The changing world

Help Support CattleToday:

The old timers lived the way they knew, they didn't know any different and none of the luxuries of today were around so it was the way it was. I know a guy that remembers when electricity was brought into his area-it was a big deal, i wonder what is the big deal, change that any of us will remember when we are in out 80's?

GMN":2l7mksuo said:
The old timers lived the way they knew, they didn't know any different and none of the luxuries of today were around so it was the way it was. I know a guy that remembers when electricity was brought into his area-it was a big deal, i wonder what is the big deal, change that any of us will remember when we are in out 80's?

I would say the internet and cell phones totally changed society.

GMN":3erfxiay said:

In our 80s, we won't remember a **** thing........

backhoeboogie":1yepg5ad said:
cross_7":1yepg5ad said:
My grandparents moved to WestTexas in a covered wagon
My grandad worked for other farmers to begin with then started farming on his own and built tanks with a team of horses and a fresno

I have used a fresno myself. Never use that word much any more. Each time I do I spend way more time explaining what a fresno is.

I got to spend a big part of the summer of 63 behind a team with a fresno(also known in our country as a slip) building a dike across the purgatory river on my Grandpa's place. It would have been a lot more fun if they didn't have the heaves. I used to get faint from all the methane produced by those two belgians.

Caustic Burno":r5t331sl said:
Don't forget everyone of those TV sets had a pair of channel locks sitting on them so you could change the channel when the tuner broke.
The Channel locks came in a set with a pipe wrench that was attached to the antenna pole for proper tuning. Every time you changed channels had to go outside and swing the antenna around. If you didn't it would look like two polar bears fighting in a snow storm.

Lol...I remember that we never saw any of the shows on NBC, just couldn't get a decent signal out to Highlands. Of course back then we all were Cowboy fans and if the Oilers were playing the Cowboys were blacked out. I got the idea of trying to turn the attenna to get a weak signal out of Beaumont. It worked,,,,,,I was the "Man" for about a week !

Reading these posts makes me realize just how easy this generation has it. Just think, young men today don't have to suffer the anxiety and shear terror of calling a girl on the phone and praying her father doesn't answer the phone.

My dad was a wise man and very practical minded and he didn't embrace the new age inventions. During my senior year in high school a man asked if I'd come to work for him during the start up of a new type of television Cable TV. He explained it to me and how it would be a big money maker for him and he offered me a salary of $250/week plus $0.25/month/subscriber I booked and they would be mine as long as I worked for him. Forgetting the commission, the $250/week was double what I was making working six days a week so I thought it wonderful. Ran it past my dad and he said, "GD son. That's ridiculous. Use your head. Who in their right mind would pay to watch television". Anyone familiar with television networks would recognize the man's name today because he now has news channels, weather, television channels and a host of other cable related enterprises.

My dad was right about a lot of things but on this one he missed the mark and missed it bad.

Jogeephus":1rk42xo6 said:
Reading these posts makes me realize just how easy this generation has it. Just think, young men today don't have to suffer the anxiety and shear terror of calling a girl on the phone and praying her father doesn't answer the phone.
And all these years I thought I was the only one to suffer this. :hide:
Not only that but I was afraid 'she' might answer and I would be stricken dumb and not be able to talk.
Or that she would not even remember who I was. :help:

Ryder":2mjxndra said:
Jogeephus":2mjxndra said:
Not only that but I was afraid 'she' might answer and I would be stricken dumb and not be able to talk.

I don't recall my Dad or Grand dad ever talking on the phone. I can't remember men with a phone to the ear. I think talking on the phone back then was womans work ;-)
My greatest fear on using the phone was Mrs. Castleberry down the road evesdropping and telling all. We had party lines through my high school years. I think that is why men avoided the telephone.
I can remember being told a story of something that happened soon after phone lines were first run in this area. A neighbor named Scoggins entire family got deathly ill. Everybody that shared the party line with them cut their phone lines for fear of the disease transmitting through the phone. Yes, how times have changed.

