The face of agricultural employment...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Someone please tell me how to find a solid position <br>in the beef cattle business. I've been manager of<br>a commercial cow/calf operation for a couple of years<br>and must move on due to the owner's sell out. Prices<br>on cattle have just been too good for him to pass up<br>even though he's made a sweet profit since I've been<br>here. Previous to that, I managed a horse/cattle <br>breeding farm and worked weekends as a relief vet.<br>assist. and really enjoyed that. These businesses <br>were also extremely successful. Unfortunately, that <br>owner passed away and his wife liquidated the business. <br>I went back to college and earned a degree in Agri. Bus./Agri.<br>Bus. Mgmt. to help me find some security, but I'm fairly<br>certain that the concept of security does not exist<br>in the farming community. How do I make myself an asset<br>to an employer so as to encourage a little loyalty?<br>I'm a mom with a couple kids to support and feel like<br>a traveling circus these days. Will someone please <br>suggest a step in the right direction? My resume is<br>really fairly impressive.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

That is the question that everyone is asking. If you find out let me know.<p>Matt<p><br>: Someone please tell me how to find a solid position <br>: in the beef cattle business. I've been manager of<br>: a commercial cow/calf operation for a couple of years<br>: and must move on due to the owner's sell out. Prices<br>: on cattle have just been too good for him to pass up<br>: even though he's made a sweet profit since I've been<br>: here. Previous to that, I managed a horse/cattle <br>: breeding farm and worked weekends as a relief vet.<br>: assist. and really enjoyed that. These businesses <br>: were also extremely successful. Unfortunately, that <br>: owner passed away and his wife liquidated the business. <br>: I went back to college and earned a degree in Agri. Bus./Agri.<br>: Bus. Mgmt. to help me find some security, but I'm fairly<br>: certain that the concept of security does not exist<br>: in the farming community. How do I make myself an asset<br>: to an employer so as to encourage a little loyalty?<br>: I'm a mom with a couple kids to support and feel like<br>: a traveling circus these days. Will someone please <br>: suggest a step in the right direction? My resume is<br>: really fairly impressive.<p>
<br>

There is a publication called FencePost out of Colorado that has a pretty steady help wanted section. Many of those ads are asking for very specific skills for unusual positions. I say unusual, because they want people with education (some looking for masters or doctorates) and offer better than usual benefits and salaries. 1-800-275-5646.<p>Also, take a look at Agri-News, a weekly ag publication out of Billings, MT. They will send you a free 6 month subscription for the asking.<br>Email the editor, Linda Grosskopf at [email protected]<p>
<br>

DJ, you might check out the Classifieds in the High Plains Journal (http://www.hpj.com). Have you considered the purebred industry? Or feedlots and packers? Good luck...<p>: Someone please tell me how to find a solid position <br>: in the beef cattle business. I've been manager of<br>: a commercial cow/calf operation for a couple of years<br>: and must move on due to the owner's sell out. Prices<br>: on cattle have just been too good for him to pass up<br>: even though he's made a sweet profit since I've been<br>: here. Previous to that, I managed a horse/cattle <br>: breeding farm and worked weekends as a relief vet.<br>: assist. and really enjoyed that. These businesses <br>: were also extremely successful. Unfortunately, that <br>: owner passed away and his wife liquidated the business. <br>: I went back to college and earned a degree in Agri. Bus./Agri.<br>: Bus. Mgmt. to help me find some security, but I'm fairly<br>: certain that the concept of security does not exist<br>: in the farming community. How do I make myself an asset<br>: to an employer so as to encourage a little loyalty?<br>: I'm a mom with a couple kids to support and feel like<br>: a traveling circus these days. Will someone please <br>: suggest a step in the right direction? My resume is<br>: really fairly impressive.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

I think agriculture in general is a very difficult area to work in. If you you were to look for a job somewhere in the middle like a feedlot you will have better luck. At the base of the buisness where you seem to have been working is a very risky place for stability, for every one there. Its a roller coaster ride and all you can do is hold on.<br>
<br>

Latest posts