Thanks Canada

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
While I was looking for a recipe for Muktuk, I ran across the Northern Cookbook published by the Canadian Gov't in 1967. I am thrilled to finally find a good source for some of the hard to find recipes. Again, thanks.

Ie.

BAKED SKUNK

Clean, skin, wash. Bake in oven with salt and pepper. Tastes like rabbit (no smell). Skunk fat very good for whooping cough.

OVEN ROASTED LYNX

Wash and clean the hind legs of the lynx and roast it in a roaster with lard and a little water.

BOILED SMOKED BEAVER

Smoke the beaver for a day or so. Then cut up the meat and boil it with salted water until it is done.

MUKTUK (meat inside skin and fat of whale)

After taken from whale leave 2 days hanging up to dry. Cut into pieces 6" X 6". Have water ready to boil. Cook until tender with fork. Keep in oil in a 45 gal. drum after cooked, in a cool place, in order to have muktuk all year.

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/household.htm

That's good to know, Jo. They had lynx legs on sale at the IGA this morning, but I didn't know how to cook them so I passed.

By the way, I'm up to my ears in Muktuk, but all I can find around here are 55 gal. drums. Think that would be OK in lieu of 45 Gal? That stuff"s pretty pricey around here so I don't want to ruin it.

The Wild Life Association of Great Britain have just introduced Beavers back into Britain, after being extinct here for about 300 - 400 years. Wonder if they'd mind if go take a few....might make good eating. :lol:

chrisy":22buntrb said:
The Wild Life Association of Great Britain have just introduced Beavers back into Britain, after being extinct here for about 300 - 400 years. Wonder if they'd mind if go take a few....might make good eating. :lol:
A large male escaped recently, and has not as yet been re-captured, he might be a good contender for the pot!!

kenny thomas":99o2gtvf said:
Jogee, has it rained so much that there are whales in Georgia now?

The northern right whale calves on our coast each year. Of course the penalty of possession of one of these culinary delights is quite severe. Probably worse than black rhino steaks. I think it would make a stay at Gitmo seem like a walk in the park. But if you've ever had Muktuk then you'd agree some risks are just worth taking. :lol2: Besides, its organic.

Latest posts