The Best Horned Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Question for all the hereford folk out there. I need some help finding some new blood for our herd. Need to find a breeder that matches the following criteria in their cow herd:

They have to be able to run on grass till January and just swath graze, calve on their own in May(so be able to rought it). Want pigmented eyes, big red nuts, good feet, good bags, good mothers, longevity and performance. Small to moderate framed cows that can wien a calf that is 55% - 60% of her bodyweight. Preferably dark red but not necessary. Gotta have good hair! No horses, bad feet, bag bags, bad eyes. Gotta have some depth and natural muscle. Preferably like to find an outfit that doesnt creep feed their calves or feed their bulls much barley or corn. Like to find someone who has alot of full brothers or 3/4 brothers on offer.

So far I'm having trouble finding a breeder who can match all my criteria, any help is some help.

BIZIN":34wo5dc9 said:
Question for all the hereford folk out there. I need some help finding some new blood for our herd. Need to find a breeder that matches the following criteria in their cow herd:

They have to be able to run on grass till January and just swath graze, calve on their own in May(so be able to rought it). Want pigmented eyes, big red nuts, good feet, good bags, good mothers, longevity and performance. Small to moderate framed cows that can wien a calf that is 55% - 60% of her bodyweight. Preferably dark red but not necessary. Gotta have good hair! No horses, bad feet, bag bags, bad eyes. Gotta have some depth and natural muscle. Preferably like to find an outfit that doesnt creep feed their calves or feed their bulls much barley or corn. Like to find someone who has alot of full brothers or 3/4 brothers on offer.

So far I'm having trouble finding a breeder who can match all my criteria, any help is some help.
no doubt,,

If you find one that meets all your criteria let me know. The few guys I know running cattle like that wouldn't have a huge number of 3/4 and higher percentage brothers. Maybe more like half a dozen. I don't know if they are still in business but I was up at Doug and Keith Casey place a few years back- we used genetics out of there about 20 years ago and they run them right - no BS cattle there, and the genetics we aquired did us as good as anything... in fact I AI bred some back to that old bull this spring. Another guy with the right philosophy would be Greenore Herefords... I was up there this summer and saw some of his bulls out with his customers black cows that looked auwfull good - yearling bulls that were putting on condition while breeding hard. He'll baby his bulls a little to market them at medicine hat but both nothing like most of those guys up there do. The cows on both those places have to work harder than most up there, especially at Casey's. Both of those places would be a good place to go and look - you might not find the pigment as strong as your criteria and maybe the cattle would be titch bigger than you describe, but they are working just the way you describe. How many purebred outfits can you go to and see cows licking snow all winter for water. I'm going up into sask sometime this fall yet, are there any places you would recomend to stop and visit? There are a few places I've always wanted to go visit. I've always heard lanni bristow has good honest herefords... do you know anything about that place or maybe Bannerman or La Clare. I wish I could recommend a breeder down here that fit those specs - there are a few further south that run them right, but most of those guys aren't selecting for "good hair" as probably you and I would. Good luck.

I've always thought the purebred business was ass backwards. In my mind genetics should be tested in the toughest conditions, similair to your description, not in artificial environments! How can you say you know anything about an animal that has never seen a hard day.

'76...dad and I have been out of the purebred business for too long now. Dont know who has good hereford cattle anymore. Last bulls we bought were from Dunn's and the last cows I bought were from Eggen's. I'm told that Misty Valley Farms is one hell of an operation when it comes to tough cows, thats one place I'm gonna check out this fall. We have good hereford cattle, but they arent registered and we need new blood to keep them going. Hays Herefords at Pipestone Manitoba I am told have good cattle. They were going dark red and having small medium framed cattle when everyone was going bigger and bigger and yellower and they havent changed with the trends. I dont know Lanni Bristow, but dad does. Dad used to manage the Saskatchewan Bull Test Station (what used to be the Hereford Center) @ Regina, but we left there in the mid 90's to start our own feedlot and cattle buying business and stopped registering our cows after a time, so it seems all the good breeders who we used to know have sold out or converted to Angus. I bought 50 hereford heifers last spring and bred them and buying another 50 this spring so I need bulls that are full and high percentage brothers so I dont gotta run seperate pastures. Just getting sick of all these breeders who keep getting bigger and bigger. We bought a bull out of AB 2 years ago and put him in the feedlot after he didnt breed a damn thing. He has been there ever since and doesnt gain worth a darn on full feed. Its sad really

He's too modest to say it himself but we have a member on here who lives 60 miles from me. He goes by Ned Jr. He's got the real deal when it comes to Horned Herefords./

I take back any info I gave you long ago to promote Misty Valley cattle. After visiting their place this spring, I was unimpressed. Too much leg under the cattle and not enough guts. I will not be buying another bull from them again. Heifer pen was also a disappointment. Some really good heifers, but many plain stock worth average commercial price, not purebred price. Lots of bulls that should have been cut. My top, and basically only pick of their pen, turned out to be the high seller the next day. Good bull, but not worth the price tag. Very impressed with Bill Creech cattle north of Lloydminster. Would fit your bill fairly close. Very reasonable price as well. :cowboy:

F-R Herefords at Hussar,Alberta that 5P bull that is working so good at bill's is a half brother to my Lad bull at Genex. I liked 20p's dam a bit nbetter than 5P's. They graze out all winter most years. Tough buying a bull there some years-Douglas Lake pits in pretty hard. They are hands down the most practical purebred breeders I've run across got a few hundred pretty decent Angus cows too.

Well I have bought alot of Douglas Lake cows for ourselves and for a neighbour, and if thats what you get with Creech bulls then I'll stay away. Not very impressive. They are ranch cows, and they are hard cows, but they have bad feet, bad bags and come in open more times then they get bred.

Anyone know anything about Pawlitza's?

3waycross... whats the name of Ned Jr's outfit?

Don't mean to be disrespectful Northern Rancher, just stating my opinion based on what I have seen. I am open minded and I will definately take a look at any cattle suggested to me before bringing down the gavel.

Turn north off number one highway towards Hussar and go to Fraser's if you want to look at sound cattle. Creech's probably bought 5P to fix some of those problems. His mother was perfect footed and uddered all those cattle that go back to 8020 seem to be.

Don't know enough about them to comment-I get all our Hereford cattle at Fraser's and most of our Angus bulls too-no real need to go look elsewhere any more.

3waycross":3b9s0jj5 said:
He's too modest to say it himself but we have a member on here who lives 60 miles from me. He goes by Ned Jr. He's got the real deal when it comes to Horned Herefords./

3Way ain't kidding. BIZIN, the place is called Coleman Herefords. I been trying to get a little red, white, and horn into the herd. Maybe I'm tired of black and polled. ;-) But I would not even think of getting Hereford cattle from but 2 places, and Coleman is one. The other is Pharo Cattle Company. I don't care what goes around about those cattle, but they fit your criteria really well. Their sale is this November, and they'll have bulls available.

This what you are looking for?
001.jpg

Latest posts