Thanksgiving work.

Help Support CattleToday:

i had 4 going on 2 days ago .. each about the size of a double wide.. got most of it burnt up.

i'm glad we can do all we can for these cold temps. trying to heat this earth up!

Kids burned a big one last week. It was really close to the squatters cabin and the land across the road is 600 acres of 3 foot tall sage grass. It burned nice and slow for 3 days.

Sun was out here an hour ago but it has already clouded over again now. I had to lower the water level in my giant in-ground rain gage yesterday after we came back from East Texas Thursday night and am going to have to do it again this morning. The pool leaf skimmers don't work very well when the water is an inch above the top of the skimmer boxes. Gonna wish I had that water back next summer.
1st world problems they call that.

I had a couple old rotten cotton wood trees fall over. I piled them up and added some brush over the summer. The first snow was only about an inch but I figured that was enough to keep it from spreading. A little diesel and gas to get it started. The pile was gone before the snow melted that afternoon.

I had some gold fish in our stock tank, but something must have fished them all out, they were no long in there when I looked this morning.

We have the D@#ned blue herons fishing ours out... Especially in the summer when the springs are running slow and it takes longer for them to refill if all the cows come to drink in a group. Which ours do... they tend to make a certain "trip" around the pasture and go to drink in a group around 10-11 and stay in the trees for a few hours, then go out to graze again... going down to drink again 6-8 p.m. Then they seem to stay out and graze most of the night. I had to scoop out the fish one time because the water was so low and I was having to haul water to the troughs up by the barn to supplement the spring. Had a bear tear up the float in one trough at a pasture and noticed all the big goldfish were gone... few small young ones darting around. Think it may have been doing some fishing as well as being destructive.

When we unroll, we run it right to the furthest we can... and the cows tend to want to roll them around some too... We make them clean it up too.....unless it is moldy or something crappy....

Latest posts