The cost of set up and AI in your area.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I'm figuring on a 7 or 10 day protocol using CIDR's. I'm just trying to figure out the going rate to set up and AI, not including the price of semen.

When I give a heifer a round of AI for a buyer prior to sale, I add 75-100 onto the cost, but that covers semen and the cost of transferring the reg papers. I figure $60 not including semen is in the ballpark. CIDRs are pricey.

Thanks, I was figuring on $45 per head plus semen and and a $500 minimum. The way I see it is, if you can adverage getting the job done in four trips to the farm you'd be lucky. Dependably is mandatory in AI and not available in our area.
How do y'all feel about bringing your cattle to someone's place to get the AI service done, or paying them to bring your cows to their place to be set up and AI bred? The bio - security thing scares me some but the cattle would definitely be penned in groups from the same farm.

I can set mine up for about $20 per head. The cidr's are the biggest cost, but was told by a Dr. in bovine reproduction that puts the ai clinic on that I attended said studies have shown cidrs can be used twice with just as good results.

Cidr/2 = 6
2 shots GnRH = 6
1 shot Lute = 4
Patches = 2
Total cost = $18

So by the time you add lube, syringes, gloves will be close to 20 I would say.

midTN_Brangusman":m0jn9wju said:
I can set mine up for about $20 per head. The cidr's are the biggest cost, but was told by a Dr. in bovine reproduction that puts the ai clinic on that I attended said studies have shown cidrs can be used twice with just as good results.

Cidr/2 = 6
2 shots GnRH = 6
1 shot Lute = 4
Patches = 2
Total cost = $18

You use patches on timed AI? I was told a CIDR was good for 10 days. And if you were going to reuse them put them in cows and not heifers. My set up cost are the same as yours, except I have to travel to the customer.

36 to 40 per head depending on number, cost is about 17 dollars. And you should be making some on sale of semen, if not price goes up.
Cidr $9.75
Gnrh x 2 $4.00
PG $2.00
Patch $1.00
I never reuse cidrs anymore, but if I was id go from cow to heifer, the cidr is a little more plyable and not as harsh on heifers!

Our cost is more in line with bse

CIDR 10.00
Gnrh x 2 1.04
PG 1.75
we don't use a patch

add needles and syringes est 15.00 per head and we reuse CIDR's so that cost is actually 5.00 per head if you are just figuring a per head cost.

gizmom

Y'all get better deals on supplies than I do! And I never re-use supplies/CIDRs. My estimate included us doing the protocol (so, some labor cost for an extra hand or two), then the arm fee for the AI tech to come out at the end.If you guys can get all those meds, syringes, lube, Cidrs, needles, labor and AI tech for 20 bucks, my hat is off to you.

The 17 dollars is just cost of supplies, drugs, cidrs, not arm service or labor which will make it 36 to 40 + semen.

Gizmos
What type Gnrh at a dollar? I've used Factrel at about $1.95 mostly now Cysterlin at about $2.05

This year I put in CIDR's myself and gave all the shots. All I had vet do was come out and perform AI. Here is what I spent for 7 head.

7 CIDR's= $80.36
1 CIDR Applicator=$15.79
10ds Lutalyse=$32.99
5ds Cystorelin x2=$30.58
$45 for tub of lube and disinfectant from Valley Vet Supply
$179 for vet plus I was a little short on lutalyse so I had to pay for more of that.

I spent $489.80 so it was about $69.98 per head. This does not include semen.

Hope this helps.

I've been averaging $50/hd that includes everything (even the techs arm service)

Lazy M":2sj166sa said:
I've been averaging $50/hd that includes everything (even the techs arm service)
it cost me the same but my boss gave me the GnRH and lute free! other then that the tech came out twice put in cidrs the first time and bred the second semen was $25 so the trip charge, arm charge, and cidr were $25

Lazy M":3akwyelj said:

X2

Roughly $10 for the CIDR, $10 for the drugs, $10 a head for the tech arm service, and $20 for the semen. Maybe a couple pennies more but not dollars. That was for 60 head.

True Grit Farms":2yudhk31 said:
midTN_Brangusman":2yudhk31 said:

Cidr/2 = 6
2 shots GnRH = 6
1 shot Lute = 4
Patches = 2
Total cost = $18

You use patches on timed AI? I was told a CIDR was good for 10 days. And if you were going to reuse them put them in cows and not heifers. My set up cost are the same as yours, except I have to travel to the customer.

I breed on observed heats and clean up ai, will never do timed again.

We just finished AI'ing heifers (30 head), where they hauled them to our facility. We did everything from start to finish. We charged $20 a head + semen and feed for the 12 days we held them.

We charge a bit less if we have them assisting throughout the process. He also gets a call for one or two head now and then and they're usually business friends, (you scratch my back, I will scratch yours) and my husband will not charge to just drive over and AI it but a cold beer is welcomed. Same folks will usually purchase some of our semen. Win Win.

Latest posts