The Breeds Board Subheading

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
The subheading for the breeds board says "Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favourite breed". This may or may not have been done here before, but I am going to challenge you all to do exactly that.

It is easy discussing the advantages of your chosen breed, and that is done here often enough. But I want you to be brave and also discuss the DISADVANTAGES of your chosen breed.

So here goes:

Murray Greys

Advantages - easy fleshing ability (do good on grass), milky mothers, quiet and steady temperament, cattle that perform in the show ring, paddock and feedlot
Disadvantages - some in the breed are chasing big frame in the last few years, resulting in big, hard keeping cows with poor topline and hind leg structure (we have steered clear of these, fingers crossed), even though I put temperament in the advantages, I also sometimes find it a disadvantage, as they can be very 'sooky' cattle and that sometimes makes them hard to work. I also find when I show them they are 'piggy' animals with heavy heads and they tend to push all over you. Dont sell as well as blacks at the sale yard.

Angora goats

Advantages - more efficient fibre producers than cashmere goats and most sheep, so much easier on fences than other goats, easy going temperament, intelligent, act like cattle rather than like sheep, so pretty to look at, ready market for fleece with high demand low supply, ability to survive and thrive in the challenging Australian conditions, ability to thrive on weeds while also clearing an overgrown paddock
Disadvantages - heavy cutters requiring crutching and wigging twice a year = four shearings, heavy cutters being prone to grass seeds in eyes and flystrike around pizzles, pink skin leading to sunburn, cancer eye, lack of industry incentive to encourage young people and new farmers to take advantage of the supply-demand dynamics, sensitivity to cold/wet after shearing, kids prone to cold (intensive kidding required), showring not in focus with the needs of the commercial producer

Boer goats

Advantages - so much more meaty than feral and crossbred goats, act like cattle and usually intelligent, kids more thrifty and hardy than angoras, good temperament, ready market which gives much better returns than the angoras, high demand low supply industry
Disadvantages - much harder on my fences than the angoras, more teat and feet problems than the angoras, lack of industry support for young people, showring not in focus with the needs of the commercial producer

Angus-Good milking, fleshing ability, capacity, marbling, easy to feed and grade, fertility, easy calving. They are very salable, heifers bred to Angus bulls are an easy sell as they should be easy calving, carcass program seek the black hides, right, wrong, or indifferent, because typically there's Angus there which will marble.

Disadvantages-Wasty, not excessively but not usually a yield grade 1 either. Lack muscle-far too many 10-12 inch ribeyes out there and slab sided feedlot steers, also too large of mature size-obviously depends where you're at, what you breed for, etc. but there are a lot of big Angus cattle out there that aren't nearly as efficient as the 1200 pound cow we'd like to think we have.

I think one thing that speaks for Angus is how they are promoted by the other breeds, Hereford for baldy, Char for smokey, Lim-Angus, Sim-Angus, etc. I think the bottom line is though every breed has its strengths and weaknesses and Angus happens to be one that makes a cross, if running straightbred Angus, you may be leaving some longevity, better traits, and money on the table.

I raise Texas Longhorns.

Advantages:
Versatility within the breed - you can go many different directions with your herd: beef, horn, show, rodeo, pasture ornaments, riding steers, etc...
Longevity, durability, adaptability, disease resistance, not much worry about predators (b/c of the horns), great mothering ability, fertility, make a good cross with most breeds, great youth program (check out http://www.AutobahnYouthTour.com )

Disadvantages:
As one prominent breeder/breed advisor said "The Texas Longhorn industry is made up of non-cattle people raising a breed they love." This does have some advantages, but in the long run I believe it to be a disadvantage because of the lack of knowledge of these breeders. Not all breeders are this way, but a whole bunch of them are.
Others: general lack of muscle (some of us are working on that though), generally thought of as "wild" when the opposite is true, horns (bad for packing house), lack of uniformity, color can be a disadvantage when selling, longer time to finish, harder to put on fat, turmoil within the breed

I think there are a lot of advantages that the Texas Longhorn has to offer to the beef industry, however the majority of Texas Longhorn breeders do not think of Texas Longhorns as beef animals, moreso as exotic animals that should be judged based on their Horn development and Color only. I see ads in breed publications and comments in sales catalogs that say such and such animals has "Horn, Color and Confirmation" (what are they saying the animals confirms?) or "Horn, Color, and Conformation" and the animal has OBVIOUS phenotypic faults. Quality Texas Longhorns can be found in many breeders' herds, I just think the promotion of them has been lacking, and that is a major disadvantage to the Texas Longhorn industry.

