The dumbest thing

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan

Reaction score
All of the abuse that the new guys and hobby guys take from time to time got me to thinking. Believe it or not, in spite of what Caustic might want you to think, you new guys don't have the market cornered on doing stupid stuff. All of us have done something stupid. Anybody that claims otherwise is nothing but a liar.

So I thought it might be fun for some of us 'experienced' cattlemen to 'fess up to those dumb antics and stupid mistakes involving cattle. This is intended to be fun, but should also serve as a learning experience for everyone. And just maybe it'll give you new guys something to laugh at the rest of us about. Fair enough?

I think everybody with at least 10 or 15 years of experience should participate. I won't call any names or challenge anyone specifically, but if you new guys don't see the name of one of your favorite posters telling off on himself/herself, feel free to ask them.

It's only fair that I start it off. I'll have to admit that I had a little trouble deciding on the single dumbest thing I've done relating to cattle over the years. I did get it narrowed down to two, so you guys can choose for yourself......

This first incident happened sometime in the early or mid 80's. As bad as I hate to admit it, even back then I was old enough and experienced enough to know better. I was branding some cows with two or three guys helping me. I don't remember exactly who was doing what, but I do remember that I was running the electric iron.

We were using a manual WW chute and working them through pretty fast. Sometimes back then we would run 600 in a day and you couldn't help but get sloppy and careless toward the end of the day--no excuse, though. I had my iron plugged in to an outlet on the opposite side of the chute from where I was standing and branding. It had worked fine like this for literally thousands of cattle.

A crazy tigerstripe cow was balking going into the chute, so the guy operating the headgate set it where it would catch her and he and I backed off just enough to let her go in and catch herself. When I backed up, I pulled too much slack in the cord that was running over the top of the chute and it was hanging down in the chute and spooking her. I reached out and just sorta flipped the slack out of the cord to get it out of her way. When I did, it coiled back over one corner of the headgate at the top---just as another guy hit her with a hotshot.

She hit that headgate so hard that the ground shook. It was the last thing she ever did. She was fried on the spot. When I flipped the cord to get it out of her way, it had gotten pinched in between the headgate and the catch and got cut right in two when she hit so hard.

It was only a miracle that we didn't lose a man and more cows, too. Because everything around the chute was all welded up together. Moral to the story---now I have electrical outlets on both sides of the chute and I hang the iron overhead so that all of the cord is always above any of the working parts of the chute. Like I should have done to begin with.

The next 'mishap' happened probably a year or two later, but it was with the same WW chute. But just me and one other guy helping me. We were working a little bunch of old, junky salebarn cows. The kind that weighed about 800 soaking wet that you could buy for $200 or $250 and a lot of them would be bred. Those type cows would make a pot full of money in those days.

There were only about 30 or 40 of these little cows, so I figured that two of us could do it pretty quick. The guy helping me was big enough that I didn't even need a squeeze chute. He was about 6'8" and weighed 270 or 280---all of it muscle. He was working the head gate and I don't remember exactly what I was doing. Doesn't really matter.

One of the little cows got in the chute and was really acting crazy. Jumping and kicking, getting her hooves hung up in the sides of the chute. You name it, she did it. We squeezed her down hard, let off, did everything we could think of to get her settled down so I could get her worked and turned out.

I was really getting mad, so I told this guy to "tap her across the nose with something and see if she'll settle down." He picked up a little piece of pipe that we used to go across the chute to keep cattle from backing up. I saw him "tap" her on the nose and it really didn't look too bad---sorta like me tapping a pencil on the table. But when the sound got to me, it sounded more like somebody had hit a dozer blade with a railroad iron. Thunkkkkk!

This little cow dropped so fast that her tail was standing straight up in the air when she hit the floor of the chute. She wasn't just knocked to her knees, she was graveyard dead and never took another breath. I was a little hotheaded back then and probably could have been the next one to go down. Because I looked at this guy standing there still holding the pipe and I was fixing to cuss him like a dog....but the look on his face probably saved my life.

He was looking down at that little cow and his mouth had dropped open so wide I could have set a roll of hay in it. I couldn't help but laugh and that's probably what saved me. He finally started laughing with me and said he didn't know how he'd ever be able to pay for that little old cheap, sorry cow. I told him not to worry about it because it was my mistake. Moral to that story was that from then on if I wanted a cow tapped across the nose with something, I did it myself.

