Thanks / Dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

ptb

Reaction score
Are calf, holstien bull, when we first recieved him had nomonia,
head tilt etc. through all your opions helped us get him the help
we needed. First we got his nomonia under control. Then we got his Ear infection healed. Solved his head tilt. Now he's a happy camper and has free run of our small pasture. Its just a hobby
farm to us, but the calf is in some ways to us a nice Christmas
present. We greatly enjoy watching him run all around us, its
like he's doing it to please us.

Now he's starting to grow horns, what can you reccommend to
stop this? Can we buy something to apply or does a vet need to do it.

try pastin em. or wait and clip or burn. no easy way to do any of this though. yer bummin if ya dont like horny animals!!!

:lol: hahahahahahahhaha! thats funny i dont care who ya are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depends how big they are. If they're little nubbins you can put dehorning paste on or use an electric dehorner, if they're a little larger (2-4 month old calf) the electric dehorner will still work or you can chop the horns off. Any larger than that and they have to be chopped off.

I had a half-dozen or so calves with horns like this...
calf50horns_121306.jpg

that I had taken off at the vet clinic 2 weeks ago. I didn't have to have the vet do it -- but he's better about getting everything so the horns don't grow back (mine come back sometimes :p), and I don't have facilities to take the horns off at home (no chute). Besides, $4/hd for chopping the horns off, pulling veins, and cauterizing the area seems a pretty good deal to me for a couple calves.

me too. cept fer haulin em but it is a messing job and not for the faint hearted. 2 strong people usually to get it done easily. stinky burnin em.