Ryan

I will give this a try. I think one of the biggest advantages of Fullblood Limousin is there flexabilty as terminal sires, I think the fullblood limi will cross on more breeds of cattle with good results than most terminal sires. They almost always improve red meat yeld and feed efficence. Fullblood Limis are extremely feed efficent.Fullblood limi cows make good mothers ours calves outside in the pastures and do a good job of it. We do not get extremly cold here but i have never lost a limi calf to cold weather.

Disadvantages Fullbloods have the reputation of being crazy. no milk, low growth and low marbling and big birth weights. Limousin was the first breed to have a doctilty epd and the Fullblood breeders have done a great job adressing doctilty. We have also addressed the milk problem, there is still some low milking cows out there but not many anymore.We have also addressed growth and birth weights we have good growth and low birth weights to match any breed going. We have also done alot of work on polled genetics, we now have homo polled fullblood cattle. We have made alot of major improvements to Fullblood Limis. With the rising cost of feed and fertlize feed efficent cattle are gaining in value ever day.

Nice to see people step up a little :clap: :clap: :clap:

I feel there is just so much difference within breeds.I like to see lines of cattle more than breeds,then you have a tool you can use.Just thinking most seedstock is so outcrossed it has little perdictibility.

Other than selecting a breed for climate and forage conditions the genetics are there for you to breed all the desired qualities one desires in any breed. If you are willing to put out the effort.

Keren-

Excellent Post! It seems that sometimes the eagerness that some breeders have for "getting their 2 cents in" overwhelms the purpose of the post itself. These answers that have been submitted to this post are some of the most carefully thought-out that I have read since I have been contributing here.

Good for you. Thank you.

DOC HARRIS

whatsupdoc3":p855ocl7 said:
DOC HARRIS":p855ocl7 said:
Keren-

Excellent Post! It seems that sometimes the eagerness that some breeders have for "getting their 2 cents in" overwhelms the purpose of the post itself. These answers that have been submitted to this post are some of the most carefully thought-out that I have read since I have been contributing here.

Good for you. Thank you.

DOC HARRIS

One would have to assume the irish blacks have no faults since doc did not elaborate on his breed of choice. :idea:

Feel free to post your breed as well as some pictures of your best :compute:

DOC HARRIS":2zv07y3t said:
It seems that sometimes the eagerness that some breeders have for "getting their 2 cents in" overwhelms the purpose of the post itself.

Are you rippin on me Doc :)

Sorry if my eagerness overwhelms the post. :banana:

Chis

Advantages:
Great cross with Angus, Maine, etc.
More pounds at weaning and yearling
Greater dress %
No major breed wide stuctural flaws
Generally easy calving and good mammas
longetivity
yummy!

Disadvatages:
Not particularly mellow attitudes
Not enough hair
Don't do as well in extreme temperatures
Lower quality grades
Could milk more
Not very popular

I'd like to add a disadvantage to mine for the goats: in general they are not percieved well by people ie. jumping, fences, feral, horns etc.

And for the angoras hard to sell for meat, abbs dont like them because the fleece causes extra issues.

Disclaimer: I'm a Hereford breeder and I approved this messsage!

American Herefords

Advantages

Docile temperament, efficiency, the hardiness to survive in less than ideal weather and forage conditions, aggressive breeding bulls, mothering ability, a unique recognizable color pattern.

A gene pool that's still diverse enough to find animals that will complement and add to traits of other lines within the breed.

Since black hided cattle now comprise the lion's share of the American cowherd, Herefords are able to provide an excellent source for heterosis and additional income for those cattle producers who choose to use Hereford bulls on their black cows.
http://hereford.org/_Hereford/Documents/0108_TheWhiteface.pdf

An association that recently is moving to become more competitive with Angus in their marketing efforts and also is encouraging its breeders to make the so-called elite genetics of the breed more available and affordable for all with new programs like the non-cert AI sire program.

Disadvantages

Stigma of the "old" Hereford faults– cancer eye, pinkeye, poor milking ability, bad udders – problems that have been greatly improved on in the modern Herefords of today but the reputation still exists.

Horns, scurs, red hide.

The legacy of split associations that were largely controlled by a few who ran them in their own collective self interests, rather than for the breed's interest as a whole, and leaders who failed to understand and/or adequately compete with the great marketing programs put out by the Angus breeders/association over the last 30 years – much of the reason the Hereford breed is now far back in second (or third) place and suffering real (or perceived) discounts being paid for red-hided animals at market. The Angus breeders/association collectively did a much better job of promoting and improving their breed/product.

High semen and high certificate prices where many of the elite bulls of the Hereford breed are still not cost effective for a majority of breeders to use.

