The Fall Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
After a miserable experience with deer eating up my spring gardens I gave it another try. This time I've got it protected with some pretty high voltage. When the little buggers stick their noses through the fence they get quite a jolt. So far none have ventured further than the barbed wire so there is hope.

IMG_4466.jpg

:lol: Looks like a little hoe work is in order....

Pulled a plow thru mine a few days ago...Could build a brick house now.

I don't have any deer in my area. I was talking to a man north of me and he said the deer would pick the green beans off the plant just like a person would.

Rocks!?! That's for the rich folk. I'm on the poor side of the county and I can't afford any. If you find a rock on my place its either a piece of worked flint or an arrowhead and these are few and far between. I do occasionally find a sea shell or a sand dollar though.

Fred, this year I had trouble like I've never seen. Once they figured out what the peas were they ate them to the dirt. Once they did that they even ate my jalepeno pepper plants and literally destroyed my cucumbers. Only thing they didn't eat was eggplant but I got so discouraged I just threw the towell in and forgot about them.

Vett, they don't make left handed hoes do they? ;-) :lol2:

A place with no rocks and another with no deer. :eek: :???:
What is this world coming too?
For anyone trying to protect their garden from deer try the electric fence but lean the post away from the garden so the deer will be almost under the top wire when they hit the bottom one. They will not try to jump it until they smell it and then the top wire hits them when they try.

kenny thomas":2qn76ykr said:
A place with no rocks and another with no deer. :eek: :???:
What is this world coming too?
For anyone trying to protect their garden from deer try the electric fence but lean the post away from the garden so the deer will be almost under the top wire when they hit the bottom one. They will not try to jump it until they smell it and then the top wire hits them when they try.

Kenny, ya'll may think I'm lying, but I've seen deer sprinting across the pasture and insead of jumping the fence, they hit the ground and go under. First time I saw it I was too far away to see them actually go under, but I could tell when they got to the fence they didn't jump over and for a split second they disappeard and then popped back up so I knew they didn't run thru it. Then and checked the barb wire for hair and such and nothing. But the ground had a bare spot and you could tell it wasn't the first time something had slipped under the fence. Second time I was close enough and actually saw them duck under the wire. Now these aren't big deer but the wire is 10 inches off the ground and the top one about 49.

Sort of what I was wondering. Only thing I come up with is maybe they are young'uns and haven't broken the habbit of going under.

I watched three run across the pasture full boar. The first two jumped over the fence but the third tried to jump through the fence. It was 5 strand and the bottom line was set high so there wasn't much room and the deer hit the fence. Hair went everywhere. It looked like a dove that got hit with a full load. I checked the fence and other than some hair there was no damage. Stupid goats.

I'm still picking. Picked these today before I got rained out. Temps have been wonderful for the fall garden. I looks like I'm fixing to have another flush of peas if this keeps up. Kinda odd having both cold and warm season crops going at the same time.

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

That's some pretty tomatoes. Look like they were grown in a greenhouse.

I planted 17 back in May or June that I had grown from seeds and put a wire cage around them after mulching with pine straw. Deer stick their heads through the wire just about daily/nightly and eat to their heart's content. Needless to say I never got a tomato. Here's what they looked like this morning:

P1020218.jpg

I fixed my deer problem in one of my gardens with some high voltage. These tomatoes are just coming in and I hope we don't get a killing frost before they make well cause I'm ready for some good sandwiches.

Latest posts