Thanks Bob Barker

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Bob Barker has donated 1 million dollars to UVA (University of Virginia) law school for the purpose of starting an 'animal law' program. For students to study and possibly pursue a career in animal rights law. The same has also been donated to Harvard and Yale for the same purpose.

Any thoughts or comments?

Katherine

Sounds interesting....but it depends what type of people go into the program. It would be great if people went in and took careers in education, doing things like educating more people about animals and farming, creating spay/neuter programs and dealing with homeless animals. But, if they are going to be turning out a bunch of PETA freaks, I say scratch that idea.

LoveMoo11":f1r9ckxg said:
Sounds interesting....but it depends what type of people go into the program. It would be great if people went in and took careers in education, doing things like educating more people about animals and farming, creating spay/neuter programs and dealing with homeless animals.

I think that would be a good thing in the 'ideal' world. Unfortunately, I don't think that would be the agenda.

But, if they are going to be turning out a bunch of PETA freaks, I say scratch that idea.

I think this is a little closer to what Mr. Barker has in mind. From the brief report of this on the news this morning, is that Mr. Barker was 'prompted' to do this as a result of the Michael Vick (sp) incident involving dog-fighting, and that it was a good example of why animals rights need to be addressed and the animals need representation.

I was rather surprised, although I shouldn't be. I never thought the ban on horse slaughter would be passed....stupid me.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":3v0h567n said:
Pasture protien (BS) you can bet the nuts are lining up to enroll as soon as they get finished with there Big Mac.

You could be right, the campus is surrounded by Wendy's, Hardee's, McD's, Burger King, Buffalo Wild Wings and a handful of vegetarian places, and many pizza places.

Katherine

And the Europeanization of North America continues..

Next they will pass a law where it is illegal for women to shave their arms and legs etc.

We do need laws but this is getting ridiculous ,animals ,and yes I love them too and try my very best to do all I can for them, but they are not people they are animals...

I would like to read the full article and exactly what his intent is for this "animal law" program..

People are not hard up enough yet, wait until 50-75 percent of the population is terrified about where their next meal is coming from, I guarantee no one will be thinking of the welfare of animals and horse slaughter will be implemented again.

Why didn't Bob use the money to set up more of those spay and neuter mobiles to do people pets for free.

hillsdown":3m91cihl said:
I would like to read the full article and exactly what his intent is for this "animal law" program..

I have not done any searches....yet...for more info on this, haven't had time.

The first place I would try for a search would be a site for UVA. The next place I would look would be one of the local small papers, The Daily Progress (see if there's anything there) or for the news station, TV would be Channel 29 News, and for one of the better radio stations WJMA (where I heard it this morning). There are probably other avenues to persue, but its getting to be the time of night where the brain starts to fade. :lol:

Katherine

Mom works at UVA, I'll have to ask her if we can get any kickbacks. My cows think they have the rights to some range cubes, but I thought different when I priced them.

Ya know this crap is getting more scary each day. Our country is going to be run by zealots and Hollywood! And even worse Hollywood Zealots who have more money than brains.

Biting the hand that feeds you. I have no use for Bob Barker. How many times has he "hammed up" that can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew on the Price Is Right ??? Very weird and ironic world we live in now. The last time we had an economy in this bad of shape (the 1930's), people were literally starving. How many of those people back then would have gone for a steak? You bet your #$$.

Since many seem to value an animal's life more than that of a person this seems all but inevitable. Vet's are now advertising that you should bring your pet in for a Risk Assessment Exam and are promoting Pet Insurance. Since animals cannot represent themselves someone needs to do it for them. Without an up to date Risk Assessment Exam on your pet this could possibly lead to charges of negligence. But then again, its only a million dollars in the hands of a government institution so I doubt the money will go very far.

Just wondering, but if the animal wins a lawsuit does the animal have to pay income taxes? Seems like it would. Only fair. So I guess they will be issued social security numbers shortly.

Jogeephus":3cl088yz said:
Since many seem to value an animal's life more than that of a person this seems all but inevitable. Vet's are now advertising that you should bring your pet in for a Risk Assessment Exam and are promoting Pet Insurance. Since animals cannot represent themselves someone needs to do it for them. Without an up to date Risk Assessment Exam on your pet this could possibly lead to charges of negligence. But then again, its only a million dollars in the hands of a government institution so I doubt the money will go very far.