I am not always articulate when trying to report studies etc. but I'll give it a shot, here is what I have learned so far in dealing with my breed of choice.

Piedmontese
These cattle are hardy in both cold and warm climates due to their black skin pigmentation and white hair coat. Different lines within the breed can give you a moderate to large framed animal depending on your preferences. Most well known for their lean, tender and juicy meat. With being finer boned and having the natural occuring double copy Myostatin gene comparatively you will get a higher carcass yield. With continued emphasis on health this breed has a place to play in the beef industry as a portion of Piedmontese beef is comparative to chicken or salmon in calorie and cholestrol. They are normally easy going but like every breed you will find a wing nut or two. They are good mommas but some have been known to be aggressive protectors. I expect the same is true in any breed.
Being a newer breed to North America some breeders concentrated more on increasing numbers rather than paying attention to culling out bulls that should have been cut and calving became an issue for some. I think this has mostly been worked out. It is hard to dispel old perceptions tho. The heifers seem to be slower to mature and you will have better results to allow them to mature nearer to that 2 year mark to breed. You will get more calves on the other end of the spectrum with fewer calving issues. Which comes to calving, these cattle will have trouble if you feed too high protein in their last trimester, you need to pay attention to their nutrition. Most are easy doing and if you get them too fat you will have trouble.
They have enjoyed good success as terminal sires, giving you more beef on that carcass. I will tell you that the best beef I have eaten came from a Piedmontese Shorthorn cross. Fantastic.
Hereford.US made the statement "Legacy of split associations........" and the same nearly word for word could be used for the Piedmontese associations. These situations are never good for any breed. Progress has been made and currently EPDs are being developed and will soon be available.

EAT BEEF":1rc0ifp4 said:
DOC HARRIS":1rc0ifp4 said:
It seems that sometimes the eagerness that some breeders have for "getting their 2 cents in" overwhelms the purpose of the post itself.

Are you rippin on me Doc :)

Sorry if my eagerness overwhelms the post. :banana:
EAT BEEF-

No - no - ABSOLUTELY not! I am rippin' on NO one. Just an observation. I don't do "sub-liminal" accusations.

DOC HARRIS

Beefmasters:

I'd first like to state that I, too, agree that all breeds serve some purpose and have benefits. Further, all of my statements will be regarding the breed in general. I understand that every Beefmaster isn't going to be a good one. I will speak of the breed on average.

Advantages: Beefmasters are very hardy. I find more good looking Beefmaster cattle thriving in rough country, hot and humid weather, and short grass. Beefmaster cows are above average milkers. It is especially noticable when grass is short or low quality, yet the calf never stops growing. Beefmasters are selected based on fertility. They'll breed on time as yearlings, calve as two-year olds, and breed back well to give you years of production. Their disposition is unsurpassed. It's not about having a pet. However, with today's market and prices, adding medical bills to your expenses can easily throw you in the red. Beefmasters gain well and efficiently, making them have good yields...."conformation - type on the hook, not the hoof". Beefmasters are also able to hang a heavy carcass that fits the market's demand. And, that carcass begins with a low birthweight calf. A cattleman doesn't need large framed cows having large calves to do it. The natural thickness and muscling in the breed provides good weight.

Disadvantages: Purebred Beefmastes will have some bull calves with too much sheath. This reduces the number of bulls a producer should market. Some bull calves have to be (or surely ought to be) disqualified at birth for their sheath. Beefmasters come in several colors. This can be harmful when selling calves through the salebarn. Buyers look for any reason to discount an animal. Don't expect a premium if the calf isn't black. There are black foundation Beefmaster cattle, but they are very few. Also, the black color usually is not dominant in foundation Beefmaster cattle. Some Beefmasters will have more slope from hooks to pins. Some buyers discount this, relating it to Brahman influence. Some see that as an advantage to calving ease. I'm not up on the studies. I prefer a more level animal from hooks to pins. I don't think there is much of a problem with calving Beefmasters and as stated, more buyers seem to like animals who are level in their rear quarter. Beefmasters seem to be known to hang a greater percentage of select carcasses and less choice.

I try to take the positive from everything though. A 700 lb bull calf that is not breeding stock because of his sheath sure makes a nice steer at the sale barn. The premium for an "eared" heifer can easily offset any discount on a steer. That is, if the steers heavy weaning weights didn't already offset any discount. What I really love is that birthweights don't have to be sacrificed in order to gain the performance of a Continental breed bull. Yes, I'm stating firmly that I am a proud Beefmaster breeder. They're working well for me.

EC

Latest posts