The Best Way of Growing Out Dairy Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys sell your unwanted dairy bulls/steers. I usually send any bull calves on the truck when they are a week or so old. We have Jersey cattle so the average price for a bobby calf is $5.00 /hd if we're lucky. So I'm looking into different ways of selling the calves.

I'd post them on something like craiglist. If you give 'em colostrum and they can take 'em off the farm you have nothing invested in trucking and the buyers aren't getting babies that have had no colostrum/vaccines, been drug through every disease known to man, and die once they get home. Make it pay for good up-front care and you might find plenty of takers. There's nothing worse to me than trying to help people who have bought sale-barn calves just to watch them die.

redcowsrule33":3oqps9mi said:
I'd post them on something like craiglist. If you give 'em colostrum and they can take 'em off the farm you have nothing invested in trucking and the buyers aren't getting babies that have had no colostrum/vaccines, been drug through every disease known to man, and die once they get home. Make it pay for good up-front care and you might find plenty of takers. There's nothing worse to me than trying to help people who have bought sale-barn calves just to watch them die.

As worthless as they are now giving them away would probably be your best bet. Let them suck their mom til mom's milk is ready for the bulk tank (2-3 days) and then call your calf raising friends.

Well there is truth to both responses.

But ,,,if you have a really healthy herd in a clean environment ,and ensure that your boys get treated the same as your girls, ie max amount of colostrum,iodining the naval etc..
You may have so many clients that you will have to send them away.
Dairy bull calves are a dime a dozen but healthy calves given the best start in life are not.
I would try getting the word out and let everyone know what your health protocols are, once they start raising your calves and they stay healthy you will have repeat customers and word of mouth customers as well.

Thanks for the ideas we rear our bulls the same way as our heifers with the only exception with the bulls being reared on a calfiteria I am planning on bringing the bulls home & rearing them myself for 6 -8 weeks before reselling either via the saleyards or by private sales. I have also been tossing around the idea of rearing 10 or 12 steers until 14-15 mths than selling.

I just sold 2 holstins last tue.at the stock yard. They weighted 500lbs. each sold for $250.00 each.
I will not be raising any more dairy calves.This was in middle Tenn.

Mat
I know what you are talking about we sold a Jersey bull 4yr old through the saleyards & only got $100 for him. Late last year we sold another Jersey bull that was starting to get snorty we sold him this time over the hooks & got almst $500 & he was a 3yr old & not in as good condition as the first. In Australia saleyard buyers only need the slightest excuse to knock a Jersey. That is why I'm looking for ideas on ways to sell excess bull calves

Latest posts