The disapointment of showing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes Mr.3waycross by your standards I may be a show jock, but that does not define my cow herd. My cows pay real bills in the real world. Should I need to apologize to you for being able to sell $3000.00 steers no. Should I make apologies for judging more show shows than you've probably been to no, but what I can not stand is people who are so barn blind that every time they go to a show it is someone else's fault that they place middle to the end of the class.

To further explain my comments yes I was upset. My children went to the show and I expected more from the judge. Last place was fine if it was accompanied with any comment. For the record the judge in his judging did not speak to them at all, not even once, never asked a question as to their ages (bear in mind they were in a class with all ages),
and in explaining the placings never went beyond second place in acknowledgement. Now I feel that you, being a profecient judge as you are, are wise enough to realize that recoginition is only the gentalmanly thing for a judge to do. You realize that positive reinforcement encourages positive results. It would only be my wish that a judge would be wise enough to realize that the future of anything lies in our youth and it is our resposibility, when entrusted with trusted positions such as being a judge, to do all that we can to build them up and to do nothing to discourage them.

Chi496":2rd2sei3 said:
Yes Mr.3waycross by your standards I may be a show jock, but that does not define my cow herd. My cows pay real bills in the real world. Should I need to apologize to you for being able to sell $3000.00 steers no. Should I make apologies for judging more show shows than you've probably been to no, but what I can not stand is people who are so barn blind that every time they go to a show it is someone else's fault that they place middle to the end of the class.

Show Jock was a statement of fact not a put down or an accusal..............the rest is just plain old U, you could go ahead and apologize for that and the way U treated him. :nod:

The only problem I see is in your world the only animal that works is that $3000 steer or even better the $10,000 steer, or the $20,000 steer.... For what to win a horshyt beauty contest.

Kjonsel's only problem is the he made the mistake of thinking that YOUR GAME was something else, like FAIR. He wasn't bytching about the cattle but the way his kids were treated. Again like I said you and your set don't give a flying shyt about guys like him or his kids unless they want to buy one of your $3,000 steers.

I played the SHOW game with Quarter horses before you were born and it was the same BS as the cattle showing game.

3waycross":mxfdrryd said:
Chi496":mxfdrryd said:

Show Jock was a statement of fact not a put down or an accusal..............the rest is just plain old U, you could go ahead and apologize for that and the way U treated him. :nod:

The only problem I see is in your world the only animal that works is that $3000 steer or even better the $10,000 steer, or the $20,000 steer.... For what to win a horshyt beauty contest.

Kjonsel's only problem is the he made the mistake of thing that YOUR GAME was something else, like FAIR. He wasn't bytching about the cattle but the way his kids were treated. Again like I said you and your set don't give a flying shyt about guys like him or his kids unless they want to buy one of your $3,000 steers.

I played the SHOW game with Quarter horses before you were born and it was the same BS as the cattle showing game.

good way to put it 3way.
I only complain about my cattle or someone esles not do good because of known judge malfuntion is because these are jr shows and 4-H show and really we should not teach kids that more friends you have the more wins you get.
This year I hepled a family that had fullblood simmys go down to the duquoin state fair and i took my maines also. They showed with the purebred simmys and got on bottom in one class but in another class they were the only two, and the little girl(10 years old) was so excited when she got that ribbon she about shouted. That's what it's all about I like to see it fair to everyone so everyone can get their moment of excitment.
I like the hair on my cattle and like to win and have people say I have a nice animal and I would like to sell $3000 animals and be in magizines but it would not be worth it if I lost sight of the kids get that second place ribbon and the happyness they get. So yes Chi496 I probly will be barn blind and only live in the 4-H'er stage but I won''t be the one rippen little kids off by jacking up a huge price tag for some animal that is just the same as all the rest, and i'll never be a show jock. Thank you and good night

sim.-ang.king":136qqx4p said:
3waycross":136qqx4p said:
Chi496":136qqx4p said:

Kjonsel's only problem is the he made the mistake of thing that YOUR GAME was something else, like FAIR. He wasn't bytching about the cattle but the way his kids were treated. Again like I said you and your set don't give a flying shyt about guys like him or his kids unless they want to buy one of your $3,000 steers.

good way to put it 3way.
I only complain about my cattle or someone esles not do good because of known judge malfuntion is because these are jr shows and 4-H show and really we should not teach kids that more friends you have the more wins you get.
This year I hepled a family that had fullblood simmys go down to the duquoin state fair and i took my maines also. They showed with the purebred simmys and got on bottom in one class but in another class they were the only two, and the little girl(10 years old) was so excited when she got that ribbon she about shouted. That's what it's all about I like to see it fair to everyone so everyone can get their moment of excitment.
I like the hair on my cattle and like to win and have people say I have a nice animal and I would like to sell $3000 animals and be in magizines but it would not be worth it if I lost sight of the kids get that second place ribbon and the happyness they get. So yes Chi496 I probly will be barn blind and only live in the 4-H'er stage but I won''t be the one rippen little kids off by jacking up a huge price tag for some animal that is just the same as all the rest, and i'll never be a show jock. Thank you and good night

:nod: :tiphat:

King - how is someone ripping someone off, if the cattle are the same, buy the cheaper one. If someone is willing to pay 3000 or 50,000 for a steer because they (yes they) feel it is worth it, thin let them pay it. Calves would not sell for what they sell for if someone was not willing to pay that much for it.
We try to find the best steer we can for our budget, if the kid wanted to spend 1500 he found the best he could for that price. If he found a steer for less he liked he bought it. I also have seen kids who found the cheapest steer they could (less than market) and they were worth what they paid for them. I think the one steer finished out at 1100 pounds 7 month after the fair.

