The ‘chickenization’ of beef

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider":3d4u85gu said:
Margonme":3d4u85gu said:
A component of the US cattle industry that needs a broad based market to prosper is the cattle show enterprise.  A lot of money is spent on cattle showmanship.   It attracts those who don't produce beef but who want their children involved in a safe vocation that builds good work ethics and home grown values.

If you follow the PB cattle sales, you know that a lion's share of the heifers with show traits and show potential are the ones selling for 4 and 8 K.  That market has lots of tiers.  It includes markets for show equipment, trailers, semen sales, show feeds,  supplies, etc.  The show business is just as vital as the commercial feeder sales.  It promotes cattle.   It contributes to the economics of the beef industry.

Reverting to local beef markets ignores the components of the cattle industry that make up its diversity and generates cash flow.  If the cattle industry degrades into "niche" markets selling local beef, I think the cattle show industry will suffer. To continue to support a diverse broad based cattle industry in the US, global markets are essential.

Also, what is not being factored into the  local unregulated market comments is the producer who runs 300 plus cows.  Bigger producers need more than local markets.  They prosper best when the US is exporting beef.  To maintain the kind of beef industry we have today, we need to advocate for everyone in the industry not just small producers.

I am not an advocate for demoting the US cattle industry into local "Ma and pa" operations.  The industry is too big.  It supports everything from Sullivan Supply and makers of cattle clippers to John Deere farm machinery.  We need global markets and we need a President and Congress that advocate for the beef industry.  We need trade agreements and other incentives to promote our industry.  If that involves regulations, let it be.  I don't see this as a conservative versus liberal issue.  I see it as an issue of SURVIVAL for  the US cattle industry.
I think you are missing my point. Regulations (I know this is your feathered bed) have ravaged Ma & Pa.

No one is saying end the big game, but you can bet your bottom dollar "they" are working to kill the little guy.

The show business?? Are you kidding me?

HD:

Do you get out much? Yes, the show cattle business is huge. Lots of money. Lots of big spenders. Regardless of what people perceive as the "real" market, business is business. And the cattle show business is big business. The entire pyramid is huge. It is one of the means to advertising.

Dave":318wdnan said:
pdfangus":318wdnan said:
Dave":318wdnan said:
Somehow we need to get the government to enforce the Packers and Stockyards act. The NCBA certainly isn't going to do this. So how do we get it done? Writing to our elected officials? It seems that every environmental group in the country is able to sue the federal government for not enforcing the ESA or clean water. Why can't cattlemen sue to get them to enforce laws which are on the books on the packers?

because you are less than 1 percent of the population and no politician gives a crap about less than 1 per cent of anything....
We can get you all the beef you need from south america now....JBS will see to that.
beef is just a commodity now...like pork or chicken ...for mainstream america...

those who can afford it are still enjoying the quality of their choice either thru farm direct purchases or through premium eateries....

I have no desire to support NCBA or RCALF...or the BEEF BOARD as none of them are doing any good and most have gotten into the washington lobby bed with all the other crooks. Follow the money and you will run into a liar trying to divert the money to his supporter of the day....

I agree we are less than 1 percent. I also agree that NCBA and RCALF are not going to take on USDA and JBS. But there are some environmental groups that are way less than 1 percent of the population who sue the federal government for not doing their job. And they win or at least make the government stand up and pay attention. The government even pays their lawyer bills. Heck, the government changes how they do business just at the threat of being sued. Why can't we?

Dave,

how do you propose that we pay the lawyers to file suit on our behalf....NCBA and RCALF and the Beef Board were supposed to do that and they have taken the money and run....

environmental groups have dedicated fund raising people and projects that operate 365 days a year....in my job I get their begging solicitations every day. And some of them do a lot of good work....but they are mega million dollar operations...

HDRider":3kumo5vy said:
Margonme":3kumo5vy said:
A component of the US cattle industry that needs a broad based market to prosper is the cattle show enterprise.  A lot of money is spent on cattle showmanship.   It attracts those who don't produce beef but who want their children involved in a safe vocation that builds good work ethics and home grown values.

If you follow the PB cattle sales, you know that a lion's share of the heifers with show traits and show potential are the ones selling for 4 and 8 K.  That market has lots of tiers.  It includes markets for show equipment, trailers, semen sales, show feeds,  supplies, etc.  The show business is just as vital as the commercial feeder sales.  It promotes cattle.   It contributes to the economics of the beef industry.

Reverting to local beef markets ignores the components of the cattle industry that make up its diversity and generates cash flow.  If the cattle industry degrades into "niche" markets selling local beef, I think the cattle show industry will suffer. To continue to support a diverse broad based cattle industry in the US, global markets are essential.

Also, what is not being factored into the  local unregulated market comments is the producer who runs 300 plus cows.  Bigger producers need more than local markets.  They prosper best when the US is exporting beef.  To maintain the kind of beef industry we have today, we need to advocate for everyone in the industry not just small producers.

I am not an advocate for demoting the US cattle industry into local "Ma and pa" operations.  The industry is too big.  It supports everything from Sullivan Supply and makers of cattle clippers to John Deere farm machinery.  We need global markets and we need a President and Congress that advocate for the beef industry.  We need trade agreements and other incentives to promote our industry.  If that involves regulations, let it be.  I don't see this as a conservative versus liberal issue.  I see it as an issue of SURVIVAL for  the US cattle industry.
I think you are missing my point. Regulations (I know this is your feathered bed) have ravaged Ma & Pa.

No one is saying end the big game, but you can bet your bottom dollar "they" are working to kill the little guy.

HD,
I am talking about trade and market regulations. Regulations that promote the US beef industry. Regulations that favor US beef over South America beef or any foreign beef.

