Texas Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice discussion on Texas Longhorns! Pros and cons always welcome.

We have over 100 registered and eligible to register. Running 3 high end bulls. Have about 50-60 breeding cows. Rest are calves and near yearlings. Our cows range from about 950 to 1050 lbs. Bulls in the 1400 range.

All of ours are raised on grass and grass hay. No supplements other than minerals and salt. We slaughter 3 to 6 under 30 months each year for our farmer's market sales which have been good. We have good demand for grass fed, no hormones or steroids, no antibiotics, etc. Any older animals that are no longer appropriate for our program that we don't sell are turned into ground beef and/or smoked sausages. Tenderness is best in yearlings or two yearolds.

Go to our website for photos of some of our herd. We breed for horn and good body styles. Don't pull calves and have about 95% easy calving, survival rate. On rare occasion one calf will "fail to thrive", but that's the cattle business!

All of ours are gentle. If, by chance a calf turns out to be an "idiot" he goes to sale barn. We can manage our Longhorns with one person...they all have a "pasture name" and respond to us, including hand signals. If a cow doesn't raise a calf every year she is candidate for sale barn or our packaged USDA inspected beef sales program. We sell to new breeders, established breeders, cross-breeders to commercial cattle, and occasional "pasture ornament" customer.

Bill

I was able to find some of the bloodlines of the good Longhorn steers I owned. Of course they were castrated and not registered so don't know the exact breeding on any of them. They supposedly were either sired by or went back to 7HD Billy Bob and Cowcatcher. I'm 100% positive about them going back to those two for sure. Any other bloodlines I'm not sure about.

Taurus":34s2yxb2 said:
cowgirl8":34s2yxb2 said:
I dont deal with horns, have had only a few horned cows and those were long ago with our old sim bulls. The calf pictured is half longhorn half angus...So, what are the chances of the calf having horns? Technically, we have no idea what the cow is and assume she's longhorn. My daughter bought her at a sale barn to give to my other daughter. She gave 30 bucks for it, she barely survived.. It is quite possible that she's not full longhorn..Will this be evident that she's not full if the calf does not grow horns? Or will the 1/2 angus keep her from getting them?
Polled gene is dominant over horned gene, means if you bred a homozygous polled bull to a horned cow, his offspring will be heterozygous polled but carrying horned genes. You won't get horns unless you bred them to a horned or a heterozygous polled bull. Stick with registered homozygous polled bulls and you will be fine.

That rule doesn't hold true on longhorns. I will agree on the others not LH.
Neighbor has a couple and breeds them to my bulls or the other neighbors every year.
That Longhorn gene is strong on color and horns.
He has breed those two cows to polled Hereford and Angus and 3out 4 had horn's.
They don't have horns like a LH but they are horned.
He bought a heifer AngusXLH out of another Angus, is horned with wild color pattern.
Neighbor is supposed to be bringing her sometime this month to breed to my Angus.
I am real interested in seeing what that progeny looks like.

Caustic Burno":16lu8ovi said:
Taurus":16lu8ovi said:
cowgirl8":16lu8ovi said:
I dont deal with horns, have had only a few horned cows and those were long ago with our old sim bulls. The calf pictured is half longhorn half angus...So, what are the chances of the calf having horns? Technically, we have no idea what the cow is and assume she's longhorn. My daughter bought her at a sale barn to give to my other daughter. She gave 30 bucks for it, she barely survived.. It is quite possible that she's not full longhorn..Will this be evident that she's not full if the calf does not grow horns? Or will the 1/2 angus keep her from getting them?
Polled gene is dominant over horned gene, means if you bred a homozygous polled bull to a horned cow, his offspring will be heterozygous polled but carrying horned genes. You won't get horns unless you bred them to a horned or a heterozygous polled bull. Stick with registered homozygous polled bulls and you will be fine.

That rule doesn't hold true on longhorns. I will agree on the others not LH.
Neighbor has a couple and breeds them to my bulls or the other neighbors every year.
That Longhorn gene is strong on color and horns.
He has breed those two cows to polled Hereford and Angus and 3out 4 had horn's.
They don't have horns like a LH but they are horned.
He bought a heifer AngusXLH out of another Angus, is horned with wild color pattern.
Neighbor is supposed to be bringing her sometime this month to breed to my Angus.
I am real interested in seeing what that progeny looks like.
You can get rid of longhorn colors if the longhorn is solid colored. I've seen few LH crosses and the horns never show up every time they bred the longhorns and longhorn crosses to PROVEN homozygous polled bulls.

I know that it does take years to get rid of the white, the signature skunk tail. It will show up many years later...I'm not sure there are solid longhorns, but, just like every breed i'm sure someone is developing solid black ones lol.

cowgirl8":1m04gxdh said:
I know that it does take years to get rid of the white, the signature skunk tail. It will show up many years later...I'm not sure there are solid longhorns, but, just like every breed i'm sure someone is developing solid black ones lol.
Homozygous black longhorns are already on markets.

Angus is as homozygous as they get and horns still show up. As well as wild colors.
Lot of people in this part of the world buy LH at the salebarn for pennies compared to
dollars on the beef breeds every week and put an Angus or Brangus bull on them.

It is real hard to knock the chrome off a LH and Shorthorn
and the horns on a LH they are outliers.

Caustic Burno":ucn63xpa said:
Angus is as homozygous as they get and horns still show up. As well as wild colors.
Lot of people in this part of the world buy LH at the salebarn for pennies compared to

You don't say that these bulls were proven homozygous polled. There's few heterozygous polled angus (these bulls shouldn't be registered) existed. Yes its hard to knock the chrome WHEN you have a wild colored LH mated to a solid bull but Ive find out that its easy to breed chrome out of shorthorns.

Taurus":1cb7sf96 said:
Caustic Burno":1cb7sf96 said:

You don't say that these bulls were proven homozygous polled. There's few heterozygous polled angus (these bulls shouldn't be registered) existed. Yes its hard to knock the chrome WHEN you have a wild colored LH mated to a solid bull but Ive find out that its easy to breed chrome out of shorthorns.

They are proven and you will still get a horned calf out of a LH not every one but a lot.

Isn't she cute?! The breeder I got the cow from had a couple yearlings with that same coloration. We probably won't be keeping any of this years calves but I have until weaning to decide :)

If i had my choice, every cow in my herds would be all colored up and psychedelic and so would their calves. I fight it constantly... black calves are so boring :yuck:

Caustic Burno":1dogvi9c said:
Taurus":1dogvi9c said:
Caustic Burno":1dogvi9c said:

They are proven and you will still get a horned calf out of a LH not every one but a lot.
:bs: based on what? By look at the bull's papers that they are proven homozygous polled? Or did they never got tested for horned genes? If your bulls sired horned calves then I would say that your bulls are not homozygous polled.

I am glad that the African Horn Gene may prove CB right; and then no need for calling :bs:

Latest posts