Just wondering, but if the animal wins a lawsuit does the animal have to pay income taxes? Seems like it would. Only fair. So I guess they will be issued social security numbers shortly.

They are not pets any longer. They are "companion animals".The new breed of vetrinarians, particularly small animal, have joined the "marketing" fad it seems to me.

To my way of thinking, "marketing" means the same as "rip-off". Also called "con job."
Same with dentist. Dentist I had for years went marketing crazy. He even has a sideline going teaching other dentist how to do it. He calls it something like 'management training'.
I got a new dentist.

CKC1586":1gy94ees said:
Ya know this crap is getting more scary each day. Our country is going to be run by zealots and Hollywood! And even worse Hollywood Zealots who have more money than brains.

You're right. Here's more, I got from another board.

Obama 'Regulatory Czar' has Secret Animal-Rights Agenda, Says Consumer Group

Cass Sunstein supports outlawing hunting, phasing out meat eating, giving animals the right to file lawsuits; expert available for comment eliminating current practices such as … meat eating.

Washington, D.C. (Vocus/PRWEB ) January 15, 2009 -- The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom said today that Cass Sunstein, the Harvard University Law School professor tapped by President-elect Obama to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, has a secret aim to push a radical animal-rights agenda in the White House. Sunstein supports outlawing sport hunting, giving animals the legal right to file lawsuits, and using government regulations to phase out meat consumption.

In a 2007 speech at Harvard University, Sunstein argued in favor of entirely "eliminating current practices such as … meat eating." He also proposed: "We ought to ban hunting, I suggest, if there isn't a purpose other than sport and fun. That should be against the law. It's time now."

Sunstein wrote in his 2004 book "Animal Rights: Current Debates and New Directions" that "animals should be permitted to bring suit, with human beings as their representatives … Any animals that are entitled to bring suit would be represented by (human) counsel, who would owe guardian-like obligations and make decisions, subject to those obligations, on their clients' behalf."

The Center for Consumer Freedom's Director of Research, David Martosko, is available to discuss Cass Sunstein's likely impact on typical elements of American life that involve the use of animals. Sunstein's work could spell the end of animal agriculture, retail sales of meat and dairy foods, hunting and fishing, biomedical research, pet ownership, zoos and aquariums, traveling circuses, and countless other things Americans take for granted.

Mr. Martosko said: "Cass Sunstein owes Americans an honest appraisal of his animal rights agenda as America's top regulator. Americans don't realize that the next four years could be full of bizarre initiatives plucked from the wildest dreams of the animal-rights fringe. Think about every outrageous idea PETA and the Humane Society of the United States have ever had, and imagine them all having the force of federal law. This doesn't look good for hunters, ranchers, restaurateurs, biomedical researchers, or ordinary pet owners."

For an interview with Mr. Martosko about how Cass Sunstein's appointment will serve the radical animal rights movement's agenda in the White House, or for more information, contact Sarah Kapenstein at 202-463-7112.

### http://www.prweb.com/releases/Cass-Suns ... 868134.htm

Katherine

I think someone has wrote about the horse slaugher on this board before, and I do not think it had anything to do with a law not allowing, it but other things.. Second us liberials such as my self are pro choice, and I am sure there are cases where people think animals are people but that is not the normal. In my case pro choice means I get to pick the cut of beef, and gun control means I hit what I aim at....Ya'll sure get worked up over what ifs pretty easy.

cypressfarms":pk7c0i9j said:
Biting the hand that feeds you. I have no use for Bob Barker. How many times has he "hammed up" that can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew on the Price Is Right ???

I can't tell you how many times he did that. If he came on, I switched channels or turned it off. He was the first to make the list of folks I refuse to watch. The show was okay I guess, he wasn't.

cfpinz":2be07eau said:
Mom works at UVA, I'll have to ask her if we can get any kickbacks. My cows think they have the rights to some range cubes, but I thought different when I priced them.

:lol2: :lol2:

So, is this guy any good??

Former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack has been confirmed by the U.S. Senate to be the secretary of agriculture in the new Obama administration.

CKC1586":1ve4s8ry said:
So, is this guy any good??

Former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack has been confirmed by the U.S. Senate to be the secretary of agriculture in the new Obama administration.
He is a trial lawyer background and has no background in Agriculture. He was most likely picked because Iowa is the first primary, or caucaus -whatever that state holds. Another joke and payback from the Obama administration. And his pick for AG is a anti-constitutionalists, just as radical in that matter as Cass Sunstein.

Latest posts