Those are the best I could come up with. If I think of something better, I'll be sure to post it. I'm ready to hear from somebody else now. I'm not gonna call any names, but I've sure got some expectations. ;-)

Oh I have made my share, this goes back to the early 70's had penned the cows wild beast had to put the dogs on some to get them out of that Armand Bayou country on the old West Ranch. Had a old Brangus bull fighting the dogs slinging snot in ever direction and I decided I was going to rope him and drag him in. I was on a 20,000 dollar quarter horse owned by the man I was workin for. I rode in and proceeded to rope Mr. Bad Ass crazy bull jerked the horse from under me then attacked me and the horse the whole time with 2 cur dogs hanging off of him The bull had the horse down and all I could see was that demon killin the horse so I jumped in got the rifle off the saddle in a bull, dog, and horse fight and shot the bull. In a matter of minutes I had gotten a prize horse butt kicked and shot the mans bull.

Back in the early 80's we got a load of Barzona cattle into the feedyard. They were wild and unmanageable. Had a couple that just wouldn't go up the alley to the working pens. I had the bright idea of roping them and just draging em up there. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Well some of you you can see the disaster that was headed my way. Got her roped and we headed down that alley way. My horse and I had to stop up there at the end, but that cow didn't. She shot underneath my horse so fast neither he nor I knew what had happend till that cow hit the end of the rope. Helluva crash, lucky we didn't get killed. Horse never was the same around cattle again. I never roped one in an alley way again.

Two things that happened to me that were quite stupid, both involving my dad:

Early '80's my dad had a herd of hereford cows. One cow just wouldn't come to the corral. My dad had just bought a new Big Red three wheeler, and roped her off the back of the three wheeler, and told me to drive against the direction she was going. WRONG. New 3 wheeler flips at least 10 times, teenage cypress flips more. Dad wraps rope around tree, works cow and looks back and yells at cypress cause he can't control a 3 wheeler better.

One or two years later dad and I were working the cows, and it was getting fast paced. Just the two of us, and the cows were starting to get a little nervous and jumpy, so my dad was telling me to pick the pace up. He put a cow in the chute and yelled, "hand me the damnn shots!" I held out the three syringes, he reached back without looking and grabbed three needles. In my haste I handed him three syringes needles up. He just looked at me and said "Boy, go to the house". That look had me scared.

Bull dogged a pretty wild calf = good sized. Needed doctoring.
Managed to take out the syringe and jam about 5 cc's of Pen into my arm when the same calf kicked me. Doc said if I had any ailments I would be fixed right up - checked me over and such just in case - then laughed all the way back down the hall.

So smart am I that I managed to put 2 cc's of Selenium in my jaw - and stick the needle so hard that I had to yank it out of the lower jaw bone. Same Doc and same laugh - just a different calf and a different year.

Now I do not bull dog and vax unless I have help.

Mind you as I get older I let the young fella's do the tough work - I now always look for the easiest way out.

Bez!

LOL I am literally laughing so hard that my eyes are watering and side is hurting...great posts guys!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure I'll have some to tell before its all said and done...lol

Well i am not a old timer, as a matter of fact last summer was my first time ever to have bought any cattle at all. But this is a story about something i learned the hard way.

I went to the sale barn and bought 3 heifer's that weighed between 400 to 450 lbs. I had ask my vet to vaccinate them before i loaded them and that i would be back in about 4 hour's to pick them up. He said he would have them done by then. So i came back and got in line with my truck and trailer. Pulled up. And when they brought them up to load them they had not been worked. Well i could not pull over to the side to let the other's behind me go on. So i had to go ahead and have them loaded. By the way the picked them up in a little 2 horse enclosed slant load trailer. It had a door that was not much bigger than a barn door. But anyway. I pulled back arround the barn where my vet was still working cattle and ask why he had not worked them. He said he thougt they had ran my heifer's up to him and that he had worked them. But apparently they had not. So i did'nt want to take them to the pasture until they had been worked so i ask him if there was any way he could get them in and vaccinate them. But with the line of trailer's waiting to load out that would have taken for ever. So i ask him if he could vaccinate them in the trailer. He looked at me kind of funny and ask me if i could hold them. And i said sure you bet. So he fill's up all of these sirenge's and here we go to the trailer out in the parking lot. My 10 year old daughter is with me. I tell her to close the trailer door and latch it behind us. Well thoes heifer's are already scared and stirred up form all of the excitement of being run through the sale barn. And when me and that vet get in the trailer with them it only makes thing's worse. My vet is standing by the door in one conner of the trailer with one hand full of sirenge's and his other hand full of bottles of medication. The heifer's start running lap's arround that small trailer and everytime they make their turn at my side of the trailer they kick at me. The trailer is rocking like crazy. And I have learned real fast the hard way thay i can not man handle a 450 lb heifer. So i am hollering at my daughter to open the door and let me out. And the vet is hollering no! no! dont open the door. This goes on for about 3 or 4 minute's me hollering let me out of here and the vet hollering no! no! dont open the door. Finally one of the heirer's nail's me on the leg with a solid kick. And another decide's to try and go out of the top of the trailer right over the top of me. And that settle's it. I yelled to the top of my lung's to open this blanked, blank, blank trailer door now. And at the same time i am giving my vet a very convinceing look that he had better not say no this time. So my daughtet unlatches the door and let's the both of us out. And by this time we have a great big crowd of farmer's gathered arround tring to figure out what is going on. So when we get out of the trailer. My vet is standing there looking like eward scisor hands holding thoes sirenge's and medication dieing laughing. I ask him why he kept telling my daughter to not open the door and he said he did not want the heifer's to get loose in the parking lot. Here i was getting kicked to death. Boy was that ever embarassing.LOL

