TEXAS

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":21telcp3 said:
CB, why is the lieutant governor so important? Does he/she have more authority than other states? Indiana, and states bordering Indiana, elect a lieutenant governor only because it reduces the unenployment rate by 1.

In a nutshell. when the carpet baggers came into the south the Texas Legsilature in a rare moment of clarity stripped power from the Gov and gave it to the Lt Gov. That way when the yankees named the gov he did not have the power anymore. To give you a example of the Lt Gov's power here in Texas, lets say a bill was coming out that everyone liked. The Lt Gov can say I dont like the bill and you will not get the chance to vote on it, period.

houstoncutter":eh7mqv4x said:
john250":eh7mqv4x said:
CB, why is the lieutant governor so important? Does he/she have more authority than other states? Indiana, and states bordering Indiana, elect a lieutenant governor only because it reduces the unenployment rate by 1.

In a nutshell. when the carpet baggers came into the south the Texas Legsilature in a rare moment of clarity stripped power from the Gov and gave it to the Lt Gov. That way when the yankees named the gov he did not have the power anymore. To give you a example of the Lt Gov's power here in Texas, lets say a bill was coming out that everyone liked. The Lt Gov can say I dont like the bill and you will not get the chance to vote on it, period.

It also makes both parties have to really work together for the benefit of the state.
The Lt Gov is president of the senate. If they are of opposing parties they have to really work together
to get a bill on the floor and passed.

Your right about that Jed. We don't have much of a choice. Its a long story on Asa. Asa tried a friend of mine 3 times hung jury all 3 times. Asa was all set to try him the fourth time when the Judge stepped and stopped it.

It is not the GOP that got govt into my personal healthcare choices.
It's not the GOP that wants to legislate away my 2nd amendment rights.
It's not the GOP that wants to ignore illegal immigration and not enforce current standing state and federal statutes.
It's not the GOP that wants to divest me and others of wealth or income.

greybeard":2eznkhmc said:
It's not the GOP that wants to ignore illegal immigration and not enforce current standing state and federal statutes.
AMEN, well said and thank you.

Caustic Burno":30czfmr0 said:
It also makes both parties have to really work together for the benefit of the state.
The Lt Gov is president of the senate. If they are of opposing parties they have to really work together
to get a bill on the floor and passed.

Except the dems have a habit of just fleeing the state when legislation they don't like comes up for a vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Ds

greybeard":2l4qmd3g said:

It is the GOP that wants to legislate personal healthcare choices for women.

It is the GOP that wants to legislate 2nd amendment rights-- check out who was in office when full autoloaders were banned. Passing legislation as far as minimizing the magnitude of firepower is not exactly abolishing the second amendment...

It is the GOP that wants to dictate what behavior you engage in within the confines of your home. And who you can engage in it with. I'm not queer nor would I ever support an abortion BUT it is NOT in ANYWAY the govt's right or responsibility to even comment on these two issues much less legislate on them.

I own an arsenal of fire power and am not threatened by the Dem party not one iota. The logic behind the GOPs principles --- well, are illogical. You trust your neighbor to be responsible with a machine gun or legal explosives but you don't trust him with a bottle of home-made wine or a joint? The logic??? Either people are responsible and can govern for themselves or they're not and need the 'guidance' of a governing body. The irony on display when some folks try to pick and choose when it comes to personal responsibility..

It is the GOP that pushes for censorship of material 'they' don't deem necessary or appropriate. "keep em dumb -- easy to manipulate 'em then" -- literally the mantra of the GOP. It's no coincidence why the GOP always votes against education. But jail funding? you betcha they're all for it! The GOP 'is' crony capitalism.

IT IS THE GOP THAT ATTEMPTS TO PRIVATIZE THE COMMONS.

Latest posts