That one hurt.

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Lost a cow and calf this week. It haunts me for a couple reasons. For one, it might have been prevented if I had been called at work sooner. Probably not the calf, but might have saved the cow. For two, the cow was only 7 and a real sweetheart. One of the ones who comes up to see what you are doing and if you might have a cube on ya. Delivered twins unassisted before, and raised them both. When we were wrestling with her to get her snubbed up for the vet, she never head butted or offered to kick. Calf was butt first, hind legs forward under the belly, wedged in. Vet couldn't reposition the calf so did a C-section. Calf was dead for hours, cow died the next day. I'm sick for humane reasons, not to mention the price of a pair. Some days it sucks to own cows.

ETA: That's her in my avatar photo as a calf.

I'm sorry to hear that, and it does always seem to happen to the best ones. Kind of like with dogs. The good ones always seem to go to the road and get run over, or something, but the sorry good - for - nothing ones will stay around 'til they die of old age.

So sorry to read your story. I know it's hard enough to lose the young ones you like, even when they don't like you so much, really tough when it's a favorite and it must have been hard for her.

Sorry you had to go thru that experience. It's never easy to lose one. I lost a heifer and calf last week and because I feel like I could have done more for her it's bothered me a lot. Sounds like you did all you could. Allow it to strengthen your resolve for the future. Good luck going forward.

Sorry for your loss. It does always seem to happen to the good ones and the favorites. Many folks say don't get attached and it won't bother you as much, but that's hard sometimes with how sweet and nice some of them are. What I found to help me the most after losing one is to start favoring another and give it or them more attention. Anyway I've been there before. Hopefully the rest of the year will be smooth flowing for you.

Sad story. So very sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose a cow and calf, especially one that you are close to.

MO_cows":scxvlb4p said:
Lost a cow and calf this week. It haunts me for a couple reasons. For one, it might have been prevented if I had been called at work sooner. Probably not the calf, but might have saved the cow. For two, the cow was only 7 and a real sweetheart. One of the ones who comes up to see what you are doing and if you might have a cube on ya. Delivered twins unassisted before, and raised them both. When we were wrestling with her to get her snubbed up for the vet, she never head butted or offered to kick. Calf was butt first, hind legs forward under the belly, wedged in. Vet couldn't reposition the calf so did a C-section. Calf was dead for hours, cow died the next day. I'm sick for humane reasons, not to mention the price of a pair. Some days it sucks to own cows.

ETA: That's her in my avatar photo as a calf.
Yes, i agree-unfortunately, "some days it sucks to own cows". I'm so sorry for your loss. At times like this, with circumstances beyond my control, my solace comes from remembering the good experiences had with a pet, aka; the times that didn't suck. :mrgreen: Since you quote Laura Ingalls Wilder, here's another quote from her: "The true way to live is to enjoy every moment as it passes, and surely it is in the everyday things around us that the beauty of life lies."

Latest posts