I think probably the dumbest thing I have ever done involved a stag, a rope and a fence post. I was about 20, so I was definitely old enough to know better! :roll: We had this stag roped and snubbed up on a post, but he was too far away. So, when he would put some slack on the rope, I'd snug it up a bit. Well eventually the rope got crossed over itself and I couldn't just pull to snug it up, so the next time he put some slack on it I grabbed the rope where it crossed and before I knew what had happened my fingers were smack between that rope and the post. Lucky for me, he put some slack on the rope almost immediately or I would be missing 4 fingers today. As it was they were bruised and swollen for a while. I never made that mistake again.

the dumbest thing ive done lately was last year when we were trying to get that cow and calf up out of the wheat field in the thunderstorms and it was so boggy you couldnt drive just anywhere so i told dad to put me out and go around on the other side of the branch to keep the cow from getting away if and when she crossed. As soon i as i got out of the truck i had this overwhelming feeling of "somethings not right here". anyway, to make a longstory short i'm driving a cow and calf on foot out in the middle of a boggy field with no escape readily accessible. cow gets testy and charged me and tagged me while i'm running away screaming like a girl.

Another time, and this is more of just an accident rather than dumbness, i was opening this cabinet we used to keep all the cattle stuff in and i was sitting on the floor indian style. when i opened the doors of the cabinet one of those BIG cattle guns with an i'm talking bout BIG needle falls out and stabs into my thigh. pretty nasty when i pulled it out, blood squirting all over the place.

Another time, and i think this one was both dumb and smart, but was really my only option at the time, we were feeding cows and this calf bawls for no apparent reason. i'm not that close to it, but a protective mother comes at me (not her calf, its not even around) and i'm like oh doodoo! no where to go, if i run shes got me, so i went at her like a raging lunatic and stopped her dead in her tracks. she was like what the crap?! :???:

i'm sure i'll think of others later. maybe some stories will refresh my memory.

Ummmm, besides buying my own cows instead of working other guys herds?

My old uncle was slowly getting out of livestock and was down to 2 bushbunny cows. They'd both had bull calves in the bush that year, so we left em out there for the summer. In the fall, it was time to ship both mommas and calves, and he was going to ship them as heavy 8 weight bull calves.

I told him that he didn't wanna take the hit on them at the barn, and all we had to do was cut them real quick, and it'd be all good. We ran them down his old chute, and locked the first one up in his old scissors headgate. The calf was wild; bucking, kicking and straining like a wildcat when the posts that the headgate was attached to broke off. The calf got caught up when he headed back down the alley, so we were able to get the headgate off of him.

At this point, the smart man would have simply opened up the loading chute and ran the animals in. Instead, I got my ropes, and we headed and heeled those wildcats on the ground, mugged em and cut em. It took 3 hours: I got kicked in the head and jaw more times than I care to count, bit a couple times, and my uncle managed to stick my hand twice with the scalpel. He did get a buck 34 for those mean little beggars, versus 70 cents. Looking back, I should have let him ship the bulls and simply given him the extra money.

Rod

Many dumb moments have happened, but here's one that springs to mind.

About four years ago we were getting ready to trail the cattle out to their summer range in the Community pasture.

Being that trailing bulls can be a royal pain, we decided to do what some of the other folks had done, and just load and haul the bulls to the sorting pens in the pasture rather than trailing them out.

Somehow I got elected to load and haul them (lucky me) in our old rusty stock tralier, so I backed into the chute and that's where I made my mistake.

