Texas Trip Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
My brother in law and I are planning a short trip to San Antonio/Austin, to celebrate his 30 birthday. It is kind of spur of the moment, but we will be flying into San Antonio staying one night then heading to Austin for two nights then flying back out of San Antonio. We will have a rental car, and want to eat as much Texas BBQ and drink as much local beer as we can while seeing some sights. Plan on trying Salt Lick and possibly Franklin's. I am wondering if anyone could give any recommendations on food or sight seeing for our trip. Time will be our biggest limiting factor, but we would enjoy seeing as much as we could. I am sure it will be a lot different that northeastern Alabama. Thanks in advance. We will be traveling towards the end of March.

If you want to see Austin, then go ahead, but please keep in mind that it's not representative of the rest of the state. There's a reason it's referred to as "The People's Republic of Austin".

In San Antonio The Alamo, Institute of Texan Culture, The Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum, The History Shop, there are a couple of Ripleys believe it or not museums and a World record museum if you are into that kind of stuff, Texas Transportation Musuem, and Texas Aviation Museum.

On the way between San Antonio and Austin there is a Cabellas in Buda. I love going there they have an old gun library.

In Austin people watching is fun or scary lol. If you like drinking and partying with good music 6th street. The Bullock Texas State Museum is really good.

Gruene hall, Albert dance hall, luckenbach, the riverwalk, and enchanted rock would be a good start. Cooper's BBQ in llano is pretty hard to beat. Perhaps the bluebonnets will be blooming then.

After considering the previous posts, if you do decide to go to Austin, County Line has great BBQ & the Oasis on Lake Travis has good food & always a live band. Absolutely agree with Wacocowboy about 6th street!

Thanks for all the excellent ideas. I had no idea Austin was such a yuppie town. I guess that is why it says keep Austin wierd? I have been to El Paso a few times when my brother was stationed there so this will all be new culture to me. We may need to reevaluate and look into staying longer into San Antonio instead of Austin.

northcreek":3ltxivmz said:
Thanks for all the excellent ideas. I had no idea Austin was such a yuppie town. I guess that is why it says keep Austin wierd? I have been to El Paso a few times when my brother was stationed there so this will all be new culture to me. We may need to reevaluate and look into staying longer into San Antonio instead of Austin.

Austin
Liberal hippies,yuppies and beatniks.

Look north,west, or south of San Antonio for Texas culture and scenery.
As mentioned by ranchman llano is a great town, and beautiful country. Legendary white bass run up the Colorado river march to April.
Check out Colorado bend state park..

callmefence":2n7j9v4f said:
northcreek":2n7j9v4f said:

Austin

As mentioned by ranchman llano is a great town, and beautiful country. Legendary white bass run up the Colorado river march to April.

What's wrong with east?

While in San Antonio, check out the Menger Hotel and Bar. The bar is really historic and a cool place. It is where Teddy Rosevelt recruited the Rough Riders.

Rafter S":3t7fcxuv said:
callmefence":3t7fcxuv said:
northcreek":3t7fcxuv said:

Austin

What's wrong with east?

I forgot east. Nothing wrong as long as you do don't mess round and go to far. ;-)

callmefence":3736brru said:
wacocowboy":3736brru said:
You could always go to Hippie Hollow down by Austin for a refreshing dip in Lake Travis.

You won't see anything that you wanna see... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :help: :hide:
That's the truth. The ones with no cloths need to wear a burka.

HDRider":2zk8gr3k said:
callmefence":2zk8gr3k said:
wacocowboy":2zk8gr3k said:
You could always go to Hippie Hollow down by Austin for a refreshing dip in Lake Travis.

You won't see anything that you wanna see... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :help: :hide:
That's the truth. The ones with no cloths need to wear a burka.
Sounds like a couple of y'all been down on lake Travis noodling .

callmefence":34bpuutj said:
wacocowboy":34bpuutj said:

You got that right. Even this time of year. As a friend of mine told me over the weekend as we were people watching at the Mardi Gras parade on Bolivar Pennisula...."Spandex and yoga pants never lie".

wacocowboy":8f4ns33s said:

We lived on the north shore of Lake Travis when the party barge capsized by Hippie Hollow; it was rented for the gay/lesbian Splash Day and they all ran over to one side of the barge to check out the nude sunbathers. Quintessential Austin.
http://hippiehollow.com/news/news_comme ... 10_0_2_0_C

Latest posts