the calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I dont think it was a birth problem. She has only started this since Thursday. Happens when she is woke up and trys to stand. Lasts about 30 seconds or so. Seems like maybe her muscles are stressed from lack of use/exersize? I did just pad her out with fresh clean new hay. She seems disoriented. I thank you for your comments

[email protected]

I haven't posted anything on this calf because without a proper physical exam and likely bloodwork including electrolytes anything I say is total guesswork. Whoever the vet is who hasn't seen this calf and yet prescribes meds is not practicing good medicine. You may have a permanent neurological problem all the way to an easily correctible problem. Antibiotics are fine if you know why you're using them, as are the B vitamins. I'd be doing a full neuro exam, taking blood for a CBC, 'lytes and possible Se level (guessing since I haven't seen the calf) as well as a full physical exam including looking for sepsis (navel infection, joint ill) and possibly more! Keep the calf clean, dry and hydrated. No drafts! Good footing....and a proper physical exam and diagnosis. Is there a vet college nearby you can contact? Good Luck V

Thank you, Vicki.

Charlene, if there is any difference in my advice and Vicki's, take Vicki's!! She's the expert and is very much appreciated for her help.

> I haven't posted anything on this
> calf because without a proper
> physical exam and likely bloodwork
> including electrolytes anything I
> say is total guesswork. Whoever
> the vet is who hasn't seen this
> calf and yet prescribes meds is
> not practicing good medicine. You
> may have a permanent neurological
> problem all the way to an easily
> correctible problem. Antibiotics
> are fine if you know why you're