As far as the judge not giving reasons, shame on him, there is no real excuse for that. That was just one judge, many judges are great with the kids and make it educational and enjoyable.

He did not ask age since most of them would have been wrong anyways, a lot of cows are rebred before the current calves are even born. ;-)

VCC":1jigotvv said:
King - how is someone ripping someone off, if the cattle are the same, buy the cheaper one. If someone is willing to pay 3000 or 50,000 for a steer because they (yes they) feel it is worth it, thin let them pay it. Calves would not sell for what they sell for if someone was not willing to pay that much for it.
We try to find the best steer we can for our budget, if the kid wanted to spend 1500 he found the best he could for that price. If he found a steer for less he liked he bought it. I also have seen kids who found the cheapest steer they could (less than market) and they were worth what they paid for them. I think the one steer finished out at 1100 pounds 7 month after the fair.

As far as the judge not giving reasons, shame on him, there is no real excuse for that. That was just one judge, many judges are great with the kids and make it educational and enjoyable.

He did not ask age since most of them would have been wrong anyways, a lot of cows are rebred before the current calves are even born. ;-)
your right people can pay what they want but, i'll never have all my calves jack up so that no small timer couldn't pay it. Cause if I sold 10 calves for $1000-$1200 compared to selling 5 for $5000. It would be the same amount but I would be helping out 10 kids and probly get more money in the long run. Your right I shouldn't of said "rippen little kids off" I should of said i'd rather sell to small times than the big time any time.

Well 3way if you don't like the "BS" that you think that goes along with showing cattle why do you post on a "Show" board the reason I put show in quotes is I don't really think many that vist this site go to more than a show a year if any at all. So y'all have fun in your little rainbow world where your the best and everyone else is cheating.

Chi496":kaurrr4q said:
Well 3way if you don't like the "BS" that you think that goes along with showing cattle why do you post on a "Show" board the reason I put show in quotes is I don't really think many that vist this site go to more than a show a year if any at all. So y'all have fun in your little rainbow world where your the best and everyone else is cheating.

Once an ass always an ass! FWIW I only posted here cuz it was about Gelbvieh's to begin with. You arrogant little jerk, and you are just the kind of jerk who got kjonsel upset with the whole show thing to begin with. I have nothing against showing real world cattle against their standard. Those badly contructed, postlegged, little pigs you show are nuthin but crap up against cattle that have to work for a living and you know it. I'd love to see some of your lard butted little pigs grazing a shortgrass pasture in eastern Colo or running at 10,000 feet for the summer. They would be dead in a week. Adios muchacho! :cowboy:

Chi496":1bljh23g said:
I have shown at my far share of shows. I do all the tricks and raise the right animals I run fans and use paint, but what is different from me and you is that if they aren't moms they get shipped out doesn't matter what their breeding is or what shows they one. I seem to like the rainbow world atleast then i'm not all grumpy and stupid and always stuck up like my life is more importan then your's.

Yea guess i'm a rainbow freak :banana:

Our county fair had 22 steers this year . Everyone shows together (4-H/FFA) . The market steer class is just that blacks ,whites,buckskins,reds all show together , they are all going on the rail together . I don't think a market steer class should be segragated by breed , they sure aren't in the feedlot , finished is finished . It's not uncommon for a lower placing animal to place higher than the grand champion . A relative's ranch buys the animal , they write the purchase off and the kid goes to college . We continue to have good support , thanks to good grain prices , good cattle market and oil and gas drilling . I'am a commercial man , I have little to no use for show cattle , they do not represent the beef industry that the comsumer needs to be educating , but they are at the county/state fairs that the comsumers are at . They are there poodles of the cattle industry that do nothing to enhance individual breeds . With my kids we set goals before the fair . Get the calves halter broke before the snow flies ,continue to work them as soon as we can in the spring , make weight ,get them shown , get them sold , nobody gets hurt and have a good time . This past year was a train wreck . It started snowing the 16th of november and we had it through april . the calves barely got worked . When it thawed we had mud and flooding for a month , we didn't have enough pens to get the steers and replacement heifers and late calvers sepperated , so they didn't get on finisher untill late . The calves just made weight but weren't finished . We had a talk and decided we wouldn't take sub par animals . We kept them a couple of months longer and sold them to a local packer for market on the rail . The kids got checks for a little over 1200 dollars . Life lesson , best layed plans sometime just don't work . I don't know how many calves you had in each class , but it hardly excuses a judge for not talking a little bit with each kid . I like Gelveih cattle , the real only downer I see in them is they tend not to be clean in the neck and tend to pack some extra leather there . The show cattle world is one I don't get , the mentality is so far removed from ranching I probably never will , that became evident when I tried surfing around steerplanet.com . and the biggest concern was they couldn't make enough hair , who eats hair?

mlazyj The show cattle world is one I don't get said:
Haha... I agree. But yet, I still show. I love the animals, not the showing. I care about the showing aspect, but at the same time, productivity is more important around our farm than appearance (such as hair, I don't mean conformation). Our fair is not overly competitive, is very small, and many people groom/fit very little. So, while I try to get a good coat, it will not make or break the heifer for me.

