The Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
The Brown Heifer was the one born from uncle's wild crazy big udder cow that about went too long without colostrum in the heat. The black heifer with it is the twin heifer from the heifer set where dam took one and left one. The Black Bull in the kennel is the purebred calf from Glamous whom died having him. Anyway thought I share pics of them and let you know they're doing well. Pics taken after rain so they aren't too cute.

Good luck with the bottle calves. We are raising one right now that was a twin that the mom rejected after accepting her brother. Challenging but can be fun at times. (BTW At NO time would I ever WANT to have a bottle calf, but when I do I try to make the most out of them.)

Thanks you all! Can't help but name bottle calves with all the hands on feeding and so forth. So I'm calling them "Purina" the Brown Heifer, "Little M" the Twin Heifer, and "Big Boy" the bull.
-Never thought Purina was much better feed, mineral, or product than others. But that Purina Milk replacer really made that calf take off. It must be good.
-Little M named after my baby niece McKenzie because she just enjoys watching it run and its little.
-Big Boy just because he's big and a boy.
Here's Big Boy being tempted to come play in the yard.

Thinking on just going ahead and selling them as bottle calves but haven't fully decided.

They are looking good. With the advancements in feed for calves I've seen many bucket calves that didn't look like one.

FlyingLSimmentals":2kmrg7sx said:
Thanks you all! Can't help but name bottle calves with all the hands on feeding and so forth. So I'm calling them "Purina" the Brown Heifer, "Little M" the Twin Heifer, and "Big Boy" the bull.
-Never thought Purina was much better feed, mineral, or product than others. But that Purina Milk replacer really made that calf take off. It must be good.
-Little M named after my baby niece McKenzie because she just enjoys watching it run and its little.
-Big Boy just because he's big and a boy.
Here's Big Boy being tempted to come play in the yard.

Thinking on just going ahead and selling them as bottle calves but haven't fully decided.

Nope. Already named them, posting adorable pics, 4-H kids got theirs months ago. McKenzie would be devastated. Congrats on your new permanent orphans! My orphan/subsequent bottle calves have turned out to be some of my best mamas and always easy to work. As for Big Boy? My BFF has an 8 year old steer, Norm, that's pretty much nothing more than yard art & a giant pet.

No, I'm not getting that attached. Probably will put out a ad or two a few locations. Don't want to take a gamble of them not doing ok at the auction barn I don't think. May end up feeding them on up though to feeders. McKenzie isn't quite old enough yet to get devastated. That and her momma don't let her out much. Actually think Dave will miss them the most. He got use to them spending time together inside out of the heat and sharing his kennel with them. Big Boy takes the bottle and Dave licks the slobber. He also tries to clean up other stuff and that's when he gets in trouble. I'll try and keep thread updated on what we've done with them.
I'll say Little M is my favorite. She's a fun little athletic hungry head nudging go getter.

Latest posts