you might get some funny looks from the town folks :lol:

IHeartCows":2woiewhw said:
Does your SO enjoy working with cattle / horses / farm life in general?

If not, how does that put a stress on your relationship?

What are the pros / cons of having a person who enjoys the work vs. a person who would rather let you handle it all and they tend to other business.

Just curious. Seems like the men I've dated have all been city boys and tend to get weirded out by horse manure. However, being that I'm super competitive with horses and fairly independent it hasn't bothered me that much.

Discuss.

I'd say it helps alot to find a significant other who has some of the same interests as you. Not all, that can be boring.

I'm sure someday you will find that perfect guy that has the same interests as you with horses, etc... and it will all work out.

GMN

The only disagreements between us as both are country raisied - is Other half thinks he knows everything and to me im still learning :roll: :p Other than that we work together real well he feeds dogs, I feed the goats, chickens, and calf Both of us feed the birds :D