Due to the fact that our trailer doesn't have a dividing gate that you can open from the outside, I didn't want to partition a bull in the front (as if he hit the gate when you were standing there opening it, there would be a heck of a wreck), but at the same time, I didn't want to waste time hauling one bull at a time.

So, thinking that the bulls had been fairly quiet and penned together all winter in the same corral, I had a 'brain fart'.

I loaded two of Honey's Char bulls into the stock trailer and headed for the pasture.

Well, they rode quietly enough until we arrived at the sorting corrals. Apparantly, the other members were ahead of us, because the pens were loaded with bulls.

As soon as those bulls got wind and sight of the others, they fired up and started fighting in the stock trailer...and believe me, they were really going to town!

I had to drive ahead and back twice, because I couldn't reverse from a standstill due to the fact that the poor old trailer was rocking so bad (and that's with a 454 engine under the hood of the truck).

Finally was able to back up to the unloading alley, and then things went from bad to worse in the space of a heartbeat.

You see, when I opened the trailer door (and with this trailer you have to stand behind the door when unlatching it), out roared over 4000lbs of testosterone and adrenaline!

It didn't take but a moment to realise I was going to be flattened in the middle of their bullfight before that old 'feet don't fail me now' relfex kicked in.

I managed to swing up onto the top rail of one of the pens, just in time to have the arse end of one of the bulls smear crap along my leg. About the only thing that saved me was that he lost his footing a bit and eased off my leg while he was pushing against the other bull.

By now, most of the other bulls in the pens were getting pretty wound up by the preformance of the knuckleheads (especially one of the Limos - man, he sounded like an old freight-train roaring down the tracks -).

The Big Guy above must have been watching out for fools that day because just as I was swinging my leg over that pen, I heard the planks crack as the bulls hit the rails again - thankfully they didn't break right through.

When the dust settled I found I'd been crawling on my hands and knees straight towards a bewildered looking Simmie bull, who fortunately was the only one who seemed unimpressed with the entire performance.

Took about an hour for the fools to settle down enough for me to pen each of them, and I'm sure I was still white as a sheet when I arrived back to haul the other bulls individually. ;-)

Take care.

One of the dumbest thing I ever done occured several yrs ago at that time we were still winter calving. one night about 2 am ? I had a heifer having problems and needed to get her in. I managed to get her into a shed beside the barn. . I went in the house to get some supplies and my wife, but I noticed she had fallen asleep on the couch. I thought Aw let her sleep. She,s tired.

So I get out there and the heifer was pretty worked up so I put her in the headgate in the shed instead of in the barn

I get the pullerchains on. I get this idea that I don,t need the puller I,ll pull it by hand.Hey why not I have done it this way lots right?

So here I am just a pulling on those chains and my feet slip. and she falls. Then next thing I know the heifer is partially laying on top of my legs and waist.

So here I am alone at 2 on a very cold morning trapped underneath a heifer that is almost strangling in a headgate.Beating on her to get her up.And shes not even trying to get up...I finally managed to get her up enough to get out from underneath her.
I was really lucky that she did not croak on me ..as I likely would have froze to death by morning

I learned 4 lessons here...

#1...If you need help get it.

#2...if you have decent facilates use them

#3..if you have a decent puller use it

#4...I.M.H.O..Never use a headgate to restrain an animal while pulling a calf. Use a halter instead tied at waist height.

Had a coming 3 year old cow that didn;t breed back so we were going to load her up and haul her to the sale. She'ld head down the alley then balk at the back of the trailer. The last time, must have been the fourth or fifth time I hopped into thalley and slammed the swinging gate of the trailer on her. She had already finished turning around and when she saw that gate coming at her she butted it. Me being on the other side of it, I went flying. The dumb part was that I stood up. She got me and flipped me in the air and when I came down she decided to make a wet spot out of me with her head and tried stomping on me at the same time. The guy that was helping me load started throwing rocks at her and finally got her distracted. If standing up the first time was dumb, standing up the second was pure stupidity. As soon as I was on my feet, here she comes again. Same deal but it took a lot more to get her distracted. This time I rolled across the pen and under the rail to get out. When I stood up the old girl came at me again, hit the fence, (a series of corral panels, broke them lose from their anchors and took off across the pasture and through a 5 strand barbwire fence trailing a dozen panels, 6 on either side.

dun

Back around 1960-61 after I determined I wasn;t going to be the next world champion branc or bull rider, I bought a little cutting mare. Brought her up one morning, saddled her but left the cinche lose while I went in to have breakfast. Neighbor called and said the cows were out on the road so I ran out, hopped on the mare and headed down the lane. Got to a hole in the fence were some idiot had driven through the fence and the calves were wandering around. Little mare started her work, saddle rolled around to her belly, I got dumped on my head and the mare pushed the calves back through the fence while I sat there watching.
I'm more then sure there are lot more but those are the only ones that come to mind - frequently.

