the duggers-family of 19

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
This disturbs me, ya know this family has 19 kids, the Mom just miscarried the 20th baby-and now they showed pics of the dead baby on their website, the Mom holding its hand, the feet in the Moms hand, I find this really disturbing, kind of like what are these people doing? They say they are grieving for the loss, but I got to wonder if they aren't having these kids for publicity, and showing their dead baby just seems like they have crossed a line. Why would anyone want 19 kids? They have been lucky to have 19 healthy kids, but its like they are obsessed, when is enough a enough?

GMN, I do not understand any of this myself. I don't know how anyone can deal with that many children. I understand the tragedy of a miscarriage, though not personally, but I don't see myself or anyone that I know putting the photos out there for the world to see. It's simply too personal, too private. Somehow I suspect that the media are involved, but I do not know.

Just read some of their story on the blogg, sheer madness in my eyes to have so many, but if he is working and not living off of the State that is something I guess.
My husband would say ' Dick is bigger than the brain' and I don't care who you are there must be some of the kids in that line up that feel left out in some way, in not having Mum's full attention, as how can you give that many any individual attention on one day.?

Some of these families, they don't 'want' you know, but religious code sets the rules. Don't mean the Duggers specifically, I know larger families where the Mum loves every minute of her life, others where she's wondering how she'll last another day...

I come from a family that probably shouldn't have had any. "Enough's enough!" was during the sixth pregnancy.

For a group of people (people being CT members) so turned off by the attention this family is getting (as reflected by several other threads devoted to this family), I am actually surprised to see this family is, once again, getting air time on CT. As Chrisy said, I'm not paying their bill, so I don't get to vote. If I did get to vote, I would vote "I don't care, it doesn't affect me".

The responsibility these children have to one another is a good and healthy thing. If there is problem with kids today (rural, urban and otherwise), it is a total lack of responsibility. Many of us worked no less than these children, and consider it to be an advantage now ~ we were taught responsibility, pride in a job done right, that nothing easy is worth the effort, an excellent work ethic, the realization that our decisions and actions affect more than just ourselves, a healthy sense of obligation to the rights of others and the fact that we are not entitled to anything (let alone everything), an ability to separate want from need, separate privileges from rights, we learn that life is sometimes "no fair" and suck it up.

These parents are NOT doing their children an injustice, they are not making irresponsible choices, there are much bigger fish to fry if you want to get wrought up over something (and please do, some things actually deserve the passion I have read on here devoted to this family), and these children (based on what I have seen) will leave the world a better place than they found it. The parents are good and loving, they are kind and generous to their children, to each other and to their community. All children should be so lucky.

angie":2nm9o6rv said:
For a group of people (people being CT members) so turned off by the attention this family is getting (as reflected by several other threads devoted to this family), I am actually surprised to see this family is, once again, getting air time on CT. As Chrisy said, I'm not paying their bill, so I don't get to vote. If I did get to vote, I would vote "I don't care, it doesn't affect me".

The responsibility these children have to one another is a good and healthy thing. If there is problem with kids today (rural, urban and otherwise), it is a total lack of responsibility. Many of us worked no less than these children, and consider it to be an advantage now ~ we were taught responsibility, pride in a job done right, that nothing easy is worth the effort, an excellent work ethic, the realization that our decisions and actions affect more than just ourselves, a healthy sense of obligation to the rights of others and the fact that we are not entitled to anything (let alone everything), an ability to separate want from need, separate privileges from rights, we learn that life is sometimes "no fair" and suck it up.

These parents are NOT doing their children an injustice, they are not making irresponsible choices, there are much bigger fish to fry if you want to get wrought up over something (and please do, some things actually deserve the passion I have read on here devoted to this family), and these children (based on what I have seen) will leave the world a better place than they found it. The parents are good and loving, they are kind and generous to their children, to each other and to their community. All children should be so lucky.

Yeah, but....doesn't this seem like the Dugger's (Mr and Mrs) egos at work? It is a brag. Hey, hold my beer and watch this. I'm impressed they can support 20, that is a serious amount of money. As long as it is what they want, it is no problem of mine. But I just don't understand it.

angie, there is merit in what you say.
But I do think there is a limit to the responsibility a child can be expected to carry... and a limit to how much you want to learn that life isn't fair.
I've been that walk, you know.
I *am* very passionate about the deal that other kids shouldn't have to live the sort of life I've had. It really wasn't okay in 1890 or 1992 or now.

