The ‘chickenization’ of beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":3jznb2dv said:
JBS owns five river feeders which has how many thousands of cattle on feed. The Packers and Stockyards act makes it illegal for a packer with more than one processing plant to own cattle for than 7 days (might be 5 days) before they are killed. But those in charge of enforcing the law aren't doing anything. With all those cattle on feed it is pretty easy for JBS to get out of the cash market for a week or so. Or even just lower their offer price because they can just kill their own cattle if their low offers are turned down.

Exactly

Cross-7":1j5rzj05 said:
Dave":1j5rzj05 said:
JBS owns five river feeders which has how many thousands of cattle on feed. The Packers and Stockyards act makes it illegal for a packer with more than one processing plant to own cattle for than 7 days (might be 5 days) before they are killed. But those in charge of enforcing the law aren't doing anything. With all those cattle on feed it is pretty easy for JBS to get out of the cash market for a week or so. Or even just lower their offer price because they can just kill their own cattle if their low offers are turned down.

Exactly

Isn't JBS a company out of Brazil?

True Grit Farms":2i9taego said:
Cross-7":2i9taego said:
Dave":2i9taego said:

Exactly

Isn't JBS a company out of Brazil?

http://jbssa.com/about/

JBS not only owns the packing plants and feedlots here in the USA which is illegal they are so blatant about that they say they do on their website. You would think that someone at the USDA could figure that out.

TexasBred":ylmo5l6g said:
backhoeboogie":ylmo5l6g said:
I am talking about trade and market regulations. Regulations that promote the US beef industry. Regulations that favor US beef over South America beef or any foreign beef.

You still have consumers flocking to walmart taking their little powered carts down the middle of the aisle and stocking up on foreign products of all kinds. Manufacturing jobs are gone so the consumers cannot afford quality.

Until people start buying American made everything, south America beef is just a drop in the bucket. A big bucket too.
I'll betcha 90% of the buyers don't give a flip where the meat or anything else comes from. Price and availability are all that matters to them. They pick up a T-Bone and look at it most are simply looking for price....not point of origin or quality. And in a few days that unsold t-bone may be over in the next cooler being sold as hamburger.

Exactly. They're in walmart in the first place.

This is not a USA problem but a world one. these three companies are multi national so control the world trade.

Single farmers, even large groups of farmers in any 1 country have no power at the moment.

A single futures trader on the futures market can decide the economic fate of the industry!

Cross-7":1oxl231z said:
Dave":1oxl231z said:

Exactly

And after this conversation yesterday I checked the mail and there was a letter from the NCBA want me to join. Should I send them money? Should I return their forms with no money but a letter expressing my opinion on them pressuring for the enforcement of the Packers and Stockyards Act? Should I just round file it?

Latest posts