I am talking about trade and market regulations. Regulations that promote the US beef industry. Regulations that favor US beef over South America beef or any foreign beef.

You still have consumers flocking to walmart taking their little powered carts down the middle of the aisle and stocking up on foreign products of all kinds. Manufacturing jobs are gone so the consumers cannot afford quality.

Until people start buying American made everything, south America beef is just a drop in the bucket. A big bucket too.

backhoeboogie":1fd5y052 said:

You still have consumers flocking to walmart taking their little powered carts down the middle of the aisle and stocking up on foreign products of all kinds. Manufacturing jobs are gone so the consumers cannot afford quality.

Until people start buying American made everything, south America beef is just a drop in the bucket. A big bucket too.

Very true.

Margonme":trtuiv44 said:
HDRider":trtuiv44 said:
Margonme":trtuiv44 said:

HD:

Do you get out much? Yes, the show cattle business is huge. Lots of money. Lots of big spenders. Regardless of what people perceive as the "real" market, business is business. And the cattle show business is big business. The entire pyramid is huge. It is one of the means to advertising.

Your drinking the kool aid now Ron. Very few people show cattle on a regular basis, everyone eats beef and uses beef by products daily. I call that playing with your food and that's wrong. My dad use to beat my tail for playing with my food and not cleaning my plate.

backhoeboogie":215t9gi5 said:

I'll betcha 90% of the buyers don't give a flip where the meat or anything else comes from. Price and availability are all that matters to them. They pick up a T-Bone and look at it most are simply looking for price....not point of origin or quality. And in a few days that unsold t-bone may be over in the next cooler being sold as hamburger.

True Grit Farms":hzzr01gk said:
Margonme":hzzr01gk said:
HDRider":hzzr01gk said:

HD:

Your drinking the kool aid now Ron. Very few people show cattle on a regular basis, everyone eats beef and uses beef by products daily. I call that playing with your food and that's wrong. My dad use to beat my tail for playing with my food and not cleaning my plate.

It is a component of the cattle industry regardless of its merits. Some people put lawn ornaments in their yards. Has no function other than esthetics. But it is a multi-billion dollar business.

Those people playing with their food generate a lot of cash flow.

TexasBred":2mgdi5jr said:
backhoeboogie":2mgdi5jr said:

I'll betcha 90% of the buyers don't give a flip where the meat or anything else comes from. Price and availability are all that matters to them. They pick up a T-Bone and look at it most are simply looking for price....not point of origin or quality. And in a few days that unsold t-bone may be over in the next cooler being sold as hamburger.

Right or wrong the E coli out breaks always occur in hamburger? And the majority of beef we import into this country is used in hamburger. So to me the ground work is already layed for promoting US raised beef and the need for COOL. But the $money behind NCBA is the importers, so we're screwed as far as representation of US beef goes.
KEEP YOUR FAMILY HEALTHY EAT ONLY USA RAISED BEEF

True Grit Farms":2oudp4j0 said:
TexasBred":2oudp4j0 said:
backhoeboogie":2oudp4j0 said:

Right or wrong the E coli out breaks always occur in hamburger? And the majority of beef we import into this country is used in hamburger. So to me the ground work is already layed for promoting US raised beef and the need for COOL. But the $money behind NCBA is the importers, so we're screwed as far as representation of US beef goes.
KEEP YOUR FAMILY HEALTHY EAT ONLY USA RAISED BEEF

The US has lost its economic greatness. Every community in this country has watched markets disappear. Markets are like gigantic asteroids, the direction they travel is uncontrollable. I hope the direction the cattle industry follows is favorable to current producers and the future is one of excitement and good fortune.

He points out that the "meat cartel" – JBS, Tyson Foods, Cargill and National Beef – controls 85% of the market place.

"Those packers are working to suppress free competition in the industry which is lowering prices below what a competitive market would dictate," Bullard says. - Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA) CEO Bill Bullard

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/news/indus ... ren-videos

HDRider":3hpywp8l said:
He points out that the "meat cartel" – JBS, Tyson Foods, Cargill and National Beef – controls 85% of the market place.

"Those packers are working to suppress free competition in the industry which is lowering prices below what a competitive market would dictate," Bullard says. - Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA) CEO Bill Bullard

Note this excerpt:

Lahren answers saying consumer beef is coming from cattle, "transported in crates for God only knows how long. Animal lovers, that means live cattle are smashed into shipping containers, and shipped into this country to be slaughtered for a discount rate."

This is a major inaccuracy and it appears Lahren doesn't understand the nuances of the global beef market after speaking with Bullard.

Margonme":yegd0ggu said:
HDRider":yegd0ggu said:

Note this excerpt:

Lahren answers saying consumer beef is coming from cattle, "transported in crates for God only knows how long. Animal lovers, that means live cattle are smashed into shipping containers, and shipped into this country to be slaughtered for a discount rate."

This is a major inaccuracy and it appears Lahren doesn't understand the nuances of the global beef market after speaking with Bullard.
She is Tomi Lahren, a television host for the cable network TheBlaze. TV folks might not be experts on beef.

1*hxdn7WVkpqhtvsF6Y3Sh7Q.jpeg

TexasBred":38kxh4jj said:
backhoeboogie":38kxh4jj said:

Spot on brother

JBS owns five river feeders which has how many thousands of cattle on feed. The Packers and Stockyards act makes it illegal for a packer with more than one processing plant to own cattle for than 7 days (might be 5 days) before they are killed. But those in charge of enforcing the law aren't doing anything. With all those cattle on feed it is pretty easy for JBS to get out of the cash market for a week or so. Or even just lower their offer price because they can just kill their own cattle if their low offers are turned down.

Latest posts