The Black Widow incident

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
On Friday while waiting for a man to come look at some horses I was strolling under the front porch and noticed a black widow female in a nest in the corner. I knocked it off and squashed it. As I strolled down the porch I kept finding them, 9 in total in a 5 minute period. All large females. On Monday my wife calls and tells me she killed 2 more on the porch. 10 minutes later she calls back crying. My two year old son wanted his ball cap off his hat rack in his room, when she picked it up to put it on his head a BW crawled out of it! She packed up and left. A good friend of mine is an exterminator so I called him up and had him over right away. Last night after he left I went around the house with a stick and a flashlight and squashed 35 more females that were either dead or dying from the spray. My wife found 2 more today. Thankfully there was only the one in the house. If I don't get this under controll I'm gonna be living in the new house by myself.

Glad your kid is ok. They prefer dark and dry places. Boots, hats, corners. Look for messy looking webs and the eggs sack. Most don't know the brown widow is just as bad but instead of a smooth eggs sack has a eggs sack the same size but is spiked
Good news is that regular spraying is effective.
I used to play with them as a kid in az :shock:
them and scorpions.

I sure hope the People for the Ethical Treatment of Spiders don't come down on you ISO.

I have been searching for a more humane way than to stomp them the way I do. :D

Yes, I'd want to get that under control. Could you not relocate them like they want us to do snakes rather than killing them?

A handy thing to have around the house is one of those sprayers that hooks to the waterhose and you can set the dilution rate on the dial. With this you can really keep a lot of insects and things from around your house with a once a year treatment. I'll plead the 5th on the rates I use but suffice it to say a licensed bug guy isn't using the same.

Hook, those scorpions are harder to kill. Since they don't clean themselves the spray won't have any effect unless you hit them with it.

Isomade":1adwt6oe said:
On Friday while waiting for a man to come look at some horses I was strolling under the front porch and noticed a black widow female in a nest in the corner. I knocked it off and squashed it. As I strolled down the porch I kept finding them, 9 in total in a 5 minute period. All large females. On Monday my wife calls and tells me she killed 2 more on the porch. 10 minutes later she calls back crying. My two year old son wanted his ball cap off his hat rack in his room, when she picked it up to put it on his head a BW crawled out of it! She packed up and left. A good friend of mine is an exterminator so I called him up and had him over right away. Last night after he left I went around the house with a stick and a flashlight and squashed 35 more females that were either dead or dying from the spray. My wife found 2 more today. Thankfully there was only the one in the house. If I don't get this under controll I'm gonna be living in the new house by myself.

Spray with WP Demon and your problem's will go away grasshopper.

Widow spiders are real bad here too . You can't leave anything on the ground for long or they move in .

ousoonerfan22":3uz3w2n1 said:
Iso,
I've never seen that many black widows in my whole life!

I have thought this over , I think the Mrs. bought them and scattered them around.
New house, land, and cattle only downside is Isom. Take him out become the most eligible Widow in the county.

slick4591":kefzn40a said:
Hook, those scorpions are harder to kill. Since they don't clean themselves the spray won't have any effect unless you hit them with it.

Diatomaceous Earth will get rid of scorpions in a hurry. I buy it by the 50 lb bag from the feed store and spread it regularly.

good luck with getting this under control quickly....
sort of like a guvment housing project....
build nice new quarters and no telling what kind of neighbors will move in.

at the poor farm it is and always has been snakes....copperhead are the ones we worry about but have a new eight foot long black sanke haning around now. found a new skin in the yard over the weekend and holding the tip of the tail over my head the front was still on the ground. I saw the front half of him about two weeks ago but could not tell how much I didn't see till I found this skin. I am trying to leave him alone following the conventional wisdom that he will keep the copperheads away....personally I think this theory is a load of bull crap. We have enough black widows and brown recluse that I alwasy look at everything before touching or wearing. Stuck my toe in a boot the other day and had a wasp nest. took it off pretty quick.

my wife got a brown recluse bite a few years ago. almost lost her leg. has been healed and quiet for about two years. just broke open and started draining nasty stuff again. Dr. Yesterday put her on the antibiotic that finally stopped it last time....we are hopeful.

pdfangus":1bxp2ykf said:
good luck with getting this under control quickly....
sort of like a guvment housing project....
build nice new quarters and no telling what kind of neighbors will move in.

at the poor farm it is and always has been snakes....copperhead are the ones we worry about but have a new eight foot long black sanke haning around now. found a new skin in the yard over the weekend and holding the tip of the tail over my head the front was still on the ground. I saw the front half of him about two weeks ago but could not tell how much I didn't see till I found this skin. I am trying to leave him alone following the conventional wisdom that he will keep the copperheads away....personally I think this theory is a load of bull crap. We have enough black widows and brown recluse that I alwasy look at everything before touching or wearing. Stuck my toe in a boot the other day and had a wasp nest. took it off pretty quick.

my wife got a brown recluse bite a few years ago. almost lost her leg. has been healed and quiet for about two years. just broke open and started draining nasty stuff again. Dr. Yesterday put her on the antibiotic that finally stopped it last time....we are hopeful.

I have issue's with spider's got bit by a brown recluse as a kid thought my arm was going to rot off.
Throw a spider on me I will scream like a school girl and run like a pee waddling dog.
Now when I get through crying and cleaned up some one is going to get hurt.

backhoeboogie":1u8u5b50 said:
slick4591":1u8u5b50 said:

Diatomaceous Earth will get rid of scorpions in a hurry. I buy it by the 50 lb bag from the feed store and spread it regularly.

Thanks! I have plenty of DE, just never thought it would phase them.

Latest posts