Texas style BBQ (Baker's Ribs)

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Opinions on Baker's Ribs

Owner pit master Joe Duncan. 10 locations 6 are franchises all in Texas except for 1 lone outpost in Minnesota.
I ate there for the first time yesterday. Only time I've had what is billed as genuine Texas Style BBQ.
Joe Duncan claims they sell 750,000 lbs of smoked meats per year.

Here is the 2017 top 10 list of "Best In The World" as reviewed by Texas Monthly... all just happen to be in Texas :)

1. Snow's BBQ Lexington, Texas population 1100
2. Franklin Barbecue, Austin
3. Cattleack Barbecue, Dallas
4. Bodacious Bar-B-Q, Longview
5. Louie Mueller Barbecue, Taylor
6. Tejas Chocolate Craftory, Tomball
7. Corkscrew BBQ, Spring
8. Micklethwait Craft Meats, Austin
9. Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue, Wolfforth
10. Truth Barbecue, Brenham

Baker's Ribs was named in the 10 best bbq ribs in the Twin Cities...
I was wondering if anyone could tell me, how Baker's Ribs compare with this top 10 list from Texas.

Anyone think some other place/s should've made the Texas top 10 list?

I wouldn't put too much importance on what Texas Monthly says.
A magazine for and by city folk, yuppies and millennials.

There's one on I-30 not to far from me and I stopped for lunch one day. Ribs were dry and brisket was average, and I didn't see a reason to return. GB's right about Texas Monthly. I read an article about a catfish place in Bells, which is a little north of me, and you would have thought is was the best catfish in the nation. That article made the guy a lot of money from the one and done crowd (including me) and closed within a year. Did some asking about it and turns out to be a freelance guy that sold TM the article.

Doubt he is still there, but years ago, there was a fella selling BBQ sandwiches right from the side of FM 244 south of Iola. Best BBQ brisket sandwich I have had to this day. 5$ and he would give you a sandwich big enough for 2 to share, bag of chips and a canned coke. Had his smoker set up right alongside the road..if it was smoking, I was stopping.

bball":32fs8jrs said:
Doubt he is still there, but years ago, there was a fella selling BBQ sandwiches right from the side of FM 244 south of Iola. Best BBQ brisket sandwich I have had to this day. 5$ and he would give you a sandwich big enough for 2 to share, bag of chips and a canned coke. Had his smoker set up right alongside the road..if it was smoking, I was stopping.

Vincik's in East Bernard makes a really good barbecue sandwich. It's not a restaurant, just meat market/grocery store.

We have 2-3 BBQ places that have been here several years. None are worth stopping at IMO, but 2 of them both seem to be doing a fair amt of business to the blue collar working folks nearby. Brisket is dry and both brisket and pork ribs are slathered with a thin and overly sweet sauce that appears to be the results of watering their sauce down to make it stretch more. Sausage is just generic store bought and heated up some. It'll make a turd I guess but nothing to write home about.

Got one franchise place too (I forget the name..maybe Baileys) that is 'Texas' BBQ in name only.

Best BBQ I've found is usually some little hole-in-the-wall type place out in the middle of nowhere where no one gets in a hurry or worry about whether they end up on one of these lists.
(I've yet to make it out to Lockhart or Taylor in recent years, so I could be completely wrong in that assessment)

Rafter S":1e27cwza said:
bball":1e27cwza said:

Vincik's in East Bernard makes a really good barbecue sandwich. It's not a restaurant, just meat market/grocery store.

What you and greybeard said has been my experience as well. Often, the tastiest food is off the beaten path or not a 'true' restaurant per se.

Many years ago I hunted on a deer lease over in the Piney Woods of East texas. An old black man had a run down building that he had cooked BBQ out of for ages. Got to stopping in there pretty regular and soon learned the price of a BBQ sandwich was "One cold beer". What a deal. Only think I didn't like about it was the four or five old hound dogs he had out back on a chain getting fat. Come back a week later and they would all be gone. But what do you expect for "one cold beer". lolol

bball":3eupgq97 said:
Rafter S":3eupgq97 said:
bball":3eupgq97 said:

What you and greybeard said has been my experience as well. Often, the tastiest food is off the beaten path or not a 'true' restaurant per se.

Exactly. For example, some of the best breakfast tacos I've ever had have been in convenience stores.

TexasBred":3c5dhmny said:
Many years ago I hunted on a deer lease over in the Piney Woods of East texas. An old black man had a run down building that he had cooked BBQ out of for ages. Got to stopping in there pretty regular and soon learned the price of a BBQ sandwich was "One cold beer". What a deal. Only think I didn't like about it was the four or five old hound dogs he had out back on a chain getting fat. Come back a week later and they would all be gone. But what do you expect for "one cold beer". lolol
'round here, those places have, for the most part been replaced by people whose currency = cerveza fria.
I try to avoid barbacoa that looks like it has teeth in it tho.

greybeard":2fkpra3n said:
I wouldn't put too much importance on what Texas Monthly says.
A magazine for and by city folk, yuppies and millennials.
Yeah....kinda like my own...... I just may not have the consistency needed to make the list. :lol2: