Thanks

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the prayers and well wishes. For putting up with my constant fixation on rain. For being here to let me vent. I am happy to report that yesterday, although a sad day for many for other reasons, started out as a really humid and muggy day. It had tried to sprinkle off an on all morning but about 1:30 pm it began to rain. Got a 7/10ths inch in about a half hour and the sun came out. It was a nice rain. I was away from the computer and didn't know that all those thunderstorms that had been bouncing around the state for the last few days were finally getting their act together and start dancing around Texas like a real two-stepper instead of hopping around doing their own thing.

Well it started raining again and by 4 pm we had 2.25 inches and more rain came. I went to bed about 10:30 and it was still raining lightly. Checked the gauge this morning and we totaled 3.75 inches yesterday. A while ago I went to log it and was surprised to find that this is the 8th day we have gotten rain in the last 30 days. The first 5 were 3/10ts or less that really didn't do much in the August heat but add them to the 1 inch we got Wednesday, the 1/2 inch on Friday plus 3.75 Saturday, we've had 6.4 inches in the last 30 days. Yesterdays rain finally put some water in the ponds. I haven't been out to see how much but I'm sure it will put an end to the pond clean outs for a while. Even as I write this it is beginning to drizzle lightly.

I'm not declaring and end to the drought, to early to do that but for the short term it looks good. Thanks again, to everyone.

RAINY_1.gif
Oh Chrisy, do you have a smiley dancin in the rain? We aren't apt to run away from it just yet. :p

beerbuddies10.gif
Here's to the weather you need.

I'd say it is a good chance he got some this week.

This is the weekly precipitation map for this week.
sat.gif

I have to say we are seeing a different side to Vette that we haven't seen in a long long time..

Welcome back .. :welcome: :tiphat: :banana:

It is amazing how a little bit of hope can change ones world.. :)

Looks like I'm going to have to try to find my rubber boots. Hope they haven't dry rotted. Another 1.8 inches overnight for a 7 day total of 7.7 inches....1/3 of the rainfall we have gotten for the year in a week. Looks like a drought buster for sure if we happen to get normal rainfall for the rest of the year. For what it is worth, we could even end up making the average rainfall for the year if this keeps up.

Are the tanks filling up?? This is just what we needed,a little tame hurricane!!! :welcome: :welcome: :clap:

peg4x4":aj4nhqaw said:
Are the tanks filling up?? This is just what we needed,a little tame hurricane!!! :welcome: :welcome: :clap:
That is what the radar looks like doesn't it. Moving nice and slow. Friday's rain put about 4 - 5 ft of water in the tanks. Haven't been out to look what last nights rain did. Should have done about the same.

Saw it on the radar and thought about you. Glad you are getting a good dose. See!, I told you spitting on the sun would work. ;-) :lol:

congrats on the rain. really good news after the summer you went through. I was horified looking at some of those pictures you postes of what you were going through. Now all you have to do is keep your head above the water. :)

1982vett":jikhlb5e said:
Looks like I'm going to have to try to find my rubber boots. Hope they haven't dry rotted. Another 1.8 inches overnight for a 7 day total of 7.7 inches....1/3 of the rainfall we have gotten for the year in a week. Looks like a drought buster for sure if we happen to get normal rainfall for the rest of the year. For what it is worth, we could even end up making the average rainfall for the year if this keeps up.

He(( with the rubber boots.I'm gonna roll up my britches legs and get out there in the field and just let the wonderfull mud ease up between my toes. :lol2: :lol2:
Second thought,I rekon I'll have to since I done wore out my boots doin that rain dance. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Jogeephus":b2nfd4hy said:
Saw it on the radar and thought about you. Glad you are getting a good dose. See!, I told you spitting on the sun would work. ;-) :lol:
:lol: Dam Jo, that was 6 months ago. :roll:

Calman":39okod83 said:
He(( with the rubber boots.I'm gonna roll up my britches legs and get out there in the field and just let the wonderfull mud ease up between my toes. :lol2: :lol2:
Second thought,I rekon I'll have to since I done wore out my boots doin that rain dance. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Buddy of mine said water was running about a foot deep in a ditch by his house. He said he was tempted to strip down and just lay in it.

1982vett":10r5luk4 said:
Jogeephus":10r5luk4 said:
:lol: Dam Jo, that was 6 months ago. :roll:

Well it rained didn't it!? What more do you want a bannanna with a zipper on it?

Just think what would have happened had ya not done it. ;-)

hillsdown":pjq0endv said:
Vette when you are done with it send it here, we haven't had any moisture again for almost a month.
HD, I'm all for sharing it but it is leaving, headed eastward. Not sure how to get it to head northwest. Maybe jogee can give us a pointer on how to get it up their to you. :secret: But don't expect instant results. Took 6 months for his spell to work for me. Don't tell him I said that, he just might have it reversed. :secret:....... :) After almost 8 inches a little sunshine will be nice but now we have to wonder if rain will come again. Not very trusting yet, but we are going to act like it is back to normal till we are proved wrong. It is beginning to look like the 3rd Springtime for this year the way the grass is greening up again. I've heard rainfall totals that ranged from around 2 1/2 all the way to almost 10 inches all in a 30 mile circle. What made our rain so good is it didn't just dump and run, it rain slowly for several hours at a time in between the down pours. Even this afternoon we had a winter time type drizzle. Didn't even show up on radar but it did it for about 2 hours. (How about that, all the rain the radar showed in the last two years that never found it's way to the ground and today nothing shows up and it is raining.) Just didn't feel right being 72 degrees, 40 - 45 would have been more fitting. I'm OK with the 72 degrees. Need to grow some pasture right quick. Days sure are getting short between daybreak and dusk.

HD, I'm hoping your get some rain soon too. Sorry to have to say not to depend on mine cause it hasn't been to reliable lately. But here is hoping anyway. :nod:

It is still raining on and off here. Every day since Thursday. I love the rain but maybe not all at once. It will be back in the ninties this time next week. This is that time of year that tricks some folks into believing it's fall. Summer is gonna be here a while longer. Love the cooler temps now, though.

Lammie":dpl5amlg said:
It is still raining on and off here. Every day since Thursday. I love the rain but maybe not all at once. It will be back in the ninties this time next week. This is that time of year that tricks some folks into believing it's fall. Summer is gonna be here a while longer. Love the cooler temps now, though.
Thank goodness for still having the warm temps. Now that we have had a little rain maybe the grass will grow enough to stop the hay for a while. Those that have had to sell off some cattle may even get some stockpiled forageif the warm weather holds out. A lot of the grass has died but the seed bank in the ground is sprouting. The bermuda is greening up quick. It is amazing at how fast the pastures are recovering.
Sure hope it helps the price of cattle at the sale barn.

Latest posts