Thanks for sharing! You all saved my calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
People sharing experience on this forum helped me this week. I bought a couple of calves last week. The next day, I noticed one had a persistent cough and both were drooling, sticking their tongues out a lot and acting lethargic. From this forum, I realized signs of a respiratory infection that needed to be addressed quickly. On Monday, I hauled them to the vet. I told him the symptoms. He said I caught it early because they weren't running a high fever. Each one got a coarse of Vira Shield 6 + somnus and one of Micotil 300. By Thursday, the coughing had stopped and they were up and grazing like nothing was wrong. Thanks to all of you experienced people who share with those of us who are trying to learn.

People sharing experience on this forum helped me this week. I bought a couple of calves last week. The next day, I noticed one had a persistent cough and both were drooling, sticking their tongues out a lot and acting lethargic. From this forum, I realized signs of a respiratory infection that needed to be addressed quickly. On Monday, I hauled them to the vet. I told him the symptoms. He said I caught it early because they weren't running a high fever. Each one got a coarse of Vira Shield 6 + somnus and one of Micotil 300. By Thursday, the coughing had stopped and they were up and grazing like nothing was wrong. Thanks to all of you experienced people who share with those of us who are trying to learn.
That's Great! Glad you caught it early.

Just a friendly reminder; Micotil is a good product, used to use a lot of it when I was younger. Before I had kids and inexperienced help.

MICOTIL 300 IS FATAL TO HUMANS There are better safer products. Advocin ( used to be called A180) is a very similar antibiotic with our the dangers.

That's Great! Glad you caught it early.

Just a friendly reminder; Micotil is a good product, used to use a lot of it when I was younger. Before I had kids and inexperienced help.

MICOTIL 300 IS FATAL TO HUMANS There are better safer products. Advocin ( used to be called A180) is a very similar antibiotic with our the dangers.
That's a good heads up for everyone who does their own vaccinations. I read the warnings about Micotil 300 but, since it was the vet administering the vaccination, I was sure he knew what he was doing.

That's a good heads up for everyone who does their own vaccinations. I read the warnings about Micotil 300 but, since it was the vet administering the vaccination, I was sure he knew what he was doing.
Around the time I quit using Micotil. A fresh out of vet school small animal vet, that had joined a mixed practice. Accidentally killed herself. She hadn't been feeling well and gave herself a dose of antibiotics.
My vets used to have to special order Micotil for me. Every time I needed some I got a lecture and an update on the latest accidental death.