Ryder":1thfvg3l said:
Jogeephus":1thfvg3l said:

Got on the 17 year old grandson about texting a while back.
He said he was texting a girl and then said how did I ever expect him to get married if he couldn't text.
I replied son in my day we wanted to touch the girl not text her.

I got on a young man for texting all the time at work. He couldn't get anything done for having to pick up the phone to text. I got on him but he started sneaking his texts in till one day he dropped his phone and it got run over by the tractor and the implement. The next day he had a new phone and the next day he ran over it again. I couldn't help but chuckle.

Ryder":7tv3fy5d said:
Jogeephus":7tv3fy5d said:

:lol2: :lol2: I know exactly what you mean. Good thing too we didn't have caller id back in the day because I can think of more than one occasion when I mustered up the nerve to call a girl only to wimp out, go speechless and hang up on her. This might be misinterpreted as stalking today. :oops:

I carry a cell phone....it is just an old flip phone....my riding buddy and my wife and ocassionally my son are about all who ever call me....

served me well the other day....

I found an old shed that I seldom go in had the roof gone bad and was leaking terribly. just a small shed so I picked up some lumber and sheet metal and just put a new roof on it.....no big deal and did it in an afternoon.....I was up there nailing down the sheet metal when the wife got home.....

now I am aged and not as nimble as back in the old timey days...And I do suffer lingering balance problems from an ancient inner ear infection....I probably should not have been up there....

but when it cam time to get down....every time I tried to get on the ladder either it slipped or I did.....tried eight or ten times and never got a foot on the ladder.....finally realized I had a phone in my pocket and called the wife to come out to hold the ladder for me.....

While I have never used an outhouse or anything I often wish that I had grew up in those times where that was the norm as well as my kids so they would have a REALLY good appreciation for what they have now. I truly wish I could have used horses to farm with for one year to see how it was. I got my great grandfathers farm equipment that was horsedrawn and I am reading up on it and trying to figure out how to use it. I am going to completely restore it while I do not like or have horses to get the full effect I will get someone to pull me on a tractor to simulate using horses one day. I do however remember ever year going to what we called " Wood Pile " and loading down the 1949 gmc truck with sides on it higher than truck cab and taking the wood home and splitting and stacking that is where I got my first taste of trees and loved cutting them and still to this day cut trees. I also remember great grandma milked cows and kept her milk and stuff needing to be cooled in what we called the spring house where it had pipes running in it and concrete floor wood sides and tin roof kept stuff pretty cool in there. We also had a grainery there and below it is where grandma kept all her canned goods and all the hog meat. Unfortunately, My great aunt wanted to sell the land and my grandmother that lives with me now did not and court made them sell and they auctioned the land off my grandmother didn't want to buy it and I didn't have the $ at the time to buy it. I tell ya something else you learn is some family just isnt worth a dam.

I read through all of the living experiences you folks have had. I will share some of mine. We moved to the family farm when I was six. Deal was $500 an have to keep my Grandmother for the rest of her life. There was 13 kids and 5 step kids in my dads family. My mother was the only one my Grandmother could get along with. Living conditions about the same as yours. Once a month to town to sell eggs and cull chickens. My mother always had chickens, laying mash sacks were prints. My mother washed and ironed them and the women in the community would buy them to make dresses. You might see the women in church with a sack dress that had the mash in it a week before. One winter day about 1947 cold snow and sleet on the ground, the mail carrier came and tooted the horn on his jeep. I ran out to see what he wanted. He needed to talk to my mother. She came out and was told that he had 500 baby chicks that someone had ordered from Sears and Roebuck and the ones who ordered them turned them down and he could not send them back. My mother took them and we stacked the crates in the living room until my mother and father could get the brooder house ready. My mother raised most of them. They were all roosters. We ended up killing and dressing them and dad peddled them out to the oil camps around the area. Each oil camp was a small village built by the oil companies to house the employees and families. No insulted clothing at the time and cold as all get out. Makes me shiver to think about it.

Latest posts