Might nOt be any of my business but I feel they are doing their children an injustice . I started working when I was 10 . I got paid for it . Raising your brOthers and sisters isn't learning to work . Kids have a very short window to think the world is great and life is easy and have fun . When they grow up and move out they have the rest of their life to be miserable . its not the kids fault their parents are to ignorant to use birth control . But no child should be required to parent their siblings

Caustic Burno":ws6ez98h said:
From the curmudgeon on the board I wonder if they keep trying to keep the show going and the money comeing in.
Strikes me the same way. I don;t really follow it but you can hardly wartch news anywhere that their latest exploits aren;t covered, including the latest with the dead kid pictures. I'm just tiredd of all the hoopla they have garnered to the point that everything they do is made such a big deal over. Don;t care what they do, but not being able to watch the news without hearing about them POs me.

I live near the town Duggers live. When you fail at eveythng but raising kids that is what you do. Yes it is being in the spot light and most likley getting more free money and ect.

hillrancher":wj2c41fj said:
I live near the town Duggers live. When you fail at eveythng but raising kids that is what you do. Yes it is being in the spot light and most likley getting more free money and ect.
For some reason this post seems to make sense. :nod:

Its disturbing to post pics of their dead baby on the internet-I think they have crossed the line with that. No one should post pics of dead babies-grieve but do it in private. One person said maybe this is Gods way of telling these 2 enough is enough. I find it hard to believe this womans body can endure another pregnancy-instead of having more, they should be thinking of what happens if her life is in jeopardy and the 19 they do have, have to grow up without a Mom-

I wasn't going to say anything but now I will.

As a woman who lost a baby if I could have had pictures of that baby girl and been able to touch her I would have. It was not possible though.
And if posting them on the internet to share her with my friends and family I would have too.

As for birth control if you knew anything about the Duggers you would have known they lost a baby earlier due to birth control pills.
I believe it is nobody's right to critize a family for how many kids they have as long as they are taken care.

that is all I have to say on this issue.

It should be dropped.

GMN":2vvbxp9o said:
Its disturbing to post pics of their dead baby on the internet-I think they have crossed the line with that. No one should post pics of dead babies-grieve but do it in private. One person said maybe this is Gods way of telling these 2 enough is enough.
Right. I see your point and I believe many people feel the same way you do. However, I have never had to hold one of my dead babies, so rather than be critical of or judge their decisions, I am just grateful that they were not my decisions. Who is to say what is the right way or the wrong way when you have not walked in their shoes or even when you have.

Perhaps her body is no longer able to support a baby ~ I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on CT.

God doesn't kill babies to teach people a lesson.

Rego, you misunderstand what I said. I consider myself a strong advocate for the rights of children. I have seen the show a few times as I have teen-aged daughters who like to follow it. These children do not, in any way, lead a compromised life. They are not burdened by their responsibilities. I do, however, sympathize with you.

I don't watch the show anymore, not because I found it in any way offensive. It is as I first posted ~ I simply don't care.

I luv herfrds":k7ag8a2n said:
I wasn't going to say anything but now I will.

As a woman who lost a baby if I could have had pictures of that baby girl and been able to touch her I would have. It was not possible though.
And if posting them on the internet to share her with my friends and family I would have too.

As for birth control if you knew anything about the Duggers you would have known they lost a baby earlier due to birth control pills.
I believe it is nobody's right to critize a family for how many kids they have as long as they are taken care.

that is all I have to say on this issue.

It should be dropped.
I know what you mean about wishing you could have seen and held your baby as I have been doing that for the past 37 years, but as you know you learn to live with it, but no way would I have ever posted photo's of Johnathan, he was mine and a very private grief, I would have shown photo's to my family and friends privately, that is just me.

Guess I really am in the dark, didnt even know these folks had a show. Just go to show Americans really are knuckle heads wasting their time watching something like that.

Latest posts