The Dow

Help Support CattleToday:

Re:
Dow has lost over 600 points in the last week, this is not good sign for the economy.
One of my IR's lost 13.5 K from 9-30 to 10-31-12 a, all time record loss for me.
Can't wait to see next month's statement.

& FYI: cattle prices are headed in the same directions. If you got them, you better sell them now as it is only going to get worse.
SL

I hate to see good folks have to sell for less.

And, on another sad note, we may never see another Twinkie. Dunno what those people in Wash and Colo are going to do for munchies now.
Nov 14 (Reuters) - Hostess Brands Inc said it would seek this week to liquidate the company unless enough workers stopped striking by the end of the workday on Thursday to allow the maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies to resume normal operations.

Members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) went on strike on Nov. 9 in response to court-approved pay cuts. The company, which has about 18,000 employees, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in January.

Hostess said it would file a motion with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in White Plains, New York, on Friday to close shop and sell its assets if enough employees do not return to work by 5 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday. If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin to close its operations as soon as Nov. 20.

Hostess Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said the company did not have the financial wherewithal to weather an ongoing strike. A union spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The case is Hostess Brands Inc, Case No. 12-22052, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York.

greybeard":2hs2683o said:
I hate to see good folks have to sell for less.

And, on another sad note, we may never see another Twinkie. Dunno what those people in Wash and Colo are going to do for munchies now.
Nov 14 (Reuters) - Hostess Brands Inc said it would seek this week to liquidate the company unless enough workers stopped striking by the end of the workday on Thursday to allow the maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies to resume normal operations.

Members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) went on strike on Nov. 9 in response to court-approved pay cuts. The company, which has about 18,000 employees, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in January.

Hostess said it would file a motion with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in White Plains, New York, on Friday to close shop and sell its assets if enough employees do not return to work by 5 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday. If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin to close its operations as soon as Nov. 20.

Hostess Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said the company did not have the financial wherewithal to weather an ongoing strike. A union spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The case is Hostess Brands Inc, Case No. 12-22052, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York.

On the news here last night. The Hostess bakery in Seattle locked the doors for good. They told the workers that if they went on stike they would shut down. They went on strike and now they are out of a job, permanently. If I were one of those employees I woudl be having a serious discussion with the union bosses.

The stock market was scratching on 14,000, until congress made a shifted to the donkey persuasion. Trickle down economics was permanently shut off.

Sir Loin":3jq5nltr said:
Re:
Dow has lost over 600 points in the last week, this is not good sign for the economy.
One of my IR's lost 13.5 K from 9-30 to 10-31-12 a, all time record loss for me.
Can't wait to see next month's statement.

& FYI: cattle prices are headed in the same directions. If you got them, you better sell them now as it is only going to get worse.
SL

I'll say cattle aren't as strong as they should be given supply considerations, but I won't sell until I need the money. It can only get better when supply/demand consideration is as favorable as it is now. There really are no cattle in the market. So if you want a good steak your wallet had bettter be open. Ruth's Cris? Ante up. You think the bank won't lend on a string of CAB quality steers that will gain 3.5 lbs /day? I'll take the other side of that one. The man that feeds these cattle will make money. You want people to invest in your green energy scheme, buy them a good steak. They'll shower you with govt money.
When you have a scarce commodity, don't be greedy but don't sell cheep.

I pulled my pennies out of stock market last year expecting this . When it bottoms out ill reinvest. If thecow market goes belly up at least I wont be hungry

john250":22b90cnf said:
I'll say cattle aren't as strong as they should be given supply considerations, but I won't sell until I need the money. It can only get better when supply/demand consideration is as favorable as it is now. There really are no cattle in the market. So if you want a good steak your wallet had bettter be open. Ruth's Cris? Ante up. You think the bank won't lend on a string of CAB quality steers that will gain 3.5 lbs /day? I'll take the other side of that one. The man that feeds these cattle will make money. You want people to invest in your green energy scheme, buy them a good steak. They'll shower you with govt money.

Speaking of commodities...have you priced feeding out stockers lately?? A 400 lb. calf will put you dam near as much money in the bank as a 750 lb. calf. Wait til you "need" money and you're forced to take what they offer.

TexasBred":1jxepfmk said:
john250":1jxepfmk said:

Speaking of commodities...have you priced feeding out stockers lately?? A 400 lb. calf will put you dam near as much money in the bank as a 750 lb. calf. Wait til you "need" money and you're forced to take what they offer.

That aint no joke good 4 wt's are still bring up to 2.25 that is 900 frog hides for a 400 pound calf.
I am hauling a trailer load 12/1 for two neighbors and myself on that Sat morning.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
john250 said:

That aint no joke good 4 wt's are still bring up to 2.25 that is 900 frog hides for a 400 pound calf.
I am hauling a trailer load 12/1 for two neighbors and myself on that Sat morning.
CB Take the money and run on those 4 wts

I think the Dow movement is mostly jockeying and cashing out largely for tax reasons ahead of the "fiscal cliff" January 1. Fiscal cliff coming regardless of who won the election. Taxes must go up somewhere, probably esp on cap gains and dividends.

Dow has been very high this year. But volumes have been relatively low. Many working folks getting tired of being fleeced by the professionals. Recently has pretty much been the no-socks folks at either end of the hallway trying to outsmart each other with their computerized flash trading. Very few folks buying to hold. Why "hold" stocks when with good earnings news the stock goes down as the jockies cash out.

Frankly I think we are much more likely to get a return on a cow rather than the Dow. (sorry couldn't resist) jmho.

Jim

SRBeef":u51a1nem said:
I think the Dow movement is mostly jockeying and cashing out largely for tax reasons ahead of the "fiscal cliff" January 1. Fiscal cliff coming regardless of who won the election. Taxes must go up somewhere, probably esp on cap gains and dividends.

Dow has been very high this year. But volumes have been relatively low. Many working folks getting tired of being fleeced by the professionals. Recently has pretty much been the no-socks folks at either end of the hallway trying to outsmart each other with their computerized flash trading. Very few folks buying to hold. Why "hold" stocks when with good earnings news the stock goes down as the jockies cash out.

Frankly I think we are much more likely to get a return on a cow rather than the Dow. (sorry couldn't resist) jmho.

Yeah we can't allow that money invested for capital gains and dividends get by with being taxed only once.

Latest posts