That Was..... Interesting

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I'm sitting here wondering which of my family members moved my 10 million candle spot light and what sort of punishment they deserve for doing that.
Now the big questions. Where is it? And.
What was behind my house killing one of my birds?

I just got done unloading my shot gun. A 3 battery Mag light just doesn't cut it in this type of situation.
Let the dogs out for a quick pee and noticed everything was completely quiet. Barn cats were not making a sound and were crowded around the front door.
Then I heard something squawking in the coulee behind the house. Dogs went completely nuts barking. I ran inside loaded the shot gun and went to grab my spot light. It was not where I leave it, by the front door. Grabbed the Mag light instead and ran back out. Bird is still squawking, dogs are barking and I can not see anything.

Now I just have to wait til it is light to find out what bird is missing. I do believe it might be a goose, because of the noise it was making and the fact that my geese were very quiet during all of this. If it did take a goose I need to find out what it is because I have a couple of really nasty chinese cross geese. Anything that would take those 2 on is not small.

Many years ago I heard something in the chickens.Grabbed the gun and joined the dog in the yard. He was barking and snarling into the dark so I told him to get'em. He stood by my side looking up at me like U crazy!!
We went back in the house..Next morning I found where whatever pulled the feathers off and ate the chicken.
Had to have been some kind of big cat.. The dog was a big tough English bull cross who would take on anything
except that whatever it was.
Hope you get new batteries and maybe a couple of more good lights,ain't nothing like standing there in the dark with something crunching bone just over there.

WELL!? You been out to see what's left of whatever? Can you take photos so we can see the evidence?

A turkey is missing. there are feathers all over the place. No idea of what took it.
I saw 2 badgers on the road yesterday, a wolverine 4 days ago and we have coyotes all over the place. Had a fox den south of us this year too. Also have mountain lions and bob cats come through too.

Wow! Sorry about the turkey--sounds like a cat of some kind--fox is a bit small to take a turkey away,if cyotes,your cats would have taken off- badger,maybe ..but the body was gone,so big bobcat hungry mountin lion kitten.. ?

When ever I lose a bird Peg all I ever find are the feathers. No body anywhere.

Still looking for the spot light.

Look for something else--then you'll trip over the light---at least that's how it works for me :lol2: You be careful out there..

sorry you lost a turkey.hope you find the spotlight.itll make nite hunting alot easier.

peg4x4":2igdfswf said:
Wow! Sorry about the turkey--sounds like a cat of some kind--fox is a bit small to take a turkey away,if cyotes,your cats would have taken off- badger,maybe ..but the body was gone,so big bobcat hungry mountin lion kitten.. ?

Nah nah nah, I think a wolverine would be the culprit to take something like that down. It's been a while, but I read somewhere that a wolverine is strong and brave enough to take down a full-size deer. So it'd be nothing for it to take down a turkey.

Quote from my book "NASFG to North American Mammals":

Very powerful for its size, the ferocious Wolverine is capable of driving even a bear or Mountain Lion from its kill. It eats anything it can find, including Moose or Elk slowed down in heavy snow, beavers, deer, Porcupines, birds, and squirrels, as well as eggs, roots, and berries...

Karin I had to look it up on the internet to even know what we saw.
From a distance it looked a bit like a coon until we got closer and realized that what we were seeing was no coon. Too big.
This one was a dark chocolate color all over and since it was moving away from us we couldn't see if it had any of the light color fur on it.

peg4x4":362244n2 said:
Doesn't take a very big bobcat to take a turkey I have had them drag off day old calves before

a 30lb cat can drag twice its weight pretty easy and I would say the bobcats in Montana are quite a bit bigger than that at least the ones in New mexico and colorado are

every thing has been weaned off and is haveing to look for it's own food. They're not very good hunters yet,so anything will do.. My friend back home has lost her cat-it doesn't look good for him. I'm not there to tell if the coyotes are howeling on the hill,but they did come down the RR track and catch crickets under the street lights this time of the year-so a fat house cat would be welcome..He was about 8 years old,had slowed down a bit.

The surest way we have for finding something is to buy another one. That usually makes the missing item appear. :p

mnmt that grizz is back up in the mountains and I hope he stays there.

Dieselbeef I know to stay away from those things.

Turkey wasn't the only thing taken. One of the barn cats disappeared that night too. She left behind a super nice kitten I have taken to calling Fearless. She is about 6 weeks old.
Was up with a fencing crew putting up the new corral panels and we could hear this kitten meowing. Looked around and there was the kitten at the feet of our Churchill bull rubbing up against him and trying to climb his leg looking for food. crazy bull was sniffing and licking this kitten. :shock:
ran in there and got her out before she got stepped on. Took her to where the other barn cats were and she didn't go to any one of them nor them to her.
She is pretty happy being in the house right now with lots of food. I'd love to keep her, but we already have 4 cats. Going to try to find her a home.

Bobcats seem to have a thing about turkeys. Here in MN as the wild turkey population has exploded so has the bobcat population. Bobcats are known to follow the turkey flocks, and rely on turkeys for their main food supply, and have little trouble with full grown toms. Go up in the trees at night, knock down a turkey and kill it on the ground. More common probably is sneaking up catlike and attacking in tall grass while the turkey feeds.

Latest posts