That's a big tater

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
A more official weigh-in at a local farming store put Doug at 7.8 kilograms. The Guinness World Records entry for the heaviest potato is a 2011 monster from Britain that weighed in at just under 5 kilograms.

1636116429502.png

@greybeard I did not take that picture

I planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and pulled out a few 3+ pounders.. I got a lot of beautiful ones. I learned though, you have to cure so they'll be sweet. And yes, i tested that out. We tried one right out of the garden and it tasted like a regular potato with the sweet potato texture.. SO, i have them curing. Will dig in the garden once the vines are gone to see if i have any more. I had a good harvest but, i want to plant them somewhere that wont take up my whole garden. Looking at some hay feeding areas i might can keep cows out while they grow..

I planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and pulled out a few 3+ pounders.. I got a lot of beautiful ones. I learned though, you have to cure so they'll be sweet. And yes, i tested that out. We tried one right out of the garden and it tasted like a regular potato with the sweet potato texture.. SO, i have them curing. Will dig in the garden once the vines are gone to see if i have any more. I had a good harvest but, i want to plant them somewhere that wont take up my whole garden. Looking at some hay feeding areas i might can keep cows out while they grow..
Harvest before a freeze kills the vines. I saw an early freeze ruin a field near Canton in the late 1990's when we had an early freeze. Taters rotted in field before they could get them out.

Harvest before a freeze kills the vines. I saw an early freeze ruin a field near Canton in the late 1990's when we had an early freeze. Taters rotted in field before they could get them out.
Its been a learning experience. I want to can them. But, while chatting in a garden group on FB, someone said i had to cure. Regular potatoes i pull up, spray the skins off immediately with a water hose and then chop and dry-can. So so easy. But found i cant do that with sweet potatoes. ugh.. But, i may can with the skin with these potatoes. I have long root shaped sweet potatoes, planning on slicing and dry canning.. We had a frost today, not a freeze, so i'll go dig around and see if i missed any. I also ate the vines.. taste pretty good. I also ate the okra leaves.. good also. And i ate my brussell sprout leaves, the big ones.. they never made brussles, but i sure like eating the leaves..... Learning more this garden season than i ever have.

Its been a learning experience. I want to can them. But, while chatting in a garden group on FB, someone said i had to cure. Regular potatoes i pull up, spray the skins off immediately with a water hose and then chop and dry-can. So so easy. But found i cant do that with sweet potatoes. ugh.. But, i may can with the skin with these potatoes. I have long root shaped sweet potatoes, planning on slicing and dry canning.. We had a frost today, not a freeze, so i'll go dig around and see if i missed any. I also ate the vines.. taste pretty good. I also ate the okra leaves.. good also. And i ate my brussell sprout leaves, the big ones.. they never made brussles, but i sure like eating the leaves..... Learning more this garden season than i ever have.
We used to have a lot of growers of sweet potatoes here. Sadly, they all got old and quit. A 40 lb box of sweet potatoes brings about the same as it did when I moved here in 1992. The growers here all dug the sweet potatoes and stored in a barn (curing) before washing, grading and shipping. Do that and can latter and you will like your sweet potatoes better.

Latest posts