Texas Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":24moapwm said:
My apologies CB, it appeared that there are not lot of Texas Longhorn that carrying African horned gene. So that's why I never seen any horned calves out of a LH and a homozygous polled bull suggesting that these specific longhorns do not have African horned gene. Does you know which bloodline of longhorns that has African horned gene?

Taurus":15046sbq said:
Caustic Burno":15046sbq said:
My apologies CB, it appeared that there are not lot of Texas Longhorn that carrying African horned gene. So that's why I never seen any horned calves out of a LH and a homozygous polled bull suggesting that these specific longhorns do not have African horned gene. Does you know which bloodline of longhorns that has African horned gene?

No skin lost son I thought along the same lines for a long time. LH's started getting popular around here because they were
cheap to buy and raise. When I started seeing one every now then made me scratch my head.
Have no idea on line or if his are registered, big business owner in the city has a ranch up here has LH and Angus have seen several out of his. What is more weird quite a few with nubs for horns. If it stops raining and I can remember I will try to get a picture of one
or two.

cowgirl8":33xo2hmf said:
If i had my choice, every cow in my herds would be all colored up and psychedelic and so would their calves. I fight it constantly... black calves are so boring :yuck:
Your calves don't have to be black to be good. Solid colors are preferred or at least conservative markings. You may like the wild colored calves, but the crusty old stocker operator or feed yard manager will cut those paints and spots off a load of cattle because they stick out and make the group look less uniform. They stick out like a sore thumb. Perception is everything.

How are your cattle registered? TLBAA, ITLA or CTLR? It is truly shocking how single trait selection (horn length) in the last 30 years has damaged what now passes for a pure Texas Longhorn. While I have a soft spot for longhorns and run some, they probably are best looked at as pasture ornaments in terms of consistent head over head profitability.

Only problem I have with LHs is those dang horns. If you scoop them when they are young they make some very good cows. You get a good enough bull you can fool the buyers at the sale. I thought about going LH with a Brangus,Beefmaster or Char bull.

BC":1creh400 said:
cowgirl8":1creh400 said:
If i had my choice, every cow in my herds would be all colored up and psychedelic and so would their calves. I fight it constantly... black calves are so boring :yuck:
Your calves don't have to be black to be good. Solid colors are preferred or at least conservative markings. You may like the wild colored calves, but the crusty old stocker operator or feed yard manager will cut those paints and spots off a load of cattle because they stick out and make the group look less uniform. They stick out like a sore thumb. Perception is everything.
My business sense knows this and is why our herds produce mostly black calves. We use to have sims and i miss the days when our calves were all fun spotted....Our black calves are now boring and all look alike to me.

js1234":17wrtmso said:
How are your cattle registered? TLBAA, ITLA or CTLR? It is truly shocking how single trait selection (horn length) in the last 30 years has damaged what now passes for a pure Texas Longhorn. While I have a soft spot for longhorns and run some, they probably are best looked at as pasture ornaments in terms of consistent head over head profitability.

Mine are registered ITLA. My couple have been bred for meat and horn, not just horn. I've seen quite a few poor looking longhorns and tried to avoid those :)

Here is the reason buyers dock longhorns and any that show this kind of chrome. Here are 2 calves out of the same registered angus bull. They are also the same age within a couple weeks. Both are out of heifers. This longhornX will never grow like the angus. Not sure if her mother is all longhorn, i'm going to assume she's not...
Its sad that there are longhorns that might produce like a angus and will lose at the sale barn. The friend though who raised pet longhorns did very well. If you go into the longhorn business, that would be the way to go for sure..

I'm no expert when it comes to Longhorns... just wanted to share some pictures of a couple of our pasture ornaments (wife's herd that stay in the front pasture by the house!

Big Momma that was bred to a LWB BA... still came out with a skunk stripe:
DSC_0038_zps35a84e1b.jpg

Same bull... different Momma (calves are still what I would call "Chicken-Legged").
DSC_0028_zps56c37784.jpg

We have a few more but I don't have any pictures right now.

Latest posts