The 4H Prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
And here are the guys we are considering for 4H this year. They are all big good calves, but which one should it be......? Would love to hear any comments on these guys....

#7, he just wouldn't stand well for pictures.
tn_DSC06575.jpg

tn_DSC06573.jpg

tn_DSC06569.jpg

#66, he posed a lot better
tn_DSC06574.jpg

tn_DSC06572.jpg

tn_DSC06570.jpg

tn_DSC06568.jpg

#9, the only decent picture I got of him
tn_DSC06557.jpg

tn_DSC06494.jpg

tn_DSC06497.jpg

#66 has the best balance and structure, my top pick by a long shot

#7 would have been my pick if I was sure his shoulders are sound and his topline will hold the extra weight of being pushed hard, he'll finish very well and is well muscled and I like his overall substance and bone.

#9 's hip is too short with a little too much slope for the showring

#91 is very long bodied, but lacks the overall balance and style for the showring, he'll also become heavier fronted with more waste in the brisket than the others

Thank you Knersie, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

I was kinda leaning towards 66 lately, but 7 also caught some attention. 7 is fairly fine boned for the size he is.

I think either #66 or #7. I was in 4-H for years and have seen quite a few that resemble the last two. My question is, what are the genetic make-up of #66 and #7. Do you want a show winner or a money-maker. Granted a show winner can be both of these things, but is not a guarantee. I think #7 is going to be a lardo, but he isn't going to have the lines that #66 is going to have. But in the end, it all comes down to who is going to convert pricey feed most efficiently. Also, I don't want to rule out #7 as a show-winner. Market steers are just that. Majority of 4-H judges don't care about confirmation in their market cattle as they know where they will be at in a couple of days. :cowboy:

Aaron":1r2w6ksn said:
I think either #66 or #7. I was in 4-H for years and have seen quite a few that resemble the last two. My question is, what are the genetic make-up of #66 and #7. Do you want a show winner or a money-maker. Granted a show winner can be both of these things, but is not a guarantee. I think #7 is going to be a lardo, but he isn't going to have the lines that #66 is going to have. But in the end, it all comes down to who is going to convert pricey feed most efficiently. Also, I don't want to rule out #7 as a show-winner. Market steers are just that. Majority of 4-H judges don't care about confirmation in their market cattle as they know where they will be at in a couple of days. :cowboy:

Thanks, Aaron

They are both sired by the same hereford bull. Both cows are Red Angus cross. #66 i probably shorthorn and #7 is possibly Gelbveih or Simmental.

I also like #7 and #66. But I think #7 will finish at a lighter weight than #66 will. Each could be winners but in different weight classes. But for the one that could be overall championn I think I also would pick #66. JMO