The Bubble Has Burst

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
A wise man told me once that chasing a dream was often more fun than living the dream. Well, we chased a dream for 35 years or more and I'll have to say that dreaming was more fun than reality.

Due to droughts, high fertilizer costs, lower calf prices, high hay prices and probably mistakes made due to ignorance and being a little long in the tooth, we are considering our dream properly chased and poorly lived. It is over. The cows are gone, the pastures are empty and our hearts are sad. That is life. I am thankful to have had our opportunity to make our dream come true.

My husband always says his idea of heaven is black cows, green pastures and no fences to build. Sounds pretty good to me too.

Will we ever have cows again? Maybe, but not electric fences. We never found the secret to keeping our cattle in with electric fences. Others in this area have the same problem.

Everyone has to have a dream, so I will dream about getting my infrastructure more secure and then buying more cattle. Let's see, I'll probably be around 80 years old. Is that too old to start over again?

I'm sorry. I hope you can hold on to the place and maybe get a few black cows again someday. I know that I'd miss mine terribly. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I can't tell from the tone of your post whether you are more relieved or sad. I assume it is a combination of each. Relieved from the fencing concerns but sad for the fact that after 35 years the cows are gone- at least for a while. Regroup, work on your infrastructure and come roaring back as the cattle enterprise warrants. My wife and I restructured our farming about 10 years ago as we had goals that we were not going to reach the way we were headed so we switched directions and so far so good. Not the same size as we once were but have different interests now too. So good luck with your decisions and as long as you have a positive attitude you will reach your goals. Best wishes.-JLP

sorry to hear with the drought an fencing probs that you sold your cows.but never let go of your dream.get your new fences built.an buy some more cows.

The older we get, the more and more we struggle with that decision as well. We've just recently gotten under 100 head, and that seems like beginning of the end to me. I'd like to get down to 50 or less, but to me that seems like a "hobby".. not that I've made a living with 100 head!

Either way, it's a tough road to hoe. I can easily see how you are relieved.. and I'm sure WAY less stress, so there is a silver lining to the cloud! I think all of us have to rethink our dreams, and the reality of actually getting there, often, or you'll just be tired and frustrated.

Best of luck to you.. no matter what you decide to do!

"Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
-- Saint Augustine

Sometimes it's time to throw in the towel. It don't mean you can't get it back. It just means it was in the cards just then. 35 years is a long time to chase a dream. Are you sure you never rode the rainbow during that time?

I'm sorry for your present trials.

Thew good thing about starting over at 80 is you'll have less time to make mistakes. And 80 isn;t too old to do anything that you are still physically able to do. May take longer, but who keeps score?
Neighbor lady is in her late 80s and still runs 2 herds mostly by herself. She just got her degree from the U of MO.

The older we get, the more and more we struggle with that decision as well.
Bull lady, how true those word. I too am making changes am not useless yet but, getting less useful.
We are going to be full time cattle in just a few weeks. I do not know how many it will take to pay the expenses. My goal 30 year ago was 100 head of mothers I have passed that number. At that time most everyone around here was making a living with that number.

This whole situation reminds me of Brett Favre. But he's not 80.

Walt

First, IMHO electric fences were never meant to keep cattle in. They were meant to assist a normal fence in keeping cattle in.

I do feel for you and wish you the best.

I am in the (slow) process of getting all of my perimeter fences in with field fence. Once the perimeter fences are done, if they get out of a pasture at least they aren't in a road or on someone else's place. I have a couple cross fences I will eventually replace with field fence also.

One or two broken stands of barbed wire is an invitation for a cow to escape.

flaboy":1mdb8055 said:
First, IMHO electric fences were never meant to keep cattle in. They were meant to assist a normal fence in keeping cattle in.

I do feel for you and wish you the best.

I am in the (slow) process of getting all of my perimeter fences in with field fence. Once the perimeter fences are done, if they get out of a pasture at least they aren't in a road or on someone else's place. I have a couple cross fences I will eventually replace with field fence also.

One or two broken stands of barbed wire is an invitation for a cow to escape.

This along with the pulling the bull thread just illustrates that there is no "one size fits all" solutions. Except around a small sick/calving pasture, all we have his hotwire. The main fields are all divided by temp hotwire as needed. We have no problems with it even when the power is off for a day or so.

We use hotwire too. When done right, it is the most effective fence known. You don't have to worry about them leaning, scratching, or wallowing on it. Like dun said, you can even leave it off for a few days and don't have to worry.

our milk cows could smell the fence to tell if it was on or off.an if it was off they would break it an get out.

Sad to hear that you have sold your herd. Know how hard the "decision" is to make, we're still in the talking stage but know that with hay prices up along with my age it won't be long. We culled real hard last year and sold all the heifer calves and have my eye on some more this summer.
Retirement sounds better all the time....still have the hens.
Dave Mc

Thank you for all of your kind words. The good news is, this is the best crop of calves we have ever had. I guess it is better to go out on a somewhat positive note. I am not completely giving up the dream, maybe just regrouping. I love cows and nothing will change that.

Latest posts