The day came

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Took off our favorite cow today. Beefmaster cow my wife named Spot Nose. She wasn't real old but her udder had been getting bigger and lower every year. Last year, it was a miracle that her calf got a hold of it, she had already went blank in a front quarter at that point. We thought we would try to get one more calf from her, and last Sunday a week ago she calved. She did everything right but her udder was so low and calf big. We got her in the chute and tried to get the calf on her. She had lost another quarter and I milked the back two and got a bottle of colostrum. Calf readily took the bottle so made the decision to bottle it on and turned the cow out. We have two young daughters of her. Unfortunately it looks like the oldest one of them is going to have an udder just like her, in spite of being out of a bull that has typically improved udders. 5083DA71-E0D6-4891-A7DA-5A760A45D03B.jpeg

I think a majority of us have gone through the same thing. I think it is always hard to say goodbye to one of the favorites. hopefully one of her daughters will make a great replacement for you and carry the memories for many years.

Sorry to hear that. It's always hard when it's time to sell a favorite. She looked like a nice one. That's the number one thing I've had to cull my BrahmanX cows over the years for is udders that get too low or big for calves to get latched on. Hope her last calf turns out nice for you.

Got the t-shirt. Lucky for me, so far, any heifer I've retained have great udders. But I have another fave I'm debating on selling at weaning. Can I get one more year out of her? It just sucks!

Did you watch any of the sale today? They haven't posted the prices yet.
No, we didn't stay around, but they must have had a good sized run. We sold some steers in Lexington on Monday, They said they had 400 feeders come in there Sunday night, and were expecting several big groups for Tuesday's sale.

I have six older cows left I decided to try another year. A couple days ago the last one had a calf and all are doing good except one. Unless she picks up in milk production the calf is going to be a slow grower or need help. She had a couple large front tits it took a couple weeks before the calf got them down to size so maybe she will pickup some. All are leaving late fall except one I will not sell. Seems the older I get the more I hate to see the old cows go, especially after visiting the slaughter house a few times.

Took off our favorite cow today. Beefmaster cow my wife named Spot Nose. She wasn't real old but her udder had been getting bigger and lower every year. Last year, it was a miracle that her calf got a hold of it, she had already went blank in a front quarter at that point. We thought we would try to get one more calf from her, and last Sunday a week ago she calved. She did everything right but her udder was so low and calf big. We got her in the chute and tried to get the calf on her. She had lost another quarter and I milked the back two and got a bottle of colostrum. Calf readily took the bottle so made the decision to bottle it on and turned the cow out. We have two young daughters of her. Unfortunately it looks like the oldest one of them is going to have an udder just like her, in spite of being out of a bull that has typically improved udders. View attachment 5932
I have one with an utter just about like that.

She is about a 6 or 7 year old cow. Usually raises a good calf. But last year she had twins. Between nursing the twins and letting other calfs nurse the twins didn't grow out very good.

I never gave any thought to a cows utter hanging so low that the calf couldn't nurse.

Wife wanted to find a bottle baby a add to her because she is making so much milk. But didn't want to do that.

Was thinking about culling her because of the possibility of having twins again but not being as lucky. Next time one of them could be a breach or something like that.

A 1,300 pound cow at $0.77 is a touch over $1,000. The neighbor has a lot of cows. Not many over 1,300 pounds. He said "I hope this holds for another month". Last winter he was going to buy 200 broken mouth cows. I know he didn't get that many but he probably has over 100.

Getting rid of a hereford just like her in a month for the same reason. Old reliable cow, it will be sad to see her go.

Neighbor had a cow with huge and low udder and tits as big as 2 liter bottle of soda. Of course calf cant nurse. Bottle feeds the calf and after watches the calf try to get a little out of the momma. Still wont get rid of the cow.

There's one here on my place now like that. (not mine) and she really needs to go. Previously used as a home milk cow, has some Jersey in her but was giving a LOT of milk daily till she had a quarter go bad and tried to kill the owner a couple of times.

I saw her laying down earlier in the week and at first thought she was dead but the only way she could lay down was with legs up in the air.
She looks miserable but not my problem. Owner says she had a calf a couple weeks ago, but if so, I haven't seen it.

We have one more cow with a real bad udder too, that after weaning her calf this fall she's going to market. She was purchased as a 4 wt heifer and has raised 3-4 calves but not real impressive so going to mover her before it gets worse. After that our cows should have overall pretty good udders. Hoping that the next crop of heifers coming on will too as some are by a purchased bull that haven't calved out any daughters yet.

Latest posts