I haul to the Texas majors, and the AJSA junior nationals, plus I sell a few calves for juniors to show as well. I have opinions as well on both sides of the debate actually.

I agree that sometimes it is very political, and there are ocassions when it's pretty much a concensus that the best calf didn't win. We also all have opinions on what we feel is the best animal, and when you go into the ring, you're asking for that particular judge's opinion. You certainly don't have to agree with it, but you DID ask for it. So be a good sportsman, and teach your children to be as well.

I do think it was rude and unfeeling of the judge to not make a comment on all of the calves, especially since they are kids. They at least feel as if he LOOKED at them. I can remember years ago I was at a small county show, and there was this young man that had the most AWFUL steer I've ever seen. I mean, toed out, straight shoulder, not guts, blah blah. He of course stood last, but the judge made a point to still find a couple of things nice he could say about the steer, and made a few suggestions as to what to look for next time. The young man listened and learned. And the next year I sold him a MUCH nicer calf, at .79 a pound.

Having said that, I LOVE to show. I go to meet the other breeders / friends that I haven't seen since the last show, and I love to talk to the folks walking around the barns. I always take animals that can be handled, so kids can pet them. I take the best cattle I have, with the hopes of winning, but if someone has one nicer, I'm glad for them to win also. It amazes me how many people take it TOO SERIOUSLY.

TheBullLady":x16cne2v said:
I haul to the Texas majors, and the AJSA junior nationals, plus I sell a few calves for juniors to show as well. I have opinions as well on both sides of the debate actually.

I agree that sometimes it is very political, and there are ocassions when it's pretty much a concensus that the best calf didn't win. We also all have opinions on what we feel is the best animal, and when you go into the ring, you're asking for that particular judge's opinion. You certainly don't have to agree with it, but you DID ask for it. So be a good sportsman, and teach your children to be as well.

I do think it was rude and unfeeling of the judge to not make a comment on all of the calves, especially since they are kids. They at least feel as if he LOOKED at them. I can remember years ago I was at a small county show, and there was this young man that had the most AWFUL steer I've ever seen. I mean, toed out, straight shoulder, not guts, blah blah. He of course stood last, but the judge made a point to still find a couple of things nice he could say about the steer, and made a few suggestions as to what to look for next time. The young man listened and learned. And the next year I sold him a MUCH nicer calf, at .79 a pound.

Having said that, I LOVE to show. I go to meet the other breeders / friends that I haven't seen since the last show, and I love to talk to the folks walking around the barns. I always take animals that can be handled, so kids can pet them. I take the best cattle I have, with the hopes of winning, but if someone has one nicer, I'm glad for them to win also. It amazes me how many people take it TOO SERIOUSLY.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :nod: Well said.

I have been away from the forum for awhile. To follow up my children grew a little thicker skin and went and selected not 2 but 3 heifers this fall. They are going to show them but have decided to put their focus on the breeding of the heifers to fullblood sires so as to attempt to keep the fullblood genetic line. My son especially is captivated by the genetic aspect of maintaining a genetic base for other breeders to work from. I read his FFA plan and he has developed a strategy of surviving in the beef market by having a niche market of unique genetics. Somewhere he obtained information that there are less than 500 active females with fullblood registry.

He read where recently a breeder went to Germany and he selected two sires and I can't remember if he brought back the sires or just imported the semen.

kjonesel":4r5dwcks said:
I found out after the original post that My sister's children in Jackson Co. didn't even show cattle there this year because it became a parent's show. That's when it becomes sad.

and that's made me disappointed. :cry: :cry:

Insofar as showing is concerned, Denver is a prime example of where it all began. A marketing tool! The ring and the yards are perfect places to display your best genetics and showcase your abilities. A good definition I like to use is showcasing superior genetics performing in an ideal environment. That's essentially the base of it. Show cattle can be mated to more practical breeds to produce some outstanding cattle. I get the chance to help display a bull calf sired by Bojo out of a full blood Lowline cow. Calving ease in a cool, hairy package. Not to mention feed efficient out on grass. I think it's safe to say there is not end all - be all breed out there. Each breed offers something different and each breeding program puts their unique spin on things. So tell your young showman to keep up the good work with his breed and enjoy it.

Although, a piece of advice I might just throw out there for you to smoke in your pipe. In Indiana especially, if you're trying to win a purple ribbon at the county show, go buy a good, club calf sired steer. I wouldn't recommend a heifer if you're producing functional full bloods. But I think the chance to develop a good breeder relationship and enjoy hauling a really good one to your show after all the hard work you put in is a great experience.

Latest posts