dun

One from my "Greatest Hits" album, was 2 years ago we had an exceptionally honery Simmental X, that was acting a little puny. Could not get her to the pens for nothing, so saddle up the Kawasaki 3010, and headed out to a back pasture she was down in. I knew I'd have to rope her, and try to get her to a tree to Doctor her. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I had a treeless moment, roped her and tied her off to the Mule's rollbar.She jumped up and turned the mule on it's side. It was truly one of those "Yall watch this" moments.Got the rope off her, and the next morning we found her standing in the pens.Then she got her Baytril.

Crowderfarms":329safm3 said:
One from my "Greatest Hits" album, was 2 years ago we had an exceptionally honery Simmental X, that was acting a little puny. Could not get her to the pens for nothing, so saddle up the Kawasaki 3010, and headed out to a back pasture she was down in. I knew I'd have to rope her, and try to get her to a tree to Doctor her. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I had a treeless moment, roped her and tied her off to the Mule's rollbar.She jumped up and turned the mule on it's side. It was truly one of those "Yall watch this" moments.Got the rope off her, and the next morning we found her standing in the pens.Then she got her Baytril.

Would have been worse if you roped her and tried to snub her to the tree and she ran around it in the opposite direction. Being pinned to a tree by a rope with a wild cow at the other end isn;t for the faint of heart. Got the shirt but threw away the rope

dun

Told part of this on another thread, but here goes. Several years ago, I was hauling some cows to a salebarn about 100 miles from home. There were several closer, but we had always got better prices at this one.
I had loaded the trailer with the exception of a 1 yr. old and a jersey bull. I had worked this jersey all his life and never had any problems with him. In the trailer they go, close the gate and start down the road. After about 50 miles, I stopped to check on the cows and found the jersey down with the yr. old walking all over him. Fearing the worst I went into the trailer alone to get him up. He immediately came to his feet and pinned me to the side of the trailer. After what seemed like a lifetime and with the trailer rocking back and forth, My Dad got out to see what was going on, got the bull away from me and got me out. 3 broke ribs taught me what I should have already known.

The dumbest thing I ever did I did because of pride - always a downfall.
My mother was gone for the day and one of her old cows was having calving trouble. Of course she was no where near the corral but at the far end of the field in the trees. Some of my mother's cows then were not the easiest animals to work with. If they knew they needed help you could help, if they didn't think they needed you then you had to watch out. So I drive up to her and I'm talking to her and she is looking gentle as a kitten. I get out of the truck with my whip. I couldn't just chase her with the truck because there were too many trees.
My mother's cow dog I left in the truck. He loved my mother and would help her -me he didn't like much and would do what he could to create more problems rather than helping.
The cow shook her head at me and at that moment I knew better. She didn't want my help and I should have swallowed my pride and called in my mother who would've had a better chance dealing with her. But no, I had to try to prove something. So ignoring all of her body language signs I moved forward and used my meanest tone with her. I was close to the truck in case she did charge so I felt pretty safe. To my surprise she started moving off. I was happy - I wasn't going to have to ruin my mother's day.
Well, that cow got me just far enough from the truck that I couldn't get to it quickly and then she turned and charged. I would like to say that I was light on my feet and made it to the truck or I scurried up a tree or did some other remarkable feat but no not klutzy me. What did I do? I tripped. :roll: I was wearing my big winter boots that I could never walk in much less run and down I went. Anyone read the story in the Bible of Absalom and his donkey? That's what I believe happened. In the story an angel with a sword is standing in the way and the donkey can't pass. I think God must have sent me an angel. As I'm laying there I prayed and saw her coming about a foot from me her expression changed she came to a halt and started backing up. I got back to the truck and thanked God for saving me. My mother's dog could have come to help me but instead he gave me this look like "I thought I finally got rid of you.".
Step number two I decided to go get my horse. My other cattle horse had to be put down the year before and I was just training a three year old. You can all imagine how well that chasing went. :lol: It did however get her out of the trees - even if she was chasing us more than we were chasing her. :oops:
By this time Mom has made it home and I tell her the story. We now have two trucks and start running her for the corral. We figure she'll either go in or tire herself out enough we can help her on the field. She went right in. Once in the corral acted like a perfect angel.
The cow left us that fall but she taught me some lessons I've